PDA

View Full Version : Opinion about frameset value

swalburn
11-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I recently purchased a cyclocross bike, so I told my wife I would unload my serotta frameset that is unbuilt at the moment. In late 2005 I came in possession of a Serotta Fierte with a Sierra Nevada paint job. It is a size 58 with a 56.5 top tube and a 190 mm headtube. I believe it is one of a kind. I'm going to post the frameset on ebay I believe, but wanted to get an opinion as to what it is worth. I think I'm going to try to get 800 for it for the frame fork and headset. The fork is a reynolds ouzo pro. It has a paint chip on the top tube and one of the decals is slightly torn. I rode it steady for two years. It was a great bike, but I recently purchased a smaller Lynskey that i am now riding. I'm simply looking for opinions as to how much I should attempt to get out of the frame. I have attached pics.

rwsaunders
11-07-2007, 09:38 PM
Nice paint job on a workhorse of a frame.

Fixed
11-08-2007, 05:47 AM
steel or ti ? sorry if i missed it i don't read so well in the a.m.
cheers

swalburn
11-08-2007, 06:47 AM
Sorry, I left that part out. It is the titanium model.

victoryfactory
11-08-2007, 07:14 AM
Are you sure that's a Fierte?
Are the seat stays connected with the pivots to the rear drops?
I can't tell from the picture, but if they are, you may have a Legend ST,
if not, it could even be a Concours CS. If this was made for the team, It could
be that it is a mixture of all those models specially produced for team use, and
advertising it as a "Fierte" could lower the perceived value.

If memory serves, Serotta said they supplied Legends to that team when they
sponsored them, no?

VF

swalburn
11-08-2007, 07:23 AM
I was told it was a Fierte when I purchased it, and he serial number begins with the letter F I believe. I'm at work so I can't look at it now to be exact. I knew it was a special Fierte, but I thought that only extended to the paint job. It was created as a Demo frame when Serotta was sponsoring the Sierra Nevada team. When Serotta ceased sponsoring them, my lbs said they picked up because Serotta no longer needed it. I will be honest and tell everyone I paid 1700 for the frame fork and headset. I don't really want to get rid of it, but it is simply collecting dust now, and my wife and I have a baby on the way. I have to start being a little more responsible with my toys. I rode it about 10,000 miles and it was a great frame. It has never been crashed. It got the paint chip when my bike tool slipped out of my hand and hit the top tube. I figured Ti holds its value pretty well so 50 percent of what I paid would be appropriate. If I wanted to be patient, my thought was that I could possibly get more out of it.

urchin
11-08-2007, 07:27 AM
Looks like the Sierra Nevada team frame from '05 - an Ottrott with the ST rear. I've got one and it is one fantastic bike!

swalburn
11-08-2007, 07:31 AM
I know for a fact it is not an Ottrott. Only the rear is carbon on my frameset. I know Fierte's didn't come with the Sierra Nevada paint, but I'm quite certain that it is in fact a Fierte. When I get home from work, I may post the serial number.

victoryfactory
11-08-2007, 07:38 AM
If it was an Ottrott it would have carbon TT and DT, no?
Why not call Serotta with the SN, which could designate a special model.
They'll be able to solve the mystery...
if they want to....

VF

Erik.Lazdins
11-08-2007, 07:44 AM
I think I recall seeing another forumite posting a Sierra Nevada Fierte a couple years ago. With the non cf tt and dt and without ovalized "lugs", i'd agree its a Fierte.

I think the bright color will fetch a good price - are you sure you want to unload this - it looks like a keeper!

swalburn
11-08-2007, 07:47 AM
I think I recall seeing another forumite posting a Sierra Nevada Fierte a couple years ago. With the non cf tt and dt and without ovalized "lugs", i'd agree its a Fierte.

I think the bright color will fetch a good price - are you sure you want to unload this - it looks like a keeper!

I have no choice about unloading it. I purchased a new Lynskey frameset (smaller size), and a new CX bike in the last couple months. Additionally, I have a baby on the way. I want to start getting some money in the bank before the kid comes. Additionally, I love the frame, and I really would like to see someone ride it. It is seriously just collecting dust.

Lifelover
11-08-2007, 10:33 AM
You may want to take a stab at selling it here on the classified forum.

I also recommend that you search for some threads discussing the sale price of Used legends. All though yours is a Fierte I suspect the resale value would not be too far off.

I love the Team Paint Job and gave serious thought to buying one when "River" (I think that was the member's name) sold his.

Your's is my size and if were for sale at a different point in my econimic cycle I would consider it as well.

Good Luck

swalburn
11-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I will try to sell it in the classifieds at serotta before I try ebay. I will post it there later today probably. I will post the serial number as well in case anyone wants to see it. I don't know what the price will be yet. I got quite a few messages saying 800 was on the low side. The flip side is that I really need to move the frameset.

Thanks again for the responses.

Jeff N.
11-08-2007, 02:36 PM
15 hundred to 2 large. Jeff N.

Fixed
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Sorry, I left that part out. It is the titanium model.
it a fine buy i'd buy it but i'd be punished
cheers

dirtclub
11-08-2007, 03:43 PM
it is a promo fierte in sierra nevada scheme from the last year we sponsored the team. i am pretty sure i am the one that did the final inspection before the frame left the building.

swalburn
11-08-2007, 06:03 PM
Bike is now up for sale in the classifieds section with this description:

I previously started a thread about the value of my Sierra Nevada Painted Fierte, and I've decided to put it up on the classifieds page. It is a stock geometry size 58 Fierte. The serial number is FT 58 666 (yes I'm serious). It was a promo frame that I picked up in 2005. It has a Sierra Nevada Paint job. It has a paintchip on the top tube that is pictured, and the decal on the top tube is worn. I rode the bike around 10,000 miles and it has never been crashed. It is in excellent shape. Other than that the bike is in phenomenal shape. Feel free to read the thread in the general discussion area. That is also where the pictures are posted The bike comes with a painted Reynolds Ouzo Pro fork, and a FSA Orbit headset.

I'm asking 1000 dollars for the frame for and headset. I will also accept anyones best offer. I will pay for all shipping and packing in the U.S. I really don't want to sue Paypal so I guess there will be an element of trust to the transaction. I've never sold anything online so I'm definitely open to suggestions.