PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat touchup on Carbon Fork?

sokyroadie
11-11-2007, 07:33 AM
I thought I had seen that clear nail polish was ok, but did a search and could not find anything. Serotta sort of eludes to it on there care and maintenance guide but does not say definitely.

This is on the F3 fork I just purchased, the areas are small and just thru the clear.

Thanks,

Jeff

justinf
11-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Yep, clear nail polish is the way to go. I believe Revlon is my brand of choice.

sokyroadie
11-11-2007, 07:39 AM
Thanks!

Jeff

toaster
11-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Branford Bike has a product called "Le Tour Clear Coat" that is used for carbon fiber touch-up.

For detail work you can go to your local beauty supply store and buy some fingernail emery boards and buffers that have various grit sizes that will allow you to sand and polish the area you wish to touch-up.

You can use clear fingernail polish and even Super Glue for touch-up but the Le Tour Clear Coat is much milder.

mwos
11-11-2007, 10:05 AM
I went to Pep Boys and bought a tube of auto clear coat. It has a tip like a pen so it was easy to touch up small scratches.

Kathi

DarrenCT
11-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Yep, clear nail polish is the way to go. I believe Revlon is my brand of choice.

revlon is too expensive. i got with the CVS brand.

+1 on the clear nail polish tho...

Viper
11-11-2007, 10:22 AM
revlon is too expensive. i got with the CVS brand.

+1 on the clear nail polish tho...

My ex-girlfriend left behind some MAC clear, talk about overpriced makeup.
Beautiful women don't need expensive makeup and neither should bikes.

justinf
11-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Yeah I don't think mine was purchased either, rather pilfered.

dirtclub
11-11-2007, 12:50 PM
try super glue. works great for fixing a ding in clear coat. also keeps it from peeling away from the area that was nicked. DO NOT TOUCH THE GLUE UNTIL IT IS DRY! it will be smeared and not look right if you do. give it a solid half hour to be on the safe side.