PDA

View Full Version : Phil Wood and Chris King

I Want Sachs?
11-13-2007, 09:57 AM
Why do Phil Wood and Chris King not make hubsets compatible with Campy?

sspielman
11-13-2007, 10:02 AM
For Phil wood, anyway....The Campy spline pattern for the cassette is of a smaller diameter...and it makes it difficult to fit the standard axle/bearing assembly in the remaining space. In other words, to accomodate the Campy standard, they would have to re-design their entire hub...
As for Chris King, I think it is simply a matter of them not being aware that bike parts are produced in Italy....

J.Greene
11-13-2007, 10:02 AM

I can't comment on Phil....but CK would have to do a complete redesign of the complete hub to get a campy compatible drive shell to fit. I suspect the hub was designed during the Campagnolo trough years. Also, the Shimano dominated MTB market was a huge factor.

JG

rwsaunders
11-13-2007, 10:04 AM
From the CK website. Who knows?

Are Chris King hubs Campagnolo 8, 9, or 10 speed compatible?
Answer: Our hubs are not Campagnolo compatible - they are designed with Shimano compatible driveshells. Though we don't endorse it, we've had good luck with the following:

For 8spd: Some companies make spacers that allow Shimano cogs to be used set to Campagnolo spacing. With this set up you should also use a Shimano chain.

For 9spd: Chris set his 9spd Campagnolo record bike up using 9spd Shimano Dura-Ace cogs and chain and it's been working flawlessly. There are also campy spaced spacers available to retrofit Shimano 9spd cogs.

For 10spd: Wheels manufacturing has released a campy compatible 10spd cogset made from a Shimano Ultegra 10spd stack. We are concerned that the cogs ride too close to the drive side spokes. If you try this or use this, please let us know of your experiences. We will post results here as soon as we have them. We are not sure that it will work with our hubs.

If you want to try one of these methods as a possible solution, please test run it first (e.g., try a friends' Shimano wheel) and make sure it works to your standards! We'd rather have all of you Campagnolo users happy and riding someone else's hub than disappointed that you are on ours.

ergott
11-13-2007, 10:09 AM
The internals of the freehub bodies are too large for the deeper splines of Campy. They would have to use smaller bearings and redesign their engagement mechanisms. All being equal, bigger bearings are better for durability. Those that make hubs for both Shimano and Campy have to design their hubs to work with Campy first as it's easier to make adjustments to work with Shimano.

SoCalSteve
11-13-2007, 10:09 AM
From the CK website. Who knows?

Are Chris King hubs Campagnolo 8, 9, or 10 speed compatible?
Answer: Our hubs are not Campagnolo compatible - they are designed with Shimano compatible driveshells. Though we don't endorse it, we've had good luck with the following:

For 8spd: Some companies make spacers that allow Shimano cogs to be used set to Campagnolo spacing. With this set up you should also use a Shimano chain.

For 9spd: Chris set his 9spd Campagnolo record bike up using 9spd Shimano Dura-Ace cogs and chain and it's been working flawlessly. There are also campy spaced spacers available to retrofit Shimano 9spd cogs.

For 10spd: Wheels manufacturing has released a campy compatible 10spd cogset made from a Shimano Ultegra 10spd stack. We are concerned that the cogs ride too close to the drive side spokes. If you try this or use this, please let us know of your experiences. We will post results here as soon as we have them. We are not sure that it will work with our hubs.

If you want to try one of these methods as a possible solution, please test run it first (e.g., try a friends' Shimano wheel) and make sure it works to your standards! We'd rather have all of you Campagnolo users happy and riding someone else's hub than disappointed that you are on ours.

Class act!

sg8357
11-13-2007, 10:17 AM

Phil makes freewheel hubs in all widths, perfect for your Campy NR bike.

DT Suisse and White both make Campy freehub bodies and if you ask they'll
even help you make up 135mm Campy hubs.

chrisroph
11-13-2007, 11:49 AM
I have heard rumors that ck is working on a c 10 compatible hub.

I Want Sachs?
11-13-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks for all the information. Lots of knowledge on this forum.

Does this imply that Shimano has a "better and beefier" spline system, so that even though there are hub business money to be made, Phil Wood and Chris King are not jumping in despite the knowledge and expertise they have on producing these parts? Sort of like the stance Chris King takes with the integrated headsets.

11-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks for all the information. Lots of knowledge on this forum.

Does this imply that Shimano has a "better and beefier" spline system, so that even though there are hub business money to be made, Phil Wood and Chris King are not jumping in despite the knowledge and expertise they have on producing these parts? Sort of like the stance Chris King takes with the integrated headsets.

Not necessarily. CK started with MTB hubs which were already a Shimano standard. PW started with freewheel hubs and started producing cassette hubs when Shimano was in the rapid ascendancy. Both have large axles that make it harder to fit the Campy freehub hardware in place and those axles are part of their success. CK has suggested for years that sooner or later they would come out with a Campy freehub, but they move extremely slowly with new products and I don't know that there's that much of a market for aftermarket Campy hubs -- a very large part of that market is devoted to prebuilt wheels, Campy and DT both have good solutions for hubs, and with Shimano they get to sell to the MTB and road markets with minor tweaking of the product.

I ride both CK and PW hubs and love them. The CK hubs are noisier but they've gotten a lot quieter in the past few years and the engagement is like no other hub. Both are bulletproof solutions that I would be comfortable riding anywhere.

J.Greene
11-13-2007, 02:13 PM

This is speculation, but during most of Chris King's history they have had a hard time meeting the demand they have had for various reasons. CK has been public about it. I don't think they could have produced a separate campy hub if they wanted to without something else not seeing production. Now they are in Portland it seems to me they are in a better position to deliver.

JG

Fixed
11-13-2007, 02:51 PM
they are in a better position to deliver.
SWOOP
:) cheers

gt6267a
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM

has anyone tried this option?

PoppaWheelie
11-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Ditto the request for any info from people who have used the Wheels Mnfg. conversion cassette...

...I was just wondering about these myself.

gt6267a
11-14-2007, 03:50 PM
basically, what about running a king setup with shimano cassette on my campy 10 bike. i respect the jtek bit is fun, but i would like the ability to still use my campy wheels ... is this just a run the shimano cassette and expect a gear or two to skip situation or ... is there something better?

ericspin
11-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Gotta ride Campy? Try White Bros.......equal to Phil in my book. I have both.

J.Greene
11-14-2007, 07:14 PM
Gotta ride Campy? Try White Bros.......equal to Phil in my book. I have both.

Does Phil now make forks, or does white bros now make hubs? Or are you talking about white ind?

JG

ericspin
11-15-2007, 05:16 AM
Does Phil now make forks, or does white bros now make hubs? Or are you talking about white ind?

JG
Yeah, my bad. Too late and I posted this after being on the road for over 7 hours yesterday. Sorry, meant White Ind.