PDA

View Full Version : Campy UT BB question...

Avispa
11-09-2007, 11:23 AM
I have noticed that my Campy UT BB/Cranksets make a random (perhaps once every couple of rides) popping noise, as when one skips a cog tooth. I was worried that after I replaced the bearings for ceramic ones, something got messed up, until I asked a buddy that rides with me often. He told me he had heard the same on his bike. He uses Chorus (no bearing replacement), I use Record....

I have checked everything (on his bike and mine), the pin, the cups, the bolt, but can't find the reason!

Do you have the same issue? Have you found the cause?

Thanks!

..A..

Too Tall
11-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I wonder if it is those big outboard bearings? I've noticed that ANY sounds from them are amplified...or perhaps not muffled by their location outside the frame? Snap crackle pop...is that the sound?

Bill Bove
11-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Open it up and really grease the crap out of it. I had one get real funky on me, the outside of the bearing cartridge got a little rust on it. Cleaned it up and haven't heard a peep out of it since.

znfdl
11-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Did you loctite the cups in place?

justinf
11-09-2007, 01:07 PM
Do you guys loctite the cups in place?

znfdl
11-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Yep, that is what Campy reccomends.

mcteague
11-09-2007, 01:13 PM
Do you guys loctite the cups in place?
At first Campagnolo said the preferred method was grease and torque and the Loctite method was only if you did not have the appropriate wrench. Now, Loctite 222 is their #1 choice. I don't know what prompted the change though. Mine are still greased, too much trouble to clean it all out and start over. It has been trouble free for about a year.

Tim McTeague

swoop
11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
check the torque on the bolt in the bb. it tends to loosed up sometimes. i re-torque every month or two.

Avispa
11-09-2007, 03:12 PM
At first Campagnolo said the preferred method was grease and torque and the Loctite method was only if you did not have the appropriate wrench. Now, Loctite 222 is their #1 choice. I don't know what prompted the change though. Mine are still greased, too much trouble to clean it all out and start over. It has been trouble free for about a year.

Tim McTeague

Thanks for the suggestions.

Another question on the Loctite... if you use it, will one have a problem taking the cups out?

..A..

thwart
11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
My trusted LBS guy says use blue Loctite (is that 222?) and no problems with removal.

znfdl
11-09-2007, 03:57 PM
I also blue loctite the axle connecting bolt.

dirtdigger88
11-09-2007, 03:58 PM
you can fix that problem by going with Shimano

Jason

znfdl
11-09-2007, 04:13 PM
you can fix that problem by going with Shimano

Jason

Why ruin a good bike ;)

dirtdigger88
11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Why ruin a good bike ;)

my point exactly

why ruin a good bike with a noisey campy BB :D

Jason

soulspinner
11-09-2007, 04:16 PM
Why ruin a good bike ;) :banana:

Avispa
11-09-2007, 05:19 PM
my point exactly

why ruin a good bike with a noisey campy BB :D

Jason

Well, Campy may be noisey, but Shimano surely is creakeily... :D

..A..

Big Dan
11-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, Campy may be noisey, but Shimano surely is creakeily... :D

..A..

I'm sure you guys are mistaken, nothing can be wrong with a Campagnolo crank.
Nothing........

:eek:

stevep
11-09-2007, 05:33 PM
i thk 222 is purple. can be removed and reinstalled. this stuff is excellent for bike use.
242 is blue and heavier duty typically for larger bolts or greater strength. still removeable.

Dave
11-10-2007, 09:04 AM
I would suggest that the problem may have nothing to do with the crank and certainly not the brand of the crank. More likely, the sound is from something else entirely.

One of my bikes would occasionally make a pinging or popping noise, accompanied by a slightly movement of the pedal that felt like the chain skipped a tooth. After it happened a few times, I noticed that it always occured just as I resumed pedaling after a brief coast. The culprit was an occasional skip of the pawls on the Mavic hub - a common problem. If cleaning and relubing with a light lube doesn't cure the problem, then replacement of the pawls, springs and/or cassette body may be required. My problem occurs so seldom, that I haven't replaced any parts yet. This bike sat unused most of the summer and I've just now put it back into service for the fall and winter (dirty road) season. The problem hasn't reoccured over the last 200 miles.

Isn't it kind of silly to turn every mechanical problem into a Campy-Shimano argument? Their are two major difference in the crank designs. Shimano bearing are pressed into the cup and slip-fit over the axle, while Campy's bearing press fit onto the axle and slip-fit into the cups. The other major difference is Campy's use of the Hirth joint with a two-piece axle.

Specialized and Zipp have included the Hirth joint is their newest crank designs, but I suspect they will use bearings pressed into the cups rather than onto the axle.

Avispa
11-10-2007, 09:15 AM
I would suggest that the problem probably may have nothing to do with the crank and certainly not the brand of the crank. More likely, the sound if from something else entirely....

On eof my bikes would occasionally make a pinging or popping noise, accompanied by a slightly movement of the pedal that felt like the chain skipped a tooth. After it happened a few times, I noticed that it always occured just as I resumed pedaling after a brief coast. The culprit was an occasional skip of the pawls on the Mavic hub - a common problem. If cleaning and relubing with a light lube doesn't cure the problem, then replacement of the pawls, springs and/or cassette body may be required. My problem occurs so seldom, that I haven't replaced any parts yet. This bike sat unused most of the summer and I've just now put it back into service for the fall and winter (dirty road) season. The problem hasn't reoccured over the last 200 miles.

Isn't it kind of silly to turn every mechanical problem into a Campy-Shimano argument?...

Dave,

Thanks.... What you describe is exactly what I have, but I no longer use Mavic wheels! Nothing wrong with them, I just moved on to use something else.

Now, the "Campy-Shimano argument".... No one is arguing, we are only playing!

Avispa
11-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm sure you guys are mistaken, nothing can be wrong with a Campagnolo crank.
Nothing........

Hey Big D,

Could I use this post for my signature? :D :D

..A..

Big Dan
11-10-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey Big D,

Could I use this post for my signature? :D :D

..A..

Sure thing....

:p