PDA

View Full Version : Waxing a front bag...

tbushnel
11-13-2007, 09:29 PM
Now did that title have you guessing? I have finished my 650B conversion and I now have a front rack on the bike. I would love to put a smaller Berthoud bag on it, but I don't have the coin for that. I converted an old trunk bag to a front bag which seems to work well. The only thing is that the bag lets a lot of water through when it rains. It is synthetic material.

I was wondering whether I could just drip some wax on it or something to try and make it somewhat water resistant. Anyone know whether this is possible and if so how to do it?

Thanks,
TEd.

Viper
11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
Now did that title have you guessing? I have finished my 650B conversion and I now have a front rack on the bike. I would love to put a smaller Berthoud bag on it, but I don't have the coin for that. I converted an old trunk bag to a front bag which seems to work well. The only thing is that the bag lets a lot of water through when it rains. It is synthetic material.

I was wondering whether I could just drip some wax on it or something to try and make it somewhat water resistant. Anyone know whether this is possible and if so how to do it?

Thanks,
TEd.

I've used wax for some odd/neat things in my life, not a bike bag.

Duct tape FTW.

Duct tape seems to be what we turn to when in doubt. Or packing tape.

TACSTS
11-13-2007, 09:40 PM
Try spraying it with a silicone spray. I forget the name of the kind I've used (on backpacks) but you should be able to find something that would work in a good outdoors store. I wouldn't use real wax on synthetic. Someone at an outdoors store should be able to point you to what you need.

BumbleBeeDave
11-13-2007, 09:48 PM
. . . "Snow Seal" or SnoSeal" with some good luck in the past. It's a paste that you put on the leather, then heat it up with a hair dryer and the paste liquifies and soaks into the leather. It does darken the leather somewhat, but does a great job of waterproofing. I've used it on hiking boots several time with good luck. You can get it at shoe repair or shoe stores. Just make sure and resist the temptation to put it on, then put the whole shoe in the oven set on low to avoid all the time with the hair dryer. It doesn't work--trust me on this . . .

BBD

PacNW2Ford
11-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Nikwax "Cotton Proof" or Filson "Oil Finish" Wax would work.

TACSTS
11-13-2007, 10:05 PM
. . . "Snow Seal" or SnoSeal" with some good luck in the past. It's a paste that you put on the leather, then heat it up with a hair dryer and the paste liquifies and soaks into the leather. It does darken the leather somewhat, but does a great job of waterproofing. I've used it on hiking boots several time with good luck. You can get it at shoe repair or shoe stores. Just make sure and resist the temptation to put it on, then put the whole shoe in the oven set on low to avoid all the time with the hair dryer. It doesn't work--trust me on this . . .

BBD

Yeah, Sno-Seal is great, I use it on all my hiking boots. The silicone spray I've used is made by the Sno-Seal company, it comes in a spray can w/ a bright orange cap.

Reminds me, I probably ought to get out my boots and give them another coat before wet/snowy weather comes.

tbushnel
11-13-2007, 10:35 PM
I am intrigued by the oven idea :D
Sounds like SnoSeal is the deal.
Thanks,
ted.

BumbleBeeDave
11-14-2007, 06:49 AM
. . . got a pair of new Rocksports and wanted to sno-seal them. Thought this hair dryer thing was taking too long so I put them in the oven with the dial on the lowest setting--supposedly just over 100 degrees. Didn't work. The sno-seal DID soak in, but the entire uppers of the shoes shrank at least two sizes--synthetic leather?--and they wouldn't even go on my feet. D'OH!! :crap: :crap:

Don't do it!

BBD

William
11-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Ditto on Snoseal. Great stuff.

William

Kevan
11-14-2007, 07:49 AM
I'm Googling to find some ideas, but the old ways have a hard time finding the internet:

http://www.essortment.com/home/waterproofcanva_sdfg.htm

not cheap:
http://www.giftsforprofessionals.com/925leasp-sf3009.html

I've had similar notions as you and have been looking for the perfect bag and I just might have found it:
http://www.promocanvas.com/images/1822.jpg

Bud
11-14-2007, 07:56 AM
SnoSeal is certainly good stuff for leather (I use it on my boots too), but since this bag is synthetic I'd try some type of DWR finish first, like Nikwax gear proof. Check their website (http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/index.php)-- it's pretty informative.

TACSTS
11-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Yes, do not use regular SnoSeal on your synthetic bag! I thought that was clear. It's for leather only. SnoSeal makes a silicone spray, that is what I was recommending. There are several other companies that make a similar product, I just have used the SnoSeal brand since I've liked their products for leather. Like the above poster mentioned Nikwax, Kiwi, and others make something very similar that would work as well.

If you ask a competent employee at a good outdoors store, you'll get what you need.

Chad Engle
11-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Scotchguard or the Filson Oil Wax.

tbushnel
11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I appreciate the input.

TACSTS,Bud - Thanks for the clarification on the SnoSeal. I am not sure I picked up on that the first time, though I was kidding about the oven.

BBDave - good oven story! Note to self, never ever use the oven to...

Kevan - interesting canvas bag. If you get one you'll have to post a pic on the bike. I like the home recipe for waterproofing as well. Thanks for the links.

Ted,.

Kevan
11-14-2007, 10:20 AM
http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/22.htm

"The best treatment for acrylic canvas is a fluoropolymer-based product. This type of treatment is compatible with the original finish, and it gives excellent and long-lasting results."

maunahaole
11-14-2007, 12:28 PM
the warm oven trick works well for leather or natural fibers if you are using a wax based sealer. the stuff will just melt into the fibers when you apply it. for synthetic - use a nikwax product, you can probably find it at a good ski store or camping store.

cw05
11-14-2007, 01:25 PM
Barbour makes a nice wax to retreat their waxed cotton jackets. Most retailers that sell their jackets sell the wax in cans that you heat up in a pan of hot water and apply with a cloth.