PDA

View Full Version : So for cycling flyfishers

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 02:52 PM
if there's enough of us, we can start a new sport. A flyfishing duoatalon or triathalon. Have to fish, ride, fish or run, or surf or....

I already have a course set up here in Sandy Eggo. Need a cross bike, have to stop and land fish in Bay and Ocean. Plus there's a ferry ride that you can make or lose some serious time.

we can add wine drinking on the Ferry

BURCH
11-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Nice. I have used my mtn bike to get to good fly fishing spots up in the hills and used road bike to get to certain town beaches in the cape for some surf casting.

I have even used my mtn bike to get to some remote spots for archery hunting. I was stopped by a park ranger who checked my permits and he didn't question the bike so I assume that it was legal.

Bike, cast, bike, shoot bow, bike...

SadieKate
11-09-2007, 03:37 PM
We sometimes use a mountain bike as shuttle when we do a drift. Does that count?

I've seen many people use their bikes to get to a certain spot on the Henry's Fork. I prefer to drift it 'cuz I can then have the dread and terror of floating under really low and narrow bridges.

Ginger
11-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Yep. Lock the bike at the takeout...pedal back to the car. :)

sg8357
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Sacha has biathalon bikes down.
http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2071

ashwa64
11-09-2007, 03:54 PM
yes! i am both an avid rider and flyfisherman.

steel is to bike frame material as bamboo is to fly rod material.

72gmc
11-09-2007, 04:07 PM
I am re-imagining my old Soma 'cross bike and getting to good fishing holes is definitely part of the plan. I think a porteur rack for gear and some sort of clamp for my rod tube will cover it; I just need to figure out the clamp.

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 04:30 PM
the Mecca Flat area of the Deschutes a crosser or MTB can be quite handy.
4 piece rod with a tube is a plus.

are you all mostly freshwater?, I saw one talking about Stripers. Grew up chasing trout, steelies and salmon but living in So-Cal we're pretty much Salties.
Going out tomorrow for hopefully SpotFin Croaker, Surf Perch and Halibut.

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 04:42 PM
with the oversized sand/snow tires so I can work Punta Arena better
for this
and this (sorry this one was from a boat casting to shore)

SadieKate
11-09-2007, 04:45 PM
I like this. We have them in single and double flavors, and they carry more snacks through Class III water. ;)

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/SadieKate/Yellow-Sally.jpg

Mostly fresh water. I'm having horrible DTs because we missed our October trip to the Rogue due to the move. The best smell of fall: yellowing cottonwood leaves and dying salmon.

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 04:47 PM
in Oregon is delightful indeed

thx for the pix

SadieKate
11-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Sacha has biathalon bikes down.
http://www.bikefanclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2071That's cool. Now if I could get a mixte version of that bike that would also like pulling a BOB trailer (ok, we'd need to add a few gears also), I'd be really happy.

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 05:14 PM
to hold Flyrods atmo

SadieKate
11-09-2007, 05:24 PM
For those of us in colder climes, a trailer is better as it can hold boots and waders, plus a multi-piece rod.

Or just strap the rod tube onto the rear rack.

One of these days, I'm going to ride/camp/fish the Warm River canyon from Ashton, Idaho to West. One 'o these days . . .

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 05:39 PM
has that big ole basket on the front for such usages. 4 piece rods travel well, then again I'm big with long top tubed bikes

are from Idaho? Have friends who have a cabin right above Henry's Lake.

SadieKate
11-09-2007, 06:07 PM
Hubby was born in St. Anthony. We keep a tent trailer up there though these days we tend to stay at a friend's cabin on the Fall River instead. Much more cushy. :)

manet
11-09-2007, 06:15 PM

csm
11-09-2007, 06:16 PM
manet... nice.

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Fall River Oregon
Fall River CA

I'm assuming near Ashton cause you mentioned the Fork and its low bridges

my dad's buddy (and co-author) cabin is right off Hwy 87 just before the Montana border. Can go either to Madison, Henry's, Hebgen or into Yellowstone.
The cutties hear me hiking up to the 2nd meadow at Slough Creek and git real nervous.

and Yes, cabins are nice.

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 06:23 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_5134_4.jpg

stuck that striper today mid-day?

on a Spey?

schweeet

Salt is Phun

manet
11-09-2007, 06:28 PM

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 06:31 PM
I'll have to get a scan of my 24" plus Cutty on a dry

doncha love that place?

haven't been in years

manet
11-09-2007, 06:34 PM

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 06:38 PM
spanking new T+T 11' #7 switch rod

are ya in an estuary or on the beach? thinking estuary cause I'm not seeing the need for a switch on the beach unless you really need some serious distance.

where are ya?

sharing is phun

manet
11-09-2007, 06:47 PM

manet
11-09-2007, 06:48 PM

pedalcr8z
11-09-2007, 06:49 PM
[QUOTE=ButtedMoron]Fall River Oregon
Fall River CA
The cutties hear me hiking up to the 2nd meadow at Slough Creek and git real nervous.

Wow, I fished those 3 ponds about 15 years ago.......cutties wouldn't touch my flies.....they looked at them and they looked at me next and said..."right"........I unfortunately tried to fish them Labor Day Weekend after the ponds had been beaten to death by weekend warriors. Fished another area nearby and directly across the stream was a heard of buffalo....very eerie!
Magnet, thanks for the pix, brings back great memories!

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 06:49 PM
river outlet on da jersey shore. stopped to make a couple a few casts.
wearing my work clothes, no waders, just a stripping basket.
while this guy had other ideas:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_5132.jpg

last time I used a ladder was on Pyramid Lake for lahontan cutties

figured it was a transitional section of water?

Sand eel or skinny baitfish pattern (or both)?

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=ButtedMoron]Fall River Oregon
Fall River CA

Wow, I fished those 3 ponds about 15 years ago.......cutties wouldn't touch my flies.....they looked at them and they looked at me next and said..."right"........I unfortunately tried to fish them Labor Day Weekend after the ponds had been beaten to death by weekend warriors. Fished another area nearby and directly across the stream was a heard of buffalo....very eerie!
Thanks for the pix, brings back great memories!

gotta go downstream pile casts into the eddies along the cutbanks

fish can't see you or any of your line. have to cast a mend into it because your line will be moving faster than the fly

Spring Creek techniques, fly has to be the first and only thing they see

I actually fished behind 2 guys flogging the water, would fish the water they had just hit and pull 2-4 fish from every run.

also if you ever fish after a big holiday, go weird. toss ants, attactors, streamers anything you think they haven't seen.

pedalcr8z
11-09-2007, 06:56 PM
Fall River Oregon
Fall River CA

Magnet, thanks for the pix, brings back great memories!

SadieKate
11-09-2007, 07:33 PM
Fall River Oregon
Fall River CA

I'm assuming near Ashton cause you mentioned the Fork and its low bridges
Yep, Fall river in Idaho. We can go near anywhere we want from there including the Bechler.

BTW, short speys are nice for us short folks even on a beach. Long rods can be pretty tiring when you're vertically challenged or when you need a bit of extra distance because being short on one end means you can't wade out as far.

ButtedMoron
11-09-2007, 08:49 PM
tomorrows stick will be a 9'6" 8wt Sage with my beat up Fin Nor #2
300 or 350 grain head.
My 11 wt last time out I was casting almost to the backing
tomorrow beach fishing, will only need 50' but sometimes 70' gets you to the next trough out. Will be fishing with Jeff Currier if any of ya know who he is.
hopefully I'll have some pix to post
first day of the year where I'll wear waders

A.L.Breguet
11-11-2007, 04:39 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e61/easterncaster/IMG_5134_4.jpg
What... is...this..... ? I said, what is this?
You want it all? Well you can't have it.

Viper
11-11-2007, 05:02 PM
We just had a 61 lb striper caught off Montauk in surf...

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-spoutdoors025442758nov02,0,4752118.column