PDA

View Full Version : Can you top this one?

Jeff Weir
07-22-2004, 02:27 PM
About 25 years ago, (+/-) I got my first "racing" bike, a Austro-Daimler Superleicht: Nuovo Record, sewups, I was in heaven. I rode it like mad to become the worlds slowest Cat 4 racer. A couple of years later I sold it to buy a Serotta Club Special, and was STILL the slowest Cat 4!

Fast forward to last summer...

I'm talikng to my riding buddy from 25 years ago (still best friends) and mention that I wish I had never sold the A/D, due to sentimental reasons. We both agree that certain "firsts" should never be forgotten. A month later, he calls me with a phone number of the guy who now owns my old Austro Daimler. I call him and we talk about the bike's history and I tell him that if he ever wants to get rid of the bike to please give me first refusal.

Three months later, UPS shows up with a bike box and inside is the A/D in unbelievably great condition. Attached to the top tube is a note:
"Hope you still want the bike. Send me whatever you think it is worth."
Needless to say, I was floored! Every once in a while, I take it out for a spin, (somethings are better left as a memory) and then it goes right back on display at my work.

Looking at the bike always takes me on a trip down memory lane.

Tom
07-22-2004, 02:29 PM
Not a serious question: I don't want to know. I can't help wondering, though, if you sent him another 'first'. You know, like your first girlfriend or something to preserve the symmetry.

PaulE
07-22-2004, 02:48 PM
if the guy who stole my Peugeot UO-8 off my back porch in 1972, the only night I ever left it outside returned it, that could top your story. Talk about things better left as a memory. I sometimes look at them on e-bay and briefly consider buying one, but then I snap out of it.

bostondrunk
07-22-2004, 02:53 PM
Well, what everyone really wants to know, is how much did ya send the guy?!! :beer:

Jeff Weir
07-22-2004, 03:06 PM
What else but a box of Krispy Kremes and a case of Bud.
:beer:
:beer:

bostondrunk
07-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Theres nothing wrong with that!!!!!!! :beer:

Jeff Weir
07-23-2004, 11:51 AM
On my very first ride with the A/D back in my hands, I proceed to loose control, crash, and break 3 ribs!!!!!

Kevan
07-23-2004, 01:05 PM
it was pissed off at you for selling it. Now you're even. :D