PDA

View Full Version : Satin/ polished finish

jpw
11-14-2007, 04:57 AM
What is the difference between a satin ti finish and a polished ti finish please? Visually they seem very similar.

Points: I assume they can both be restored to like-new condition after a few years of ubuse.

Can both finishes be painted? Is the polished surface able to 'take' paint? Thx.

Blue Jays
11-14-2007, 05:05 AM
Satin can almost be described as a "brushed" finish with titanium frames as opposed to a "glossier" finish achieved via polishing.
My personal opinion for the best way to go for ease-of-maintenance and fantastic appearance is a brushed/satin frameset that is subsequently clearcoated at the factory.

Clearcoat will chip like any other paint, but a clearcoated titanium frame that just returned from a 100-mile ride will often look cleaner than a recently-detailed raw titanium bike. That is just the nature of the gray metal.
Mine is clearcoated but I left the driveline chainstay raw in case of chain slap...although I do have a chainstay protector attached as well.

dawgie
11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
One of the primary advantages of ti frames is their ease of maintenance because there is no paint to scratch or chip. Polished ti frames, however, will show smudges, dirt, fingerprints, etc. much more so than brushed ti. When a brushed ti frame gets really grimy or scratched, you can just touch it up with a Scotchbrite pad using a circular motion. I bought a used ti frame (brushed) several years ago, and it looked like new after I cleaned it and brushed it with a Scotchbrite pad.

jpw
11-14-2007, 12:19 PM
One of the primary advantages of ti frames is their ease of maintenance because there is no paint to scratch or chip. Polished ti frames, however, will show smudges, dirt, fingerprints, etc. much more so than brushed ti. When a brushed ti frame gets really grimy or scratched, you can just touch it up with a Scotchbrite pad using a circular motion. I bought a used ti frame (brushed) several years ago, and it looked like new after I cleaned it and brushed it with a Scotchbrite pad.

So why would someone prefer a polished finish? I find it difficult to easily distinguish between satin and polished.

SPOKE
11-14-2007, 12:22 PM
are you speaking of Serotta's version of the finishes or other brands compared to Serotta's. there is some difference between manufacturers.

Karin Kirk
11-14-2007, 12:23 PM
Someone would prefer a polished finish if they like shiny things.
More bling, brighter, etc.

What is that kind of bird that brings shiny objects to its nest to attract the girl birds? If you were one of those birds you'd want the polished finish.

Ozz
11-14-2007, 12:28 PM
So why would someone prefer a polished finish?.
Cuz it is shiny and looks cool.....

I find it difficult to easily distinguish between satin and polished.
My Legend is polished with satin "decals"....the difference is pretty obivous....polished is shiny, and satin is not.

I've never had a problem with smudges or fingerprints and just hose down my bike after wet rides. A quick wipe with a towel and I am finished. About once a month or so I will give it a real bath with soap & water, and polish with some Pledge.

What is that kind of bird that brings shiny objects to its nest to attract the girl birds?.
Bower Birds

jpw
11-14-2007, 01:30 PM
are you speaking of Serotta's version of the finishes or other brands compared to Serotta's. there is some difference between manufacturers.

I'm thinking Serotta. I couldn't see what the difference was between the two finishes. Only a slight variation to my eyes.

Will polished take paint? Thx.

Pete Serotta
11-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Both will take paint but once painted SEROTTA says they can not "unpaint" and bring back to polish.

I have the polished (which is not the same as the ole Lightspeed polish which was almost like chrome). Folks have in the past had a polished frame with the lettering in "matt" unpolished or they have reversed it with frame matt and lettering polished..

I'm thinking Serotta. I couldn't see what the difference was between the two finishes. Only a slight variation to my eyes.

dave thompson
11-14-2007, 01:46 PM

Here's a couple of pics of a Legend I used to have that was (what Serotta calls) Natural Polished & Matte Titanium.

The 'polished' ti can take paint with the correct prep, I've had two ti bike painted.

Dave
11-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Here's a picture of a 1998 Litespeed Ultimate with a full mirror polish. The color rendition is great, the tires are yellow.