PDA

View Full Version : HC cross advice requested

bruce-e-boy
07-23-2004, 04:05 AM
I have purchased a second hand HC cross with fork and am looking forward to getting it it built up. It's in very good condition. But I am no expert in componentry and would much appreciate some advice.

Projected use is threefold. First, as a cool year round commuter over mixed London terrain 45 mins each way. Second, some weekend warrior fairly light mixed trail use. Third, and with some skinny road tyres fitted, as a day road ride over very hilly terrain. In other words, and subject only to a tyre change, pretty well everything if possible. Asking a lot I know. Maybe too much!

I have no real idea how to go re brake system, the whole of the drive train, gearing, and wheelset.

I don't have an over-tight budget, but would always buy chorus before record, if you see what I mean. I like nice kit, even though I don't "need" it, but I also like value for money.

Am based in London, where everything costs a fortune. I could probably bring it over to the US for a long weekend, have it built up there, and the savings would pay for the trip.

Any advice much appreciated.

Bruce

Bruce K
07-23-2004, 04:53 AM
A very cool website for cross stuff is www.cyclocrossworld.com

They are a site devoted 100% to cyclocross.

The owner also owns a local shop north of Boston in Hamilton, MA called Bay Road Bikes.

He has been known to ship to Europe. They also have a telephone number listed on the site, but the person you really want to talk to is not always there. The guy who can help you the most is named Stu Thorne. The telephone number at Bay Road Bikes is (US code) + 978-468-1301. Their hours are 10:00AM - 6:00PM daily, until 8:00PM Thursdays and noon - 4:00PM on SUnday.

Good luck,

BK

Andreu
07-23-2004, 05:49 AM
Hi,
I raced cyclocross for the first couple of years of my introduction into cycling (quite a few years ago now). Changed the wheels/tyres and I used the bike in the winter as a hack bike (used it in Scotland for mountain biking (very scarey on downhills), chain gangs, commuter biking and as I said cyclocross races).
I used ultegra gearing (bar end shifters) and it worked perfectly. Frame was a Syrius (I think) - couldnt find the link on Google - with braze ons for cantilever brakes and quite a lot of clearance between frame and tyre.
I would use two sets of wheels one for hills and cyclocross with as high a cog on the backwheel as you can get away with (13-26?) without having to change the derailleur.
and another set of wheels for the road (say a 12-23).
I would be tempted to go lower than 38 on the front rings because of the limitations of the cassette and for the big ring get a 50 or 52 (I am not sure whether these combinations exist or even work) .
Wheels: Mavic Open pros. (and Mavic open pros ceramics for the wet and hilly stuff) I would get someone to build them for you.
Cyclocross shops - buy Cycling Weekly to get some phone numbers and phone around.
Check out:
http://www.bcf.uk.com
and on the same site:
http://www.bcf.uk.com/disciplines/cyclocross/cyclo-cross_intro.shtml
may have some useful advise too.
My old club in London was the Hounslow who organise a cyclocross race...not sure anyone actually rides cyclocross though.
Hope this rambling helps.
A :beer:

Andreu
07-23-2004, 05:54 AM
used the shimano double sided Mtb pedals too..Great for commuting and running with bike because you can walk in the shoes...no big cleats to contend with.
All in all if you can get the gearing right it is the most flexible bike you will ever own. Only downer is that you may struggle with getting a mudguard on the frame...but worth a try for those wet days on the road (I think the reason may be the limited amount of space because of the cantilever brakes - cannot fully remember the reason....) Curiously mudguards are a no-no in the mud (Off road) because you need a big gap there that doesn´t clog up with mud.
A

bruce-e-boy
07-23-2004, 03:47 PM
Bruce and Andreu

Most helpful thank you. Will check out the site Bruce. And Andreu - yes, I'll probably have to get those new "fenders" that attach to the seat post. Spoils the lines, but saves a wet bum and are easily detached when conditions allow. yes, I also think the SPds will work every day, although I will swop to the new style shimano SL road pedals for longer stuff. They appear to be perfect to me as road pedals. Good value. have you noticed the DA pedals are almost twice the price of the ultegra pedals for a tiny weight advantage?

Seems to me a cross bike, suitably kitted, is a far better compromise than a road bike, hybrid, or MTB, for urban warriors. Have also ordered a Dave Kirk Montana Road Bike for "best".

Next year I plan a charity France "End to End" (Calais to Cannes) during which I will swop between Seven Axiom, Serotta HC cross and Dave Kirk MRB. Life could be worse.
Kind regards