PDA

View Full Version : Ebay auction was cancelled by Ebay for my IF Cross Bike

DarrenCT
11-13-2007, 07:18 PM
So the auction ends, I think I've sold it for $910 and then I check my email tonight and get this email from Ebay saying that the auction was cancelled because someone hacked into the winning bidder's account. What the hell is this all about?

Here is the first bit from the email from Ebay....

Dear darrenptm (darrenlavallee@gmail.com),

The results of the following listing(s) have been cancelled due to bidding activity that took place without the account owner's authorization:

290178899134 Independent Fabrication PlanetX Cyclocross Bike 55/57cm

We have cancelled the listing(s) to maintain the integrity of the eBay site, your account, and the bidder?s account that was accessed. We are working to restore the bidding account to its rightful owner, and we are working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity. Since the account owner did not initiate these bids, all fees resulting from the listings in question will be credited to your account within 7 days. If you do not see the credits posted to your account after 7 days, please feel free to contact us through ?Contact Us? in our Help section.

DarrenCT
11-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Anyone want to buy this frameset + crank + headset for $900 + shipping? :)

Blue Jays
11-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear about the disappointment. The good news is you still have your bike, they'll credit any fees, and you didn't lose money on a sale.

:beer:

ButtedMoron
11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
too bad

some hacker f'in up yer deal grrrrrrrrr

sorry

markie
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Yea,

And the pissa is that often the second time around things do not sell for as much.

Did you send out second chance offers to the other bidders?

jimcav
11-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Anyone want to buy this frameset + crank + headset for $900 + shipping? :)
maybe if the bidders aren't hidden from you the seller you can email them a 2nd chance offer?

sorry to hear it--ebay did that to me once for suspected bidding, and another time becasue i mentioned something about see my other auctions for brand X. really annoying--it was early enough they could have emailed me, given me a day to change it, but nope, they just deleted the listing

jim

norman neville
11-13-2007, 07:33 PM
that sux.

barry1021
11-13-2007, 07:33 PM
So the auction ends, I think I've sold it for $910 and then I check my email tonight and get this email from Ebay saying that the auction was cancelled because someone hacked into the winning bidder's account. What the hell is this all about?

Here is the first bit from the email from Ebay....

Dear darrenptm (darrenlavallee@gmail.com),

The results of the following listing(s) have been cancelled due to bidding activity that took place without the account owner's authorization:

290178899134 Independent Fabrication PlanetX Cyclocross Bike 55/57cm

We have cancelled the listing(s) to maintain the integrity of the eBay site, your account, and the bidder?s account that was accessed. We are working to restore the bidding account to its rightful owner, and we are working with the account owner to prevent any additional unauthorized activity. Since the account owner did not initiate these bids, all fees resulting from the listings in question will be credited to your account within 7 days. If you do not see the credits posted to your account after 7 days, please feel free to contact us through ?Contact Us? in our Help section.

Like Markie said, if you have somneone that bid $900 send him a second chance offer--better yet contact him through EBAY email and get his regular address and offer it to him outside of EBAY and save the fees. Normally I dont do this, but EBAY is getting so corrupted that I justify it...

b21

ButtedMoron
11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
or second chance is so often used by frauds that it rarely works

I'd try to get the bidders contact info and go direct

it is their security crap that screwed your sale, why should they get commission?

TMB
11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
Agree with my two partners above.

eBay is getting really bad. I have a couple more frames to dispose of then I thiink I'll call it a day on eBay.

Contact your bidder outside of eBay and see if you can sell it that way.

DarrenCT
11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
this totally sucks.

i can't do a second chance offer. they have removed the listing and i can't see the other bidders.

any ideas?

ButtedMoron
11-13-2007, 08:13 PM
tell ebay they owe you 900 smackaroos

ebay has failed to secure their business and they need to get their ****e together

take them to small claims, if enough people do so, maybe they'll clean up their act

seems to me you entered a contract for a service promising to pay them a fee for services provided. they f'd the service. I'm sure they have a disclaimer, I'd sue them anyhow just to be a thorn in their side and make them send a $$$$ lawyer to tell you to shut it.

Kevan
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
with the higher bidders you might be able to continue on your own w/o eBay. I ran into a major snag w/ eBay over a wwII helmet, but I had enough contact w/ interested parties to continue the auction on my own.

Woiked for me.

Sorry about your blitz.

BumbleBeeDave
11-13-2007, 09:05 PM
with the higher bidders you might be able to continue on your own w/o eBay. I ran into a major snag w/ eBay over a wwII helmet, but I had enough contact w/ interested parties to continue the auction on my own.

Woiked for me.

Sorry about your blitz.

Are you and Sandy doing "Cabaret" role playing again? I thought I told you guys to stop that--at least with the curtains open! :eek: :no: ;)

BBD

COI
11-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Are you and Sandy doing "Cabaret" role playing again? I thought I told you guys to stop that--at least with the curtains open! :eek: :no: ;)

BBD

Seriously. You need to shut up. Enough of the gay Sandy-Kevan bull****. Post something meaningful or get off this thread.

Tom Byrnes
11-13-2007, 09:46 PM
Seriously. You need to shut up. Enough of the gay Sandy-Kevan bull****. Post something meaningful or get off this thread.

Hey COI,

Long before you joined this Forum, BBDave, Kevan and Sandy have been participating and contributing with their thoughts, comments and, at times, humor. They are all friends to me and many other people who are part of this Message Board and we understand the good-natured Sandy-Kevan humor as it has been going on for years.

You obviously do not like the humor. That's okay, but there is no need to tell anyone to shut up or speak in such an ugly tone. We all have our differences, but have agreed to be civil and courteous with each other on this Message Board.

If you do not like what anyone writes, you are certainly free to ignore their posts, or . . . you can go away.

Tom Byrnes

dave thompson
11-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey COI,

Long before you joined this Forum, BBDave, Kevan and Sandy have been participating and contributing with their thoughts, comments and, at times, humor. They are all friends to me and many other people who are part of this Message Board and we understand the good-natured Sandy-Kevan humor as it has been going on for years.

You obviously do not like the humor. That's okay, but there is no need to tell anyone to shut up or speak in such an ugly tone. We all have our differences, but have agreed to be civil and courteous with each other on this Message Board.

If you do not like what anyone writes, you are certainly free to ignore their posts, or . . . you can go away.

Tom Byrnes
Please!

COI
11-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Hey COI,

Tom Byrnes

Tom,

Do you participate in the gay Kevan, Sandy love fests that BBD so fondly portrays?

Just Askin'.

BumbleBeeDave
11-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Thanks for being so charitable as to call my ramblings "humor!"

COI . . . Those little faces? They're called "emoticons" or "Smilies"--though not to be confused with forum member in good standing "Smiley." They are there to tell you that I (we) are joking around. Kevan and Sandy started that forum "in" joke about their, uh, "relationship" on their own some years ago. They pursued it for several years before even meeting face to face.

Kevan is a dedicated family man who lives with his wife and kids down toward NYC. Sandy is a retired businessman who lives in the Washington, DC, area. Both are some of the nicest people I've ever met and I'm proud to call them my friends, though I get to see them face-to-face only rarely.

My apologies if I offended you while joking around with my friends. Possibly I spoke too glibly--"Cabaret" has some incredibly good music overlying an incredibly dark and terrifying theme. Perhaps, for all I know, you are Jewish, or your parents were victims of the Nazis. Or any of a dozen other personal things that might have made my joke push a button for you.

In any event, I meant no harm. I'm sorry you took it that way. I hope you'll someday get to come to a forum gathering and meet all of us and see that we are all just a bunch of rude teenagers in old guy's bodies . . . :p

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-13-2007, 10:10 PM
. . . my apologies to you for disrupting your thread. That was certainly not my intention!

eBay may have it's problems, but it's so successful for a very good reason. Even if you relist and get less than $900 the second time around, you still have a very high probability of getting more on eBay than if you just posted an ad locally because you have literally millions of more people potentially seeing your ad. That's going to increase buyer competition and raise the selling price, IMHO.

BBD

dave thompson
11-13-2007, 11:30 PM
.....and your post is meaningful how...?

dnades
11-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Agree with bumblebeedave. When was the last time you got a great deal on ebay? On another note I was unlucky enough to get me ebay account hacked by a third party from England. It took me 4 days to get it straightened out. You can only contact ebay through email (which is difficult when all you email gets sent to another box(the third party's. I recall talking to someone so there is a phone number but it took me awhile to find that. Once they realized what was going on they cancelled all the auctions that I was "in". I had purchased like 20 cell phones and some other smaller expensive electronic toys. I had alot of pissed off people in England emailing me for a day or two. The bummer was you have to freeze your paypal account and go to your bank(who won't do anything until a theft has occurred-go Chase!) call your cards and all that crap to stay safe. So it is a tremendous hassle to have one's account hacked. :crap:

Sucks about your frame though. i'd relist. The chances of it happening to you again are now much smaller than before. So you should be able to sell with impunity. Or is this a myth? Any stat majors out there? I knew this once....

93legendti
11-14-2007, 06:29 AM
Agree with bumblebeedave. When was the last time you got a great deal on ebay?...

Depends upon the size of the bike/frame. For me, it was last week:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=35358

BumbleBeeDave
11-14-2007, 06:37 AM
. . . So it is a tremendous hassle to have one's account hacked. . . . The chances of it happening to you again are now much smaller than before. . . .

. . . to have to be so careful when using eBay. I use PayPal, but don't keep a credit card attached to it, and have a separate checking account I use to make transfers. I only put money in the account when I'm buying something. Otherwise there's only $25 in there to keep it active and so that limits what I can lose if anyone hacks my eBay account. Don't see what you can do about the angry sellers, though, except explain to them what happened. and hope they understand.

BBD

victoryfactory
11-14-2007, 07:04 AM
I recently lost out on an item and then was contacted through a
second chance by the "seller" who said the original winner had backed out and
he would now sell to me.
Only thing was he sounded like a different guy, and had changed the shipping deal so I
said no and reported it to Ebay.
How is it that Ebay can let these people hack into accounts and steal bidder
info. It seems rampant. They need to fix this. It seems like a crap shoot at this point.
What is really maddening is that Ebay is a faceless robotically controlled
entity (like a government) who seems unreachable, unconcerned and unresponsive.

VF

DarrenCT
11-14-2007, 07:15 AM
folks,

Mr. JeeBee has saved the day. He is taking my IF Planet Cross.

down with Ebay. thnx Jack.

-d

victoryfactory
11-14-2007, 07:20 AM
So... you sold your bike on S-bay

Congratulations

But how do you know it's the real Jack?

VF

Mikej
11-14-2007, 07:31 AM
57.5 tt, 15 ish ht = just my size. Serious.

Samster
11-14-2007, 07:40 AM

rwsaunders
11-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Congrats to both of you. Nice ending.

ButtedMoron
11-14-2007, 05:10 PM
I recently lost out on an item and then was contacted through a
second chance by the "seller" who said the original winner had backed out and
he would now sell to me.
Only thing was he sounded like a different guy, and had changed the shipping deal so I
said no and reported it to Ebay.
How is it that Ebay can let these people hack into accounts and steal bidder
info. It seems rampant. They need to fix this. It seems like a crap shoot at this point.
What is really maddening is that Ebay is a faceless robotically controlled
entity (like a government) who seems unreachable, unconcerned and unresponsive.

VF

they seem to be doing so much business they really don't care
my dad got bit by one of these second chance scams

it's always England, heck we invaded Iraq for less reason than that

let's get them :D

or just boycott ebay

John H.
11-14-2007, 06:25 PM
I agree with you about the lack of great deals on E-bay. The cottage days of private sellers are over, shops and quasi-shops dominate e-bay.
The same thing happened to bike swaps 7-8 years ago. They used to be places you could go to unload some used gear, maybe find a great deal on a part or two- now you go to a swap and it is all bike shops and distributors selling their own goods.

Agree with bumblebeedave. When was the last time you got a great deal on ebay? On another note I was unlucky enough to get me ebay account hacked by a third party from England. It took me 4 days to get it straightened out. You can only contact ebay through email (which is difficult when all you email gets sent to another box(the third party's. I recall talking to someone so there is a phone number but it took me awhile to find that. Once they realized what was going on they cancelled all the auctions that I was "in". I had purchased like 20 cell phones and some other smaller expensive electronic toys. I had alot of pissed off people in England emailing me for a day or two. The bummer was you have to freeze your paypal account and go to your bank(who won't do anything until a theft has occurred-go Chase!) call your cards and all that crap to stay safe. So it is a tremendous hassle to have one's account hacked. :crap:

Sucks about your frame though. i'd relist. The chances of it happening to you again are now much smaller than before. So you should be able to sell with impunity. Or is this a myth? Any stat majors out there? I knew this once....

DarrenCT
11-14-2007, 07:36 PM
DOWN WITH EBAY.

I'm not signing in for a week or so. (or until I need a good deal) :crap:

Bud
11-14-2007, 08:30 PM
I picked up a Synchros 1" 0* stem for 99 cents...not too bad a deal.

But seriously: on ebay, caveat emptor dude

jmc22
11-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Dude...sorry to hear about your experience on E-bay... I had the same problem about a year ago when I was selling my Serotta Legend ST frame/fork, about 30 minutes before the bidding ended someone hacked into my auction & then E-bay pulled the trigger on me. It ended up costing me a lot of money because when they pulled the trigger on my auction, they sent the bidders an e-mail saying that it was my fault, that I was a fake...they jumped the gun big time... I tried to re-list it but nobody bidded (the 1st auction was about $3,500.00)..I tried to contact the previous bidders as I had some communications with them about questions...no go, they didn't believe I had the bike even though I had a 99% positive rating, over 400 auctions & was willing to send them any pic of the bike they wanted... I contacted E-bay, a hard feat in itself, they were no help... I held onto the bike for about 3 months & sold it to someone here for about $2,500.00...
Bottom line, unless you are a part of their big sellers club, they won't give you the time of day.
Hope you fair better than I did...

DarrenCT
11-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Dude...sorry to hear about your experience on E-bay... I had the same problem about a year ago when I was selling my Serotta Legend ST, about 30 minutes before the bidding ended someone hacked into my auction & then E-bay pulled the trigg..............

wow that totally sucks. ya i tried to call ebay cust support and couldn't find a number.

luckily a forumite ended up buying it.

ebay--

jmc22
11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Yea it suxs...this was the bike I was selling minus the Zipp wheels
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6502

DarrenCT
11-14-2007, 09:05 PM
Yea it suxs...this was the bike I was selling minus the Zipp wheels
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6502

beauty. sux that ebay f'ed u over.

what r u ridin now?

jmc22
11-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Serotta Ottrott
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=28570

barry1021
11-17-2007, 06:28 AM
DOWN WITH EBAY.

I'm not signing in for a week or so. (or until I need a good deal) :crap:

keep in mind the fact that you may not be signing in doesnt protect you from fraud. Most hijacked identities on EBAY are infrequently used ones. I was inactive for awhile, tried to log on and found I could not. Somebody hijacked me and was "selling" washing machines. I learned early how fraudulent EBAY is and how they protect the seller, legal or otherwise. YMMV

b21