PDA

View Full Version : Lance = rodent

LegendRider
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Imagine a mouse that can run continuously for five hours without producing lactic acid, eats 60% more food than fellow mice, doesn't gain weight, lives long and enjoys a robust reproductive life well into old age.

It's called a "supermouse" and they've got 500 of them in a breeding colony in a U.S. lab, all created with the modification to a single gene.

Here's the kicker: Humans have the same gene.

You know what's next -- if this science makes mighty mice, imagine what it could do for athletes.

According to a news article, Richard Hanson, a professor of biochemistry at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, says a supermouse's physical performance is on par with that of a certain bike rider.

"They are metabolically similar to Lance Armstrong biking up the Pyrenees," Hanson explains. "They utilize mainly fatty acids for energy and produce very little lactic acid. They are not eating or drinking and yet they can run for four or five hours. They are ten times more active than ordinary mice in their home cage. They also live longer -- up to three years -- and are reproductively active for almost three years. In short, they are remarkable animals.

"On the downside, they eat twice as much as control mice, but they are half the weight, and are very aggressive. Why this is the case, we are not really sure."

Kevan
11-08-2007, 09:22 AM
relationship issues?

goonster
11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Are they compelled to jog bare-chested with celebritymice?

Fixed
11-08-2007, 09:30 AM
i bet they get loose
cheers

SWorks4me
11-08-2007, 09:35 AM
i know the article states they are mice...but i kept reading "rats"

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2007, 09:40 AM
i bet they get loose
cheers

. . . too late!

Sandy
11-08-2007, 09:43 AM
I always wanted to be a mouse.

Mickey

Kevan
11-08-2007, 09:53 AM
I always wanted to be a mouse.

Mickey

this is too easy.

CNY rider
11-08-2007, 09:54 AM
animals.

"On the downside, they eat twice as much as control mice, but they are half the weight, and are very aggressive. Why this is the case, we are not really sure."

Sounds a lot like the Olsen twins.
Now I understand the attraction.

sg8357
11-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Nice to see Astana putting their money to good use.
Now if we can get the mice on some really small recumbents
will be in business.

Scott G.

Dave B
11-08-2007, 10:29 AM
I read an article a few years ago that sounded like this. researchers have developed a drug that literally repairs bones, muscle, etc. I do not know how it works, but it can take an average specimen (rat) and make it super human..well super rat like. They were hanging 35 to 45 pound weights from the tail and the rats were able to not only hold them but move them.

Other really crazy amazing feats.

Apparently the doctors involved were workig on this for older individuals who lose strength and to help people who had brittle bone problems etc.

So apparently they began thinking about other uses and came up with sports.

The drug is completly undetectable in the blood stream, but if an athlete took it, it would be so obvious as the athlete would be able to do thing no other "normal" human could do.

Same ideas with mice and their abilites increasing. Crazy stuff though!

my2cents
11-08-2007, 10:40 AM
... some genetically predisposed athletes can accomplish some amazing things without unethical or illegal or banned artificial enhancements?

Archibald
11-08-2007, 10:52 AM
... some genetically predisposed athletes can accomplish some amazing things without unethical or illegal or banned artificial enhancements?Inconceivable!

gt6267a
11-08-2007, 11:06 AM
Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Dave B
11-08-2007, 11:08 AM
... some genetically predisposed athletes can accomplish some amazing things without unethical or illegal or banned artificial enhancements?

I used to show the Science of Lance Armstrong to all of my kids. It is amazing what his own physiology is compared to top level athletes. I always thought with his natural gifts, everything he put into his bike/position that he was the real deal.

There was one of those discovery shows documenting his run up to his 6th win.

It showed a table full of viatmin pills he would take before and after his races. Like 20 or so pills.

Johan sees what is going on and freaks wondering what the cameras are doing in his room.

Swoop thinks I am silly for having faith....He says all pros dope. :D

Avispa
11-08-2007, 11:14 AM

I had a dream that Lance was French and Tyler was his chimeric twin! :D

Anyway, I wonder if you give these rats EPO, would they be like that picture that BBDave posted? Or would the EPO, just to mellow them out...

Signed,
The ..A.. gene

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2007, 11:29 AM
I had a dream that Lance was French and Tyler was his chimeric twin! :D

Anyway, I wonder if you give these rats EPO, would they be like that picture that BBDave posted? Or would the EPO, just to mellow them out...

Signed,
The ..A.. gene

That WAS a Schenectady area mouse! It was just bad luck that we didn't see any out riding with you when you were up here . . . they're usually running around all over.

BBD

stevep
11-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Swoop thinks I am silly for having faith....He says all pros dope. :D

listen to swoop.
hes right at least 50% of the time

rdparadise
11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
Human Growth Hormone is considered the fountain of youth. It supposedly does what your earlier post was alluding to. And, it is undetectable right now to any anti-doping testing to my knowledge.

My dentist has been considering it and doing a lot of research. He's like me, late 40's, maybe 50 even and can't lift weights like he used to, etc. Wants to relieve joint pain and other stuff too. Studies show this stuff is amazing. Unfortunately, I don't believe there have been any long-term (10-20 year) studies regarding the positive and negatives of taking this stuff.

Doctors are using it for their geriatric patients althougth it is really expensive.

Regards,

Bob

jimcav
11-08-2007, 04:44 PM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
i can always watch it

A.L.Breguet
11-08-2007, 05:40 PM

JonnyComeLately
11-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Wasn't this the basis for the story in Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH?

swoop
11-08-2007, 06:38 PM
i don't say that all pros dope. i know plenty that don't.

e-RICHIE
11-08-2007, 07:08 PM
i don't say that all pros dope. i know plenty that don't.
bill buckner atmo.

BumbleBeeDave
11-08-2007, 08:25 PM
bill buckner atmo.

. . . atmo boots it! ATMO BOOTS IT!!" :eek: :crap: :butt: :no:

Oh, NO! . . .

e-RICHIE
11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
. . . atmo boots it! ATMO BOOTS IT!!" :eek: :crap: :butt: :no:

Oh, NO! . . .
okay dave - we can party atmo.
that was loose food on dell keyboard funny.

Viper
11-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Even he bonks

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lfLQVNavI8Q&mode=related&search=

Somewhere, an author is loling right now...

rounder
11-08-2007, 09:30 PM

If they called them "rats" they would have a hard time getting federal funding.