PDA

View Full Version : What is the Law in your State

bzbvh5
11-13-2007, 04:06 PM
BumbleBeeDave's post entitled "Bob Mionske Nails it" got me wondering about conditions and the rights to the road cyclists have in different states:

In Texas: If there are 2 lanes going the same direction the cyclists gets the right one though most cars don't seem to know that. For those of you who don't know, roads in Texas don't leave any room between the curb and the far right lane. If there is 1 lane, then it's single file riding as far to the right as possible. If there is a shoulder like on country roads, ride on that no matter how many crevasses caused by the last drought there are. As Ginger might say: Bike Lane? What Bike Lane? There's a Bike Lane?

Blue Jays
11-13-2007, 04:19 PM
I keep to the right as far as practical, and I'm unwilling to ride in gravel, glass, debris, or ruts to that end. The likelihood of becoming a greater danger to motorists certainly exists because those things could cause a rider to fall into the traffic lane. A steady and predictable rider not as far to the right is typically easier for an approaching motorist to assess and pass.

Competent cyclists typically own the downhills. If there are any sharp bends, most cyclists will outpace the vast majority of motorists and should take the lane if possible to boost visibility both front and rear.

schadenfreude
11-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Assuming you mean out of the city, I ride more or less in the middle of the lane, maybe a foot or two to the right. Riding all the way to the right is just asking to be ignored, and most likely hit.

regularguy412
11-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Arkansas law provides that cyclists are afforded the same rights and responsibilities as motor vehicles. Therefore, we can ride anywhere in the right lane that we want. Recently, Arkansas passed an additional law stating that motorists must allow at least three feet clearance between themselves and a cyclist when overtaking. That said, most Arkansas drivers don't even _KNOW_ the law. Consequently we, as cyclists, don't 'really' expect them to treat us with respect.

When we're on a group ride, we try to line up single-file when we know that there is traffic behind wanting to go around -- even though we are not 'required by law' to do so. Cyclists can be 'right' and also be 'dead right'. If I'm on a solo ride, I typically ride just to the right of the white line - provided there is a decent, paved shoulder. If the shoulder is too narrow or nonexistent, I ride just to the left of the white line -- generally along where the right tire 'rut' is for motorized traffic.

Personally, I'd like to see someone make up white or light colored jerseys with dye sublimation showing the handle of a .357 magnum sticking out of the left-back pocket and the following name on the center back: (insert name of local county here ) Sheriff's Dept. Cycling Team. :D

Mike in AR

rwsaunders
11-13-2007, 05:08 PM
In PA, the unwritten rule unfortunately is....."He who has the vehicle with the greatest mass wins."

Blue Jays
11-13-2007, 05:25 PM
In PA, the unwritten rule unfortunately is....."He who has the vehicle with the greatest mass wins."A similar phrase was once used regarding the British Empire: "Might Makes Right!"
I hear what you're saying...if a car is really pushing the issue there will eventually be a cutout or someplace where one can let the motorist pass. Not worth being dead right. Stay safe out there!

:)

vandeda
11-13-2007, 05:50 PM
BumbleBeeDave's post entitled "Bob Mionske Nails it" got me wondering about conditions and the rights to the road cyclists have in different states:

In Texas: If there are 2 lanes going the same direction the cyclists gets the right one though most cars don't seem to know that. For those of you who don't know, roads in Texas don't leave any room between the curb and the far right lane. If there is 1 lane, then it's single file riding as far to the right as possible. If there is a shoulder like on country roads, ride on that no matter how many crevasses caused by the last drought there are. As Ginger might say: Bike Lane? What Bike Lane? There's a Bike Lane?

In NY, a cyclist is to stay as far right as possible so not to impede traffic. If there is a shoulder, the cyclist is supposed to stay in the shoulder as far right as possible. If there is no shoulder, stay as far right as possible. It doesn't matter how many lanes there are, the cyclist must stay as far right as possible and in the shoulder if there is one. If there is a usuable bicycle lane, the cyclist must ride in that lane.

Exceptions include conditions that prevent the cyclist from staying outside a traffic lane (such as debris, animals, people or other obstructions) or while making a left hand turn.

On top of that, NY state law does not allow cyclists to ride two abreast on the road. If they are in a shoulder, bike lane, bike path ... they can ride two abreast as long as they do not impede traffic (and I've been in very aggravating situations where some cyclists were riding 3 abreast, with the 3rd guy in the lane of a 4 lane road with a 55 mph speed limit. I really wanted to educate him on his ignorance/arrogance).

That's NY's laws in a nutshell.

gone
11-13-2007, 06:10 PM

In Texas: If there are 2 lanes going the same direction the cyclists gets the right one though most cars don't seem to know that. For those of you who don't know, roads in Texas don't leave any room between the curb and the far right lane. If there is 1 lane, then it's single file riding as far to the right as possible.
It's been a while since I looked at the actual wording in the vehicle code, but my recollection is it says something to the effect of "as far to the right as safely possible". There is provision for road hazards, debris, holes, etc.

BumbleBeeDave
11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
. . . that has a guide to cycling road statutes across the nation here:

http://www.bikeleague.org/action/bikelaws/state_laws.php

I might join this group just because of this. A great resource/reference.

BBD

Orin
11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
In WA, if you are riding "at a rate of speed less than the normal flow of traffic at the particular time and place", it's as far to the right "as is safe". No compulsion to use a bike lane or shoulder and there are exceptions for turning, passing and one-way streets.

There is also: "Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles".

Orin.

PS: It's easy to follow the WA bicycle laws online, starting here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.750

Note however, local law may differ, though it may not conflict with the state law, whatever that means.

bzbvh5
11-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Recently, Arkansas passed an additional law stating that motorists must allow at least three feet clearance between themselves and a cyclist when overtaking. That said, most Arkansas drivers don't even _KNOW_ the law. Consequently we, as cyclists, don't 'really' expect them to treat us with respect.

Mike in AR

The Texas Bicycling Commisson has tried to get a similar law passed only to have the idea rejected by State Government. I'm sure most Texans wouldn't KNOW that law either if it was enacted.

ClutchCargo
11-14-2007, 11:48 AM
In NY, a cyclist is to stay as far right as possible so not to impede traffic. If there is a shoulder, the cyclist is supposed to stay in the shoulder as far right as possible. If there is no shoulder, stay as far right as possible. It doesn't matter how many lanes there are, the cyclist must stay as far right as possible and in the shoulder if there is one. If there is a usuable bicycle lane, the cyclist must ride in that lane.

Exceptions include conditions that prevent the cyclist from staying outside a traffic lane (such as debris, animals, people or other obstructions) or while making a left hand turn.

On top of that, NY state law does not allow cyclists to ride two abreast on the road. If they are in a shoulder, bike lane, bike path ... they can ride two abreast as long as they do not impede traffic (and I've been in very aggravating situations where some cyclists were riding 3 abreast, with the 3rd guy in the lane of a 4 lane road with a 55 mph speed limit. I really wanted to educate him on his ignorance/arrogance).

That's NY's laws in a nutshell.

I think it's actually a bit better (for cyclists, that is) than you painted it, Van-man.
The general premise is that cyclists (and in-line skaters, for that matter)
have the same rights to the roads as do motorized vehicles.

Cyclists are supposed to "ride on the right," but are required to ride in a bike
lane or shoulder only if it is "usable." Second, riding two abreast is
allowed on the road, when the flow of traffic allows (bikers must ride single
file where necessary to allow other vehicles to pass); riding three abreast is
allowed in bike lanes.

Here's an excerpt from the DMV FAQ section:
Can bicyclists and in-line skaters travel side-by-side on the road?

Bicyclists or in-line skaters can travel side-by-side on the road, but must
ride in single-file when other vehicles need to pass. If there is enough space,
more than two bicyclists can travel side-by-side on a shoulder, lane or
bicycle path that is for bicyclists and skaters. When bicyclists or in-line
skaters overtake the other bikers and in-line skaters, they must ride in single-
file.

And the NYS Driver's Manual actually has some really cyclist-friendly advice for drivers
(of course, whether most of the drivers on the road have ever read or remember it is another thing!):
Bicyclists, in-line skaters, and operators of non-motorized scooters have the right to share the road and travel in the same direction as motor vehicles. Like pedestrians, these roadway users are often difficult to notice in traffic, and have little protection from a traffic crash. When driving a motor vehicle, be sure to check your vehicle's "blind spots" before you parallel park, or open a driver's side door, or leave a curb. Don't rely only on your rearview mirrors - turn your head to look for bicyclists and in-line skaters that may be alongside or approaching.

When driving, approach bicyclists, in-line skaters, and non-motorized scooters with extreme caution. Give them room and slow down as you pass them. Air pressure from a quickly passing vehicle can throw them off balance.

Be aware that the bicyclist, in-line skater or non-motorized scooter near or in front of you may react to road hazards just as a motorcyclist would and suddenly change speed, direction, or lane position.

The rules of the road and right-of-way apply to, and protect, bicyclists, in-line skaters, and non-motorized scooters. You must yield the right-of-way to them just as you would to another vehicle. Bicyclists and in-line skaters must obey the rules of the road, just as vehicle drivers do.

Bud
11-14-2007, 01:16 PM
People are pretty good around here (Denver-Boulder) but there is certainly a lot of variance in levels of awareness/caring, imho.

According to statute 42-4-141: (Full text and details here (http://bicyclecolo.org/page.cfm?PageID=45))

(1) Every person riding a bicycle shall have all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this article, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application...

(5) Any person riding a bicycle shall ride in the right-hand lane. When being overtaken by another vehicle, such person shall ride as close to the right-hand side as practicable. Where a paved shoulder suitable for bicycle riding is present, persons operating bicycles shall ride on the paved shoulder. These provisions shall apply, except under any of the following situations:
(a) When overtaking and passing another bicycle or vehicle proceeding in the same direction;
(b) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;
(c) When reasonably necessary to avoid hazardous conditions, including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, or surface hazards.

(6)(a) Persons operating bicycles on roadways shall ride single file; except that riding no more than two abreast is permitted in the following circumstances:
(i)When riding two abreast will not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic; or
(ii)When riding on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
(b) Persons riding two abreast shall ride within a single lane.

Avispa
11-14-2007, 02:30 PM
As Ginger might say: Bike Lane? What Bike Lane? There's a Bike Lane?

If I am not mistaken, here in Florida it's the same... Furthermore, a new law was introduced that mandates that drivers stay at least 3 feet away, when passing a cyclist, (Section 316.083, F.S.) (http://www.dot.state.fl.us/safety/ped_bike/laws/ped_bike_bikeLaws3.htm)

Now on bike lanes, the stuff on this web (http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/physically-separated-bike-lanes/) site is nice to know, I wish most roads could accommodate for this type of bike lane!

..A..

rustychisel
11-14-2007, 08:52 PM
"Personally, I'd like to see someone make up white or light colored jerseys with dye sublimation showing the handle of a .357 magnum sticking out of the left-back pocket and the following name on the center back: (insert name of local county here ) Sheriff's Dept. Cycling Team."

Mike, that is just brilliant left-of-centre thinking. If I were in your situation [and country] I'd buy one in a split second. :beer:

rwsaunders
11-14-2007, 08:56 PM
"Personally, I'd like to see someone make up white or light colored jerseys with dye sublimation showing the handle of a .357 magnum sticking out of the left-back pocket and the following name on the center back: (insert name of local county here ) Sheriff's Dept. Cycling Team."

Mike, that is just brilliant left-of-centre thinking. If I were in your situation [and country] I'd buy one in a split second. :beer:

This is pretty close.

regularguy412
11-14-2007, 08:59 PM

Yeah. I was thinkin' outta the box,,WAIT,, that's Ginger's line.

:D
Mike in AR

Avispa
11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
This is pretty close.

Hey,

That's some cool jersey! Where could I get one?

..A..