PDA

View Full Version : Bozeman, MT

csm
11-10-2007, 01:31 PM
what is it about Bozeman? Kirk Frameworks and Bozeman Watch Company. finally got over wanting a rolex or omega and keeping Suunto in business; then I read about Bozeman watches....
is it something in the water out there?

TMB
11-10-2007, 01:40 PM
what is it about Bozeman? Kirk Frameworks and Bozeman Watch Company. finally got over wanting a rolex or omega and keeping Suunto in business; then I read about Bozeman watches....
is it something in the water out there?

Did you forget about Strong Frames??

David Kirk
11-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I met the watch guy a few years ago and he gave me a tour of his shop. Very cool stuff. Some of the smallest tools I've ever seen. Very cool and talented guy.

We have, for such a small city of 30,000 people, an interesting group of businesses.

Strong Frames (the big man)
Zoot Enterprises (credit card validation equipment - world leader I'm told)
Sims (fly fishing gear)
Mystery Ranch (top flight backpacks)
Bozeman Watch Company
Jungst Machine (ex-framebuilder who now makes trials motorcycle stuff)
Karhu (x-c ski product testing, development and warehouse)
Black Diamond (production center)
Dynojet (they make car dynos - world headquarters and dyno production)

I'm absolutely sure that I've forgotten some cool companies or people but you get the idea. Most of us are here for the snow. Snow is good.

Dave

Fixed
11-10-2007, 02:06 PM
good place for a mschinest i'd bet
cheers

eddief
11-10-2007, 02:27 PM
rightnow software

rightnow.com

dirtdigger88
11-10-2007, 02:58 PM
long dark winters lead to lot of time to think up great ideas- maybe??

or maybe magic mushrooms :D

Jason

jmewkill
11-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I met the watch guy a few years ago and he gave me a tour of his shop. Very cool stuff. Some of the smallest tools I've ever seen. Very cool and talented guy.

We have, for such a small city of 30,000 people, an interesting group of businesses.

Strong Frames (the big man)
Zoot Enterprises (credit card validation equipment - world leader I'm told)
Sims (fly fishing gear)
Bozeman Watch Company
Jungst Machine (ex-framebuilder who now makes trials motorcycle stuff)
Karhu (x-c ski product testing, development and warehouse)
Black Diamond (production center)
Dynojet (they make car dynos - world headquarters and dyno production)

I'm absolutely sure that I've forgotten some cool companies or people but you get the idea. Most of us are here for the snow. Snow is good.

Dave

Don't forget that uber power couple:
Dave and Karin Kirk

Noonan
11-10-2007, 05:01 PM
Gibson Guitar Co. Ever heard of it???? Bozeman, MT.

D'Oh....

David Kirk
11-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Gibson Guitar Co. Ever heard of it???? Bozeman, MT.

D'Oh....

I knew I forgot a big one...............that place is a sweat shop you.....I toured it a few years ago and it's like lil' Calcutta.

The stuff looked good though.

dave

TMB
11-10-2007, 08:09 PM
If I were ever to move from here the two places high on my list are Canmore, Alberta and Bozeman, Montana.

The advantage to here though is that I am on the other sid of the mountains from Bozeman and Canmore.

I has conversation with Carl Strong the other day, he was saying it was nice day and he had to get out on the bike, as it will be one of his last chances before April.

This side of the mountains, I ride all year.

Hard to give that up.

Maybe Spokane or Wenatchee ...........

Or stay where I am ( my savings ar worth a lot more now!).

crossjunkee
11-10-2007, 08:28 PM

Since Dave mentioned Mystery Ranch (aka, Dana Designs), I feel I should mention these backpack guys too.

http://www.wookey.net/

Top shelf stuff!

grateful
11-11-2007, 09:39 AM
http://www.plonkwine.com/

Karin Kirk
11-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Depends on one's definition of cool. Plonk has gotten some flak for being too uppity for this former-cowboy town.

IMO, my favorite thing in Bozeman is Bridger Bowl. http://www.bridgerbowl.com/
It's a perfect blend of ***-whupping skiing, extraordinary friendliness and no glitz whatsoever. All the lifts are the slow, old-fashioned kind. The only time there are lift lines is on a random Wednesday morning when half the town calls in sick because it snowed 18 inches overnight. The funny thing is, you will most likely see your boss there too, because he's playing hooky just like everybody else.

Kirk007
11-11-2007, 10:38 AM
The only place in Montana where the help look and act as if they just stepped off the runway from a modeling show in NY or LA. Their air of self importance and glam is so thick its funny.

I love Bozeman. But Plonk is in Pozeman.

Greg

grateful
11-11-2007, 11:07 AM
It's too bad that you feel this way. Most of the "runway" types you refer to are my closest friends.

These people work hard and are real. I suppose that you would know that if you met them first and judged them second.

We ski in the winter, ride horses in the spring, and float the Madison in the summer. I have yet to see any of them in Armani swimsuits or Saville Row boots.

Kirk007
11-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Maybe its changed in the past year. I had three business "meetings" set there in summer of 06 by locals because it was the "hip" place. The help was less than cordial; arrogant comes to mind. I'm a former ski bum, river guide and mountain town resident. I worked for 4 years in restraurants and bars. I recognize the 'tude.

Sorry if I unintentionally dissed you and your friends. Again, maybe its changed or the folks I encountered were having bad days. But, I would and have thought twice of returning. In fact I've chosen to do my business over lunch/coffee et. in some of the other Bozeman establishments that to me, are more down to earth.

Glad you and your friends are enjoying Bozeman and its fantasti natural amenities.

Greg

pdxmech13
11-11-2007, 11:48 AM
......bill moved there a about a year and a half ago. He's had a sister and deep roots in montana for a long time now. He said that when he'd retire from the biz that's where he'd end up. Now he's racin the scene and coaching a womens team. And to put icin on the cake, helps out now and then assembly bikes for Carl. Did I mention this freak took up hockey too !

Karin Kirk
11-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Yes, I know Bill. Nice guy! He has a beautiful Holland - makes a good first impression for someone new to the scene, ya know?

Birddog
11-11-2007, 01:46 PM
BOZEANGELES: Thats what many of my long time Montana resident friends and relatives call it. It might have something to do with all the McLodges sprouting up in the environs. Change is inevitable, like it or not.

Birddog

manet
11-11-2007, 03:43 PM
BOZEANGELES: Thats what many of my long time Montana resident friends and relatives call it. It might have something to do with all the McLodges sprouting up in the environs. Change is inevitable, like it or not.

Birddog

gallatin valley is a effin strip-mall

JohnS
11-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Since Dave mentioned Mystery Ranch (aka, Dana Designs), I feel I should mention these backpack guys too.

http://www.wookey.net/

Top shelf stuff!Never heard of it, but it looks good. One of their retailers is only 25 miles away. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the headsup!

BumpyintheBurgh
11-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Spanish Peaks Brewing Company...Spent an afternoon at their brew pub a few years ago during a ski trip to Big Sky & Bridger Bowl...the Black Dog Ale was delicious.
And how about the Museum of the Rockies at Montana State...it has a great collection of dinosaurs who roamed that region eons ago.
Great beer & dinosaurs, what a day.

David Kirk
11-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Bumpy reminds me that Bozeman is the home the the American Computer Museum. No really it is. Go figure.

If this thread prompts any visits to Bozeman be sure to contact us and we'll go for a ride or make some turns.

Dave

rdparadise
11-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Went to Bozeman back in 2003 for a cycling trip with Cycle America. We did the Yellowstone, Teton, Idaho loop.

I stayed in some ratty hotel down on Main Street for the night. The airport was cool with natural wood (log cabin style) construction. I liked the 2 gate runway too.

I had a chance to ride my bike around the one day I was there and really enjoyed it. I rode up one mountain side before returning. It was picturesque and I enjoyed the ride. On the way back, I rode through the campus.

Definitely, a beautiful and rugged place to live. I could do a cabin there for some skiing and riding a couple of times a year, but I don't know about living there year around. May be too rural for my liking.

Bob

NicaDog
11-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Wonderful frames, great watches, what's next a sponsored cross team that puts the hurt on?

MontanaJustin
11-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Another great(!) company that few people know about...

http://www.headphone.com/

Absolutely top-notch service, and are largely responsible for taking headphones into the world of audiophile quality.
If any of you out there are serious about listening to music, these guys are some of the best, for any price range.

Oakely-Erik
11-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Depends on one's definition of cool. Plonk has gotten some flak for being too uppity for this former-cowboy town.

IMO, my favorite thing in Bozeman is Bridger Bowl. http://www.bridgerbowl.com/
It's a perfect blend of ***-whupping skiing, extraordinary friendliness and no glitz whatsoever. All the lifts are the slow, old-fashioned kind. The only time there are lift lines is on a random Wednesday morning when half the town calls in sick because it snowed 18 inches overnight. The funny thing is, you will most likely see your boss there too, because he's playing hooky just like everybody else.

I have had the pleasure of riding at Bridger 3 times over the last 5 years. Bar none the best snow I have ever seen. The place is perfect, nothing fancy, just sweet runs and if you are willing to hike it up to the ridge, some of the best back country you can find. 4 years ago I had my first experiance with the Bridger Cold Smoke powder, 28 inches over night. I was the best day I have ever had on a mountain. Its also a plus that the lift tickets are only 40 bucks a day, which is fantastic for a poor college student.
Cheers! :beer:

Karin Kirk
11-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Erik,

Cool! Those sound like classic Bridger experiences. Lucky you to have gotten a deep day during your visit.

We got some snow overnight, so now I'm planning an afternoon x-c ski outing. Sure beats the trail running I had planned for today! :)