PDA

View Full Version : Name that airport dining area

rwsaunders
11-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I'll buy the next beer or vino if you can name this airport.

maunahaole
11-09-2007, 07:52 PM
Sfo

David Kirk
11-09-2007, 07:57 PM
detroit

dave

TMB
11-09-2007, 07:58 PM
They all look the same.

Sadly, the food all tastes the same as well.

I just try to get out.

dave thompson
11-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Spokane

SWorks4me
11-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Sbarro

nicrump
11-09-2007, 08:06 PM
denver, Villa Pizza Italian

manet
11-09-2007, 08:15 PM
teterboro

chuckroast
11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
For goodness sakes, pick up the pizza to eat it. :)

DarrenCT
11-09-2007, 08:16 PM
the better question is, how much $ did that lunch and drink cost?

my guess is $24 w/ tip

NicaDog
11-09-2007, 08:23 PM
What's it called - can't remember the name but actually a nice place for
a glass of wine and a light snack - given it's an airport.

Will have lunch there tomorrow on my way to Zurich!

saab2000
11-09-2007, 08:46 PM
What's it called - can't remember the name but actually a nice place for
a glass of wine and a light snack - given it's an airport.

Will have lunch there tomorrow on my way to Zurich!

Going to ZRH? Can I come along? I'll show you around. Show you the best mountains. Jealous.

BTW, most airports are horrible for food. There is one good thing in Philadelphia (and only one as far as I have seen) and that is Cibo. They have actual good food. And an employee menu where we can get actual decent food for under $10.

The Petit Bistro chain has decent stuff too. There's one in Atlanta. O'Hare has the Greek diner place in the F-Concourse. I like it, but it's hardly 'good food'.

But I can't name the pictured one.

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 08:51 PM
but again, they all do look the same

Louis
11-09-2007, 08:54 PM
I seem to remember a pretty good meal at Wolfgang Puck's place at ORD

regularguy412
11-09-2007, 09:09 PM
Going to ZRH? Can I come along? I'll show you around. Show you the best mountains. Jealous.

BTW, most airports are horrible for food. There is one good thing in Philadelphia (and only one as far as I have seen) and that is Cibo. They have actual good food. And an employee menu where we can get actual decent food for under $10.

The Petit Bistro chain has decent stuff too. There's one in Atlanta. O'Hare has the Greek diner place in the F-Concourse. I like it, but it's hardly 'good food'.

But I can't name the pictured one.

I think I remember eating at the Petit Bistro in Atlanta. And you're right, it's good food. I usually look around to see where all the attendants and pilots are eating,, and that's usually where the best food is.

Mike in AR

rwsaunders
11-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Hint...."City of Roses"....

m_moses
11-09-2007, 09:34 PM
You going to eat that salad?

nicrump
11-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Hint...."City of Roses"....

pdx

rinconryder
11-09-2007, 11:09 PM
Did you visit Sacha while you were there? I bet he liked your nice peperroni breath.

NicaDog
11-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Sure come along - I love Zurich, although it's supposed to be 40 and raining -
Was last there for Zurifest this summer - what a blast.
Unfortunately, can't take the bike with me - all business all the time.
Any suggestions on good resturants are welcomed.

Thanks!

Karin Kirk
11-09-2007, 11:44 PM
Among countless other great things about that area, ZRH is definitely one of the nicest airports I've ever been to. It's so quiet and peaceful - people even talk quietly.

There is a little train that connects you from the concourse to the gates. The train plays a little sound clip of yodeling and sweet cowbells. I dig that!

NicaDog
11-10-2007, 12:10 AM
I do dig those cow bells on the train - coming they remind you of what is in store for any short walk in the hills, and leaving they always make me think of a walking in the hills, and hoping I'll get back soon.

There is nothing like the sound of a heard of cows with bells on!

gdw
11-10-2007, 09:34 AM
Pizzicato?

Kevan
11-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Deserves me right for not reading ALL the postings first.

rwsaunders
11-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Portland Oregon it be. Good food at Capers Cafe; right past the TSA station. I used a fork for the pizza, as my Mac's keyboard and pizza sauce don't get along. Yes Mick, I ate my salad Euro-style...at the end of the meal. Life on the road.

Karin Kirk
11-10-2007, 10:06 AM
I do dig those cow bells on the train - coming they remind you of what is in store for any short walk in the hills, and leaving they always make me think of a walking in the hills, and hoping I'll get back soon.

There is nothing like the sound of a heard of cows with bells on!

Yes! That is EXACTLY what I think too. Makes me sentimental.

SadieKate
11-10-2007, 10:14 AM
For those of us who aren't so big into walking . . . .

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Cowwithhandebars_inkognito.jpg

saab2000
11-10-2007, 11:53 AM
Sure come along - I love Zurich, although it's supposed to be 40 and raining -
Was last there for Zurifest this summer - what a blast.
Unfortunately, can't take the bike with me - all business all the time.
Any suggestions on good resturants are welcomed.

Thanks!

There are lots of cool places in the Niederdorf, just up from the Limmat. I like the Zürig'schnätzlets (sp...) mit Rösti and a couple gallons of beer! There is a Bierhalle there with decent food. Anyway, I know where it is but it's hard to describe how to get there.

Niederdörfli. Great times!

fiamme red
11-10-2007, 07:55 PM
teterboro :D :p

Viper
11-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Do they serve sporks at this particular airport? Looks almost like a spork, on the far right. Sporks are so hot right now, especially titanium.

julia
11-11-2007, 11:22 AM
but here's another one, from my recent trip. couldn't resist. . .

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s306/juliahensley/danishslurpee-1.jpg

rwsaunders
11-11-2007, 11:48 AM
I love Coke Slurpees in any language. The ultimate brain freeze combined with a caffeine and sugar mix high.

NicaDog
11-12-2007, 02:53 AM
Thanks, I did a quick tour yesterday afternoon through Zurich - always have to at least go see the Chagall windows at Fraumunster.
I'm actually in Ruschlikon, which is one of those very sleep (especially Sundays) towns across the lake from Zurich.

Thanks for the suggestions, and just so you know, it's one of those lovely, sunny fall days with light shimmering off the lake and some high grey clouds.

saab2000
11-12-2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks, I did a quick tour yesterday afternoon through Zurich - always have to at least go see the Chagall windows at Fraumunster.
I'm actually in Ruschlikon, which is one of those very sleep (especially Sundays) towns across the lake from Zurich.

Thanks for the suggestions, and just so you know, it's one of those lovely, sunny fall days with light shimmering off the lake and some high grey clouds.

I have ridden through Ruschlikon many times. We lived in Pfäffikon/ZH (not to be confused with Pfäffikon/SZ, which is right on the Zürisee).

Thanks for the pics! BTW, you are right about the sleepiness! Saturday afternoons and Sundays are great in most of Switzerland! The peace and quiet is awesome, with no effin' leaf blowers to disturb the peace! The loudest thing you will hear in some places is a bicycle.

NicaDog
11-12-2007, 05:54 PM
And the regular sound of trains.

Sunday is nice and quiet unless of course you are looking for dinner!

Pfaffikon seems nice, I've only driven through ones or twice, spent a lot of time going between Kuznacht and Davos, and got lost every now and then.

Karin Kirk
11-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Lovely travelogue and photos - thanks Nica!
A clock like that would be cool to have. I am so impressed by that train system.

NicaDog
11-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Yes, the trains are very nice here - especially the little red ones that run up in the mountains! I was talking with a woman from Poland last night, and she couldn't understand when I tried to explain that you couldn't get around the US by train, it was do depressing to try and explain our fascination, addiction to cars.

You can actually by replicas of these clocks here, have one sitting in my office at home. They aren't the two sided hanging ones like in the stations, but nice none the less. Let me know if you want one and I'm sure I can figure out how to send one back to the States.

Here's a little bit of the sounds of CH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeLaDXUTBgg

Blue Jays
11-13-2007, 12:57 AM
Having the wonderful Serotta Forums pictured on the screen would have been funny! Bon apetite travelers...

Karin Kirk
11-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Yes, the trains are very nice here - especially the little red ones that run up in the mountains! I was talking with a woman from Poland last night, and she couldn't understand when I tried to explain that you couldn't get around the US by train, it was do depressing to try and explain our fascination, addiction to cars.

You can actually by replicas of these clocks here, have one sitting in my office at home. They aren't the two sided hanging ones like in the stations, but nice none the less. Let me know if you want one and I'm sure I can figure out how to send one back to the States.

Here's a little bit of the sounds of CH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeLaDXUTBgg

Aww - thanks for the video. Now I don't have to wait until my next trip to hear that lovely sound. I completely agree about those red alpine trains. Not only are they adorable, with their cheerful little whistles, their efficiency and safety is also impressive. My favorite trip so far has been the journey from Brig to Zermatt. That was my first time on one of those trains, which made it especially thrilling!

Thank you for the kind offer about the clock. I can look into it next time I go, I think that would be fun.

I hope your trip is going well. :)