PDA

View Full Version : Fenders

flydhest
11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
So, my bicycling technical and spiritual advisor has forbidden SKS raceblades. Rivercity Cycles "reacharounds" seem like they are sold out. Does anybody know if the following full length fenders from Planet Bike a) work and 2) fit on a racing bike with calipers?

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7015.html

saab2000
11-09-2007, 04:21 PM
I will bump this for you because I am curious about the same thing.

BTW, nice riding with you guys a couple weeks ago! I'll try to make it again on Sunday if there is no flying to be done!

J

cpg
11-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Depends on the bike. How's that for helpfulness? What kind of fork?

CG

mschol17
11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
I have an extra set of reacharounds I can mail to you/give you in person downtown. Send me a PM with your info.

coylifut
11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
they will work as long as the head tube angle and or fork rake isn't too steep. the only problem i've seen is the plastic bump thing on the front strut doesn't give ample clearance. the problem is less than frequent though.

River city makes reach arounds out very standard rack parts. any good lbs can bend em for you on the spot.

Orin
11-09-2007, 06:04 PM
So, my bicycling technical and spiritual advisor has forbidden SKS raceblades. Rivercity Cycles "reacharounds" seem like they are sold out. Does anybody know if the following full length fenders from Planet Bike a) work and 2) fit on a racing bike with calipers?

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7015.html

Highly unlikely. They are 45mm wide.

Orin.

11-09-2007, 06:22 PM
I have some extra reacharound kits if you need one.

coylifut
11-09-2007, 06:24 PM
he meant these. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7017.html

thejen12
11-09-2007, 06:28 PM
he meant these. http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7017.html
Just curious, what makes those acceptable and the SKS Race Blades not acceptable?

Jenn

flydhest
11-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Comment:

Thanks HUGE amounts to forum members who have been generous with offers of help through PMs. This forum has great folk!

Second, I think I did mean the wider ones, so presumably the width keeps them from fitting under calipers. Duh, I must have flaked about looking at the width.

Coylifut, I didn't know how they got made, so I called RiverCity and they said they were out of stock and were looking for a manufacturer. All I know . . .

Curt, about as helpful as a bottle of GrainBelt. It's a steel Serotta fork on my CSi.

Jenn, I think my goof of not looking at the size is the answer. If the wider ones fit, they have much more significant coverage relative to the race blades. I think that's it. At times like this, however, I just listen to my technical and spiritual advisor. He's proof that mensch and wrench rhyme.

palincss
11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Have you considered the Gilles Berthoud carbon fiber fenders?

The carbon fiber fenders are made in only one size; 700c x 25mm. They are very light. Since most tires labelled 700x28 are actually about 25mm wide, these can be used with most 700x28mm tires, making them ideal for brevet or randoneuring bikes...

--http://peterwhitecycles.com/fenders.asp

$190 per pair

Pete Serotta
11-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Great minds :confused: think alike, I just sent him pictures and description of these....... :cool: Very nice....I first saw them at DBRK ramble on his GOODRICH>

$190 per pair

vaxn8r
11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I don't get how the wider full fenders will work for you. These should with a little manipulation: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7008.html

You will need some mounting hardware to bolt onto your fork and chainstay. If you want full fender coverage on a road/race bike this is the only way I know to get it.

Orin
11-13-2007, 01:12 AM
I don't get how the wider full fenders will work for you. These should with a little manipulation: http://ecom1.planetbike.com/7008.html

You will need some mounting hardware to bolt onto your fork and chainstay. If you want full fender coverage on a road/race bike this is the only way I know to get it.

These do have the advantage of having a lip that should keep the water inside the fender somewhat. The mudflaps are however cosmetic IMO and the rear one does nothing for someone behind you. A 25mm Michelin Dynamic or Krylion will fit under them.

If the slot in the front tab works for you, great. If not, you might as well drill the rivets out and use zip ties... (IME, the slot is such that you can't get the fender high enough and it hits the tire, or if you can, the tab hits the bottom of the headset. Other tricks such as tapping the rear of the brake nut with a 6mm tap and bolting the tab to it with some spacers in between to make the tab clear the headset have been been known to be quite successful. On SKS fenders, the tab is soft enough to bend flat against the fender then up to get the slot where I want it and doesn't have the same problem. The Freddy Fender tab is too stiff to bend this way. I've also heard that the rectangular slot the tab comes through weakens the fender and the part in front of the tab breaks off.)

Orin.

schadenfreude
11-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Just curious, what makes those acceptable and the SKS Race Blades not acceptable?

Jenn

I'm also curious. While they're not as good as standard, full mudguards, they do work reasonably well. Much better than just having a rear guard clipped to your seatpost.

Too Tall
11-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Great minds :confused: think alike, I just sent him pictures and description of these....... :cool: Very nice....I first saw them at DBRK ramble on his GOODRICH>
Pete, in our world these fenders will require their very own kryptonite lock :rolleyes:

FlyGuy - I installed some SKS fenders on a forum members Ti Spectrum last night using the reacharounds when the subject came up yours....needing a reach-around. Anywho. Before you install this spare set let me make a template from the origionals. It ain't that hard to do....home depot has the flat steel and I've got really expensive burr bits we can destroy ;)

Birddog
11-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Curt, about as helpful as a bottle of GrainBelt.
Grain Belt in bottles!!? Where do you get it? How does it compare to the cans? Does it lose some of it's cachet?

Birddog

sspielman
11-13-2007, 08:17 AM
Get a Stratocaster...maple fretboard.....plug it into a Vox AC30...That will be all you need to know about Fenders.

flydhest
11-13-2007, 08:57 AM
sspielman,

Mine is plugged into a Fender Blues Deluxe (with the tweed covering), but I do have a maple neck. American Standard Strat.

Not as good as I hoped for keeping me dry on the ride to work today, though.

Birddog,
I have to admit I only had the Grain Belt in bottles, but I do suspect that from a can would have been a truer experience.

sspielman
11-13-2007, 09:32 AM
sspielman,

Mine is plugged into a Fender Blues Deluxe (with the tweed covering), but I do have a maple neck. American Standard Strat.

Not as good as I hoped for keeping me dry on the ride to work today, though.

Birddog,
I have to admit I only had the Grain Belt in bottles, but I do suspect that from a can would have been a truer experience.

Further proof that this forum is cool....

gone
11-13-2007, 12:00 PM
I'll admit up front I don't have a clue about fenders as I've never owned a bike that had them so please forgive the ignorant question.

Is it possible to mount fenders on a bike that doesn't have fender mounts already? I'm guessing the answer is "yes", if so, how? What hardware is needed? Does it mar the paint i.e., can you take them off? Some of my bikes have the wheels very tight to the frame i.e., rear wheel nearly touching the seat tube but a couple have a bit more space. Any guideline as to how much space is required between seat tube, chain stays, etc., to mount fenders?

Sorry about the dumb questions but I'd appreciate any help from experienced fender users.

Too Tall
11-13-2007, 12:09 PM
Further proof that this forum is cool....
Grain Belt was what the rich kids drank we could only afford Fox Deluxe ;)
Sometimes I miss Minnesota sometimes.

Grant McLean
11-13-2007, 01:18 PM

$190 per pair

bruce gordon has sets of carbon fenders listed too,
with the honjo hardware.
they look a lot nicer than the Berthoud, both very spendy...

http://www.bgcycles.com/news.html

-g

jsfoster
11-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Both the Bruce Gordon and Giles Berthaud fenders require one to have fender eyelets as far as I can see. Is there an adapter to allow us to use them as our CSIs are becoming our regular bike? ( so decadant). - Jon

Grant McLean
11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Both the Bruce Gordon and Giles Berthaud fenders require one to have fender eyelets as far as I can see. Is there an adapter to allow us to use them as our CSIs are becoming our regular bike? ( so decadant). - Jon

no/yes

it depends.

you can just strap a set fenders on with plastic clamps,
but it's not a simple process if you aren't experienced or handy.

There is zero point of $300 fenders if you don't have the proper
clearance and/or braze-ons, imho.

g

jsfoster
11-13-2007, 01:46 PM
no/yes

it depends.

you can just strap a set fenders on with plastic clamps,
but it's not a simple process if you aren't experienced or handy.

There is zero point of $300 fenders if you don't have the proper
clearance and/or braze-ons, imho.

g

Thanks for the rapid reply, but these do seem to be advertised for 'racing' bikes... I'll just ride when its dry anyway :)
- Jon

11-13-2007, 02:00 PM

The simplest way is with vinyl-covered stainless P-clamps. This has been addressed in various other threads in the past on this forum. What I've found recently is that the 3M films made to resist rock chips on lower door panels are superb at keeping your frame pristine during winter fender use. The sticky film goes on virtually invisibly, doesn't peel at the edges, but comes off in the spring. Unlike simple tape, it doesn't slide or create marks from P-clamps (or Race Blades, by the way). It also prevents cable rub marks and marks from practically anything else you might have clamped on your bike (race numbers, LiIon battery packs, etc.).

It's a rare frame that can't have a full set of fenders attached. If you have to compromise, it's usually only in the section between the tire and the seat tube and even there, it's a rare Serotta that has that dimension set so close you can't get a fender in there. The other problem is when you have a bike (often a cross bike) that is missing a chainstay bridge -- then you have to figure out a substitute clamping method, or just use zipties, or end the fender up at the rear brake. The last method lets some water hit the bike and you but you've still taken care of the vast majority of it, including all the water up your back sprayed by the rear tire. It also at least makes you tolerable in a paceline so you aren't spraying the poor fool behind you.