PDA

View Full Version : birthday bike for 15 year old

Fixed
11-14-2007, 09:28 AM
http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/monocog-29er.html
since he doesn't ride his road bike any more( golf ) at least i can get him on the trails sometimes $500 and it's a 21 inch he's a tall kid
good idea ?

cheers

Acotts
11-14-2007, 09:37 AM
I got a Bianchi SASS with a rear disk brake that I could sell you. It defenatley needs some love, but the parts should be good and it is not too marked up. There is a small tear in the seat, and I am missing the front Disk brake (I took it off becuase I got frustrated with it, and then lost the parts...oops.) It is a 19.5. If you are willing to put in a few sheckles, this could be a pretty awesome bike again.

I could get it to you for $50 plus shipping. Or a trade for a working 68 english BB single speed crank.

BURCH
11-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I inherited my older brother's redline BMX bike as a kid when he stared driving. I loved that bike. I did some pretty stupid stuff on it and luckily never broke anything.

That is a sweet bike for any kid.

J.Greene
11-14-2007, 09:53 AM
since he doesn't ride his road bike any more( golf ) at least i can get him on the trails sometimes $500 and it's a 21 inch he's a tall kid
good idea ?

cheers

Those bikes are good for many smiles.

JG

old_school
11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
you're a good dad

Ken Robb
11-14-2007, 10:05 AM
a lot of kids think the more trick gears and suspension the better the bike. Will he appreciate a single speed or think it's a cheap junker?

Viper
11-14-2007, 10:06 AM
good idea ?

cheers

Looking at that crank brings back memories. I had a Hutch Superstar back in the day, bear claw pedals, three piece cranks and dice valve caps. The sh*t I did on that bike, amazing to still be alive. That bike ran on sweat and Hi-C Punch by the metal-canned half gallon. Great time to watch BMX begin as well as mountain bikes. I hope he gets his bike and beats the snot out of it. Redline was an awesome bike back in the day.

Fixed
11-14-2007, 10:23 AM
a lot of kids think the more trick gears and suspension the better the bike. Will he appreciate a single speed or think it's a cheap junker?
bro he's been around me and my bikes are his to ride whenever he wants
cheers
i am thinkin this will go to college with him someday
cheers

BURCH
11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Looking at that crank brings back memories. I had a Hutch Superstar back in the day, bear claw pedals, three piece cranks and dice valve caps. The sh*t I did on that bike, amazing to still be alive. That bike ran on sweat and Hi-C Punch by the metal-canned half gallon. Great time to watch BMX begin as well as mountain bikes. I hope he gets his bike and beats the snot out of it. Redline was an awesome bike back in the day.

Oh yeah. Now you are talking!!! Dice valve caps and bear claw pedals.

I also had Mushroom grips, checker board pads on the top tube, stem and cross bar on the handlebars. Tabletop jumps...sweet! :)

J.Greene
11-14-2007, 10:27 AM
cheers
cheers

I rode one around downtown at the races back in March. Security at the courthouse got a little mad at me, but those steps were just too tempting. That is a go anywhere bike.

JG

Kevan
11-14-2007, 10:29 AM
that's where it seems bikes climb under their skin. My daughter is hooked, though her sense of what a long ride is all about has yet been tested.

All in good time my dearie, all in good time....

Fixed
11-14-2007, 11:10 AM
he's been riding and racin for a long time he saw a bad crash where the cats at a crit were in the gutter for 20 min. before the e.m.t.'s got there .he used to do the adult trainning crits when he was 10 i.b. student takes after mom imho
cheers

davids
11-14-2007, 11:14 AM
good idea ?

cheers
It's a cool bike, but if he wants to play golf, is it going to get him on the trails?

I've stopped trying to persuade my daughter to ride a bike when what she wants to do is skate, or dance, or... I'm just trying to set an example by making time to do something I love, and that keeps me healthy. It would be great if she wanted to ride, but as long as she finds something that makes her happy, I'm happy for her.

p.s. He sounds like a great kid, and you're clearly a great dad. Just my two cents...

Acotts
11-14-2007, 11:25 AM
Did i mention there is a decal on my bike that says:
"Your bike sucks".

Its a stock decal. It makes a very powerful anti-authority statement that any 15 year old will love.

:beer:

gdw
11-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Nice basic bombproof bike with the fashionable (29in.) big wheels. Kent Petersen rode the Continental Divide Race on the 26in wheeled version so it will stand up to most of the abuse a teen can dish out and any broken parts can be easily and inexpensely repaired or replaced.

maunahaole
11-14-2007, 01:27 PM
that sass sounds like a sweet deal...fun project.

Fixed
11-16-2007, 08:24 PM
monocog 29er picked it up today 21inch frame it seems like yesterday i was holding his hand when we went out
it is in the back shed till tuesday
cheers

i rode around to check it out like a 4x4 truck

BURCH
11-16-2007, 09:04 PM
monocog 29er picked it up today 21inch frame it seems like yesterday i was holding his hand when we went out
it is in the back shed till tuesday
cheers

i rode around to check it out like a 4x4 truck

Nice!

ericspin
11-17-2007, 08:34 AM
hey this looks likes fun. wher'd ya get it? i have been lovin' my timax 29er and have thought about replacing the front shock fork with a good quality ridgid fork for it but i bet this redline would be a blast......

Fixed
11-17-2007, 08:37 AM
hey this looks likes fun. wher'd ya get it? i have been lovin' my timax 29er and have thought about replacing the front shock fork with a good quality ridgid fork for it but i bet this redline would be a blast......
joe haskins on fla
cheers

Fixed
11-20-2007, 07:42 PM
bro he liked it this weekend some single track maybe
cheers thanks

333halfevil
11-21-2007, 08:42 PM
How about buying him a BMX Ottrott. Just trying to rally up some support to try and get Ben to start a BMX line. :bike:

rounder
11-21-2007, 08:57 PM
cheers
cheers

Fixed, my guess is that anything from you will make him happy and probably he will love it forever, Anything beyond that, he should do on his own and he will find his own way.