PDA

View Full Version : Fueling the boiler

Kevan
12-30-2003, 01:18 PM
It amazes me that some folk can start off on a long, sometimes agressive, ride with little more than a bowl of cereal or piece of toast to tie them over.

Me? I'll scramble up 2 eggs and if some potatoes can be hash-browned all the better. Lotsa oj.

Besides it being just me, IS IT just me? Anyone else getting up 1-2 hours early for a group ride in order to make up a feast and get their stuff in order?

Why can't I be one of those who rolls out the front door eating only a banana?

DonG
12-30-2003, 01:22 PM
I don't think you're the only one.

If the ride is going to be more than a couple of hours I'm like you; couple of eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, and some oatmeal for a little extra kick. And of course at least one cup of coffee to start the process.

JohnS
12-30-2003, 01:23 PM
I'd be burping stuff up all ride if I ate like you.
Are you Sandy's thorn or his 'rhoid? Just asking...

Climb01742
12-30-2003, 01:36 PM
i'm the opposite. if i know i'm gonna ride hard, i'll eat lots the night before. then caffiene myself into oblivion the morning of the ride but no food, or very little, like just toast. for me, food too close to riding doesn't sit well.

Ken Robb
12-30-2003, 01:46 PM
For even a brisk 20 mile ride I need food first. The very least that works for me is a PB and J on wheat bread and a big glass of milk and it should be gobbled at least an hour before the ride. There is a great ride in Coronado, CA. every Sat at 7 am and I rarely make it because it's a 20 minute drive from La Jolla so I have to rise by 5:30 to make it in riding-ready condition. I've tried skipping food before the ride so I can really load up on the post ride donuts but I bonked after about 12-14 miles. The donuts were still good but I was too late to get the best selection.

Kevan
12-30-2003, 01:56 PM
Such disparity in metabolisms suggests that perhaps it's impossible to create the perfect fitness plan that will work for all people.

Is it that fast or slow metabolisms is yet another way to gauge fitness? Is one better than another? Seems to me the guy who can function off a piece of toast is better off than the guy stopping by Denny's. Sure would make those hills easier to roll over.

Is it possible to recondition oneself to be a toast eater without bonking each time at the end of the driveway?

JohnS,

Sandy's paw is bad enough.

JohnS
12-30-2003, 02:02 PM
I find that I have a better ride after an 8 hour day at work. If O get up early on a weekend morning and go for a ride I feel sluggish, and my average speed proves it.
Sandy has a paw?

theoldman
12-30-2003, 02:13 PM
Our group starts riding at sun up during the spring and summer months. I will eat well the night before and have a cup of coffee in the morning, but no breakfast to speak of.

Some other members of the group will eat before they ride. Eveyone is different. But we all eat and drink during the ride.

bags27
12-30-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm like The Old Man (being one myself). Carbs the night before seem more important, and then a light breakfast. I then add fuel pretty quickly (Accelerade) as I bike.

Bruce K
12-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Kevan;

Definitely no OJ on ride mornings. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Bagels, bananas (preferably not dancing), definitely some coffee, eggs or breakfast sandwich seem to do well for me.

I think you are right though, everyone is different. High performance guys like flydhest probably burn more calories than I do over the same ride, or least they burn them more efficiently.

Hence their slimmer, trimmer, physiques.

I'm sure there are books or articles out there with suggested menus. I think the nutrition gal from Velonews just published one and come to think of it, I think I got one for X-mas. I'll look and let you know.

BK

bags27
12-30-2003, 02:50 PM
Hmmm, Bruce K brings up another question: caffeine before or during a ride? I've sworn it off generally, waiting to use it when I've cracked 20 miles from the finish of a long ride.

bulliedawg
12-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Nothing but coffee for me. I can't eat much in the morning. I have no appetite before 10 a.m.

But I eat during, and I eat ravenously when I finish.

sic'em

Bill Bove
12-30-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm a no breakfast guy too, maybe half a bagel because I'm bored waiting for the ride to get going and I'm a nibbler during the ride. If I ate some of the stuff they offer at the sags I'd never make in to the finish. But afterward, watch out. Krispy Kreams have been known to close their doors after a visit by me.

One thing I learned a while back doing some ultra marathon rides up to 400 miles was to eat protien early into a ride to begin the recovery before the ride ended.

Climb01742
12-30-2003, 03:24 PM
back when i was doing triathlons alot, i tried all sorts of pre-race eating methods. and i found that, for me, any real food in my stomach came back to haunt me. but i also found that the real key, for me, was pre-eating and pre-hydrating for a day or two. trying to rush food into the system never worked for me. but a gradual and sustained feeding/drinking worked great.

and about caffiene: the more the better. it really gets my engine running. without it, it's like i never get out of first gear. but i find tea gentler on my stomach than coffee.

Johny
12-30-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Climb01742
and about caffiene: the more the better. it really gets my engine running. without it, it's like i never get out of first gear. ...

Climb,

You are not doping, are you? :D

Climb01742
12-30-2003, 03:35 PM
johny, if i could attach an IV drip to my bike, i would. why do you think that darn banana can't stop dancing? caffiene!

pbbob
12-30-2003, 03:42 PM
put me in the got to eat category if I'm doing anything over 2 hours. and caffeine, forget it. I never get out of the jon let alone into first gear if I drink coffee.

Bruce K
12-30-2003, 04:18 PM
When I worked with a coach last season to improve my cycling (you shoulda seen me BEFORE I worked with him) he was leaning towards the no caffeine side of things.

He did say that if you must indulge, he preferred before a ride rather than after. He equated the boost to warming up your system.

BK

Climb01742
12-30-2003, 04:29 PM
i've read that caffiene aids in metabolizing fat. which may or may not be true. what i do know to be true is go to the starting line of any pro race. a sea of caffiene. and i've been told by someone who should know that during the part of the pre-season when pros are trying to lose winter weight, they will ingest nothing but coffee from morning until dinner. that's overdoing it, i think, and may even be borderline dangerous, but in moderation, caffiene seems like kick-starting the engine.

Kevin
12-30-2003, 07:09 PM
I eat well the night before with lots of carbs. A light breakfast with a bagel and banana. I start drinking energy drinks as soon as I am on the bike. If I tried eggs for breakfast the riders behind me would be very unhappy.

Kevin

Sandy
12-30-2003, 09:31 PM
And I wonder why I weigh so much. I usually eat breakfast a couple of hours before I ride. A typical breakfast is 2 large bowls of cereal (shredded wheat and nuggets) with banana and skim milk. I also usually have a bagel or nutrition bar. I also sometimes have no fat cottage cheese and another banana. During a ride I usually eat a nutrition bar and/or a bagel or 2.

I am announcing that a few days ago I was about 216 on my scale which is about 219.5 in the real world. I will be 210 by the end of January (on my scale), 205 or less by the end of February, 200 or less by the end of March, and 195 or less by the end of April. These are real conservative. I will probably be 200 (on my scale) or less by the end of February. My goal is less than 185 on my scale.

davep
12-30-2003, 10:29 PM
I'm in the middle. I usually eat a big, carb laden dinner the night before, and then a light breakfast before the ride: bowl of oatmeal and maybe a banana. No caffeine.

M_A_Martin
12-30-2003, 10:47 PM
Are you making me get up and ride without eating anything? Do you KNOW how much I whine if I have to ride before breakfast?! No I'm not hungry, but I'll eat something. I don't care if I have to wake up at 4:30am. I gotta eat SOMETHING before I get on that bike. Even if its just some form of gluten free powerbar (haven't found one yet). Don't have a problem with getting on the bike right away. Eat and ride. Fine with me. Just gotta eat.

Oh for the days of being able to eat oatmeal or a bagle and banana...Ceiliac sucks for a cyclist (no regular pasta either). And no American coffee or OJ before a ride, makes my tummy icky.

A rice cripsy treat, or PBJ, a banana, and some water and I'm G2G... The problem with sitting down at a greasy spoon for breakfast is the grease. A couple eggs and some hashbrown type fries and hot tea. OJ if its not nasty.

And I eat all the time when I'm riding. I think I figured out that I can do 60 miles on just bananas and water...but we'll get there quicker if I'm eating something else before or along the way, at least gatorade.

Byron
12-30-2003, 11:33 PM
Light food (2 eggs and small bowl of cereal) prior to ride over 1.5 to 2 hours or about 30-40 miles works best for me. With no extra intake, I usually feel that "bonking" feeling coming on. Got into sport drinks last summer while cycling in Reno area. One day about 50 miles into a 70 miler, I began to bonk. Stopped in at a small store in Virginia City and purchased a can of Monster Energy Drink. About 10-15 minutes later, I flew up over the hill and back into Reno. No more bonk. Must have been the sugar and caffeine. Found a more nutritionally balanced drink in SoBe No Fear. Contains amino acids, vitamins, and minerals, enough to get me another 20 to 30 miles or so. Best to carry gel packs, power bars, or some other form of nutrition and energy. Would like to see what the pros really eat sometime and when during an event.

bags27
12-30-2003, 11:46 PM
So there are a lot of caffeine users. The pros used to like to drink flat Coke. Lots of sugar and caffeine, and the syrup settles the stomach.

Too Tall
12-31-2003, 06:27 AM
I'm preaching somewhat. Climb and Oldman are onto it.

If you eat anything 3 hrs. prior to vigorous exercise Muscle glycogen stores are depleted more rapidly....and that is not going to benefit your performance. *Athletes body's adapt to training by learning to store fuel as muscle glycogen....NOT FAT!!!

Also, when you get on the bike ,within 3 hrs. of waking, you have more than sufficient available fuel 60-90 mins.

A popular strategy with the endurance / racing crowd is to forgoe eating 3 hrs. prior to riding and begin fueling in the first 15 to 30 mins. AFTER exercise commences.

For most of us 250-300 cals. / hr. is in the ball park during exercise.

It requires a small leap of faith to make this change in habit but hey!!! It is winter time and when better to try new strategies?

Tom
12-31-2003, 07:14 AM
At one point this guy held every running record from the mile to six day ultras. Right before hundred milers he'd eat massive breakfasts of eggs, bread with butter and honey, sausages, potatoes and tea. He said he'd just go slow for the first twenty miles to let it settle and then he'd kick out the jams. He was onto the free fatty acids thing without knowing it.

One thing great about cycling is that I can eat before I do it. It was always hard to figure out when I was going to eat long enough before a run so I didn't get distressed but not so long that I ran out of energy before I started. If my day's schedule got tipped I could be screwed. Biking, I just tank up and go. One day last summer I was hungry before I started so I took a small loaf of Italian bread, cut it in half and piled ham and cheese on it. I ate the whole thing and immediately went out and had a great 75 mile ride.

Gatorade is quite possibly the worst tasting thing on the planet when you heat it up to about 90 degrees.

Fruit juice is good and when I want to spend $$$ I get a product Ultra Fuel. The key is to be well hydrated because it's pretty dense so it's more liquid food than it is a drink. It's very easy on the stomach and I've sailed through marathons on it. The only drawback is the jet-power effect, so I tend more to sit on the back out of consideration for my riding companions.

Sandy
12-31-2003, 07:32 AM
Believe in Too Tall. I met him recently. He is all muscle and bone, with no fat, and with a few ligaments and tendons to keep everything in place when he and his wife fly by you on their tandem.

Too Tall, how many times were you lobotimized? Did it help? My surgeon did it to me 10 times, and he gave up. He gave himself one, which made him feel better. I was the same.

With scars to prove it, STill Serotta Sandy

Climb01742
12-31-2003, 07:52 AM
following on what too tall said, i believe you can "train" your body to burn stored fuels. i believe i read that. it's also been my experience. my stomach simply can't tolerate anything during vigorous exercise. during 3-5 hour triathlons, if i tried to put anything substantial into my stomach, it would reappear, violently, soon. so i got pretty good at carbo loading in the day or two leading up to an event. and once out on the road, just small doses of simple food, like a banana. i never bonked in races up to three hours, but yes, did, a few times when races got to 4-5 hour length. i bet now, with more kinds of energy foods, i could find something by body could tolerate. but i did pretty good in training my body to burn internal fuel for up to 2-3 hours.

victoryfactory
12-31-2003, 08:04 AM
I think M_A_Martin has the right idea, eat light, then continue to snack during a long ride. Then you wont run out of gas before your legs or your butt gives out
VF

bags27
12-31-2003, 08:22 AM
I agree with Victoryfactory, MA Martin, etc. But the differences in people are amazing. Doing a brevet last summer with someone I just met, I sipped Accelerade constantly. He had one bottle of water between check-ins (35-50 miles apart!) and then chowed down everything in sight at these stops. I couldn't possible fill my stomach like that and ride well; he had no problem. And he was the better rider.

Too Tall
12-31-2003, 09:02 AM
Bags, during fast Brevets before I switched to 100% liquid fuel we would grab a turkey sandwhich eating and riding at a slower pace for about 30 mins. keeping HRs down. I def. believe you can do just great this way if you are used to it.

Climb....just for giggles, try carrying a flask of Hammergel during your runs and pop 1-2 endurolytes / hr. If you want to try let me know and I'll hook you up. No simple sugars + a high quality malto dextran goes a long way to elimination of distress.

Climb01742
12-31-2003, 09:08 AM
too tall, great, would love to try. i may be a semi-old dog, but a new trick would be nice. thanks.

Too Tall
12-31-2003, 09:41 AM
Climbingone, check your mail

shinomaster
12-31-2003, 07:35 PM
I used to wake up at 8:00 and go for 60 mile torture rides on a cliff bar and a bottle of the (old powerade) Along the way I wold eat a gell maybe and more powerade...I was too busy crying to eat anything..:( :(

AgilisMerlin
04-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Coffee for breakfast. No food before ride.

Can usually go two hours before, da' bonk on our sat. morning worlds. Thank god they only last two hours. food early in the morning makes me sick, bloated and slow.

I burn clean on a 1/8th of a tank.

enjoyed reading this, 3 years later.

zank
04-10-2007, 10:54 PM
That was a little wierd. I was trying to think back to when Ginger became Mary Ann again. Then I looked at the date. But did she really ever become Ginger is the real question...

AgilisMerlin
04-10-2007, 11:05 PM
that tidbit of trivia dates me, but i will think about it in tha' morning while soaking my empty gut with a gallon of black coffee

- before my ride in the rain, ofcoarse.

:D

Ken Robb
04-11-2007, 01:16 AM
Yo Kevan,, we can start the ride without tanking up because we know that 10 miles into it we'll have ahi tacos and IPA. :beer:

Kevan
04-11-2007, 06:30 AM
A thread started by me?! I didn't start this thread. Oops...guess I did. All rules are off when it comes to the tacos and ipa. I don't care if tricycles are passing me, it's worth the munch. TT, stay clear of this stand or else the crossing will take you better than a month.

Funny how my routine has changed considerably since starting this thread; I probably owe it to my morning commuting by bike. I have to be out the door and on the road by 6am, sleep is more important to me than fixing vittles, so out I go sans anything in the gut.

Nope, now a days I might have a bowl of cereal and a tall juice, but that's it.

Wonder what other threads are buried down in the crypt?

93legendti
04-11-2007, 07:22 AM
I don't think you're the only one.

If the ride is going to be more than a couple of hours I'm like you; couple of eggs, bacon or sausage, toast, and some oatmeal for a little extra kick. And of course at least one cup of coffee to start the process.

Same for me. No problems here eating a complete breakfast before a ride. Anyone ever see the movie "Hell Of The North"? Steak and potatoes for breakfast before a hard race? Now that I could not do.

93legendti
04-11-2007, 07:22 AM
[QUOTE=DonG]I don't think you're the only one.

oops, sorry, double post...