PDA

View Full Version : I need a good fit...

itsflantastic
11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
For the last month, my right knee has been hurting.
I've decided this is likely due to improper bike fit.
It's to the point where I sometimes wake up @ night due to the pain if I did a long ride that day.

Oddly enough, I feel fine on the bike... Even more odd- I haven't sustained any injuries to speak of recently. So I can't figure out where this is coming from.

Anyone have any good suggestions for a place to go for a good bike fit? I am in Maine, but willing to travel as far as NH or Boston for one.

I've never had a pro fit and I think I spend enough time on a bike to warrant it.
Thanks for the input, as always,

Dan

Hardlyrob
11-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Contact Ti Designs on this board. He works at Belmont Wheelworks - in Belmont MA strangely enough - a little west of Boston off 128 / 95. It may be fit, it may be pedaling technique/ doing something weird with your knee that you aren't aware of.

I just spent some quality time with him getting numbers for a new bike and learned a bunch. He's apparently also working with Sandy via long distance.

Cheers!

Rob

Fixed
11-05-2007, 02:49 PM
check you cleat bro cheers

Hardlyrob
11-05-2007, 02:51 PM
check you cleat bro cheers

Fixed knows - do what he said first.

itsflantastic
11-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Touche. . .

It probably is my cleat...

Pete Serotta
11-05-2007, 03:08 PM
Ti Designs at Belmont or

FIT WERX
4312 Main S
Waitsfield, VT 05673
phone: 802-496-7570
fax: 802-496-7570
info@fitwerx.com
www.fitwerx.com
Serotta Bike Fit Technician: Ian Buchanan,Sarah Shorett

thwart
11-05-2007, 03:17 PM
Night-time pain usually is due to inflammation from an overuse injury, which doesn't hurt as much---or at all---when it's "warmed-up" during use.

Rarely (very rarely, actually) it can also be a symptom of cancer.

If it's not the cleat, think about more arch support in your biking shoes. Are you doing any stretches for patellofemoral (kneecap) problems?

And a little ibuprofen (think 600 mg 3 times a day) regularly for a week or 10 days might be wise.

My $0.02...

Dave
11-05-2007, 04:32 PM
A pro fit certainly won't hurt, but it might not cure your problem.

I'd rule out a medical problem by getting checked out by a doctor. A month isn't very long to endure knee pain, but when I first had problems with my right knee that lasted more than two months, I went to an orthopedic surgeon. An MRI revealed a torn meniscus that could only be fixed with arthroscopic surgery. The surgery fixed me up and I haven't had problems with that knee since.

I had minor pain in the left knee for the next four years. The pain and stiffness finally got bad enough that I went to the doctor again. Another MRI revealed a torn meniscus in the left knee, which I suspect I had at the time the right knee was repaired. I had surgery to fix that problem last April and rode about 5,000 miles on the repaired knee with no problems. My left knee began hurting again this year. After a couple of months, it was back to the Doc for another MRI and another surgery this August. I've still got plenty of aches in the knee, probably from arthritis, but I'm confident the meniscus tear is fixed. My Doc says that I've got little cartilage left under my kneecaps, so I shouldn't expect a pain-free knee.

Viper
11-05-2007, 04:36 PM
A pro fit certainly won't hurt, but it might not cure your problem.

I'd rule out a medical problem by getting checked out by a doctor. A month isn't very long to endure knee pain, but when I first had problems with my right knee that lasted more than two months, I went to an orthopedic surgeon. An MRI revealed a torn meniscus that could only be fixed with arthroscopic surgery. The surgery fixed me up and I haven't had problems with that knee since.

I had minor pain in the left knee for the next four years. The pain and stiffness finally got bad enough that I went to the doctor again. Another MRI revealed a torn meniscus in the left knee, which I suspect I had at the time the right knee was repaired. I had surgery to fix that problem last April and rode about 5,000 miles on the repaired knee with no problems. My left knee began hurting again this year. After a couple of months, it was back to the Doc for another MRI and another surgery this August. I've still got plenty of aches in the knee, probably from arthritis, but I'm confident the meniscus tear is fixed. My Doc says that I've got little cartilage left under my kneecaps, so I shouldn't expect a pain-free knee.

+73.425

Pro fit = great idea.

Listening to your knee and having it checked ot by an Ortho Dr = best idea.

jimp1234
11-05-2007, 05:04 PM
... Even more odd- I haven't sustained any injuries to speak of recently.
Dan

Have you sustained injuries before, particularly to this knee? If so what happended? Did it require treatment and what kind? PT? surgery? Did they do an MRI? if yes what what did it show?

andy mac
11-05-2007, 06:25 PM
with all respect, it could stem from any number of issues most of which a bike fitter couldn't ID.

disk problems? pelvis outta line? tight glutes? a stuck sacrum? trigger points? muscle imbalances? tight hip flexors? who knows...

make sure your motor is right before you fit around it.

:beer: :beer: :beer:

Ti Designs
11-05-2007, 06:26 PM
For the last month, my right knee has been hurting.
I've decided this is likely due to improper bike fit.

Need a little more than that. Where does it hurt, and what makes it hurt? Is it sensitive to cold? Does it hurt under the kneecap? Does it hurt just below the kneecap and to the inside or outside? Cleat alignment issues tend to go along with specific symptoms, as do bike fit issues. As any fit is gonna be a "let's try this and see how it works" kinda thing, I would rather get a better idea of what's going on before you made the trip, and maybe point you in the right direction.

stevep
11-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Need a little more than that. Where does it hurt, and what makes it hurt? Is it sensitive to cold? Does it hurt under the kneecap? Does it hurt just below the kneecap and to the inside or outside? Cleat alignment issues tend to go along with specific symptoms, as do bike fit issues. As any fit is gonna be a "let's try this and see how it works" kinda thing, I would rather get a better idea of what's going on before you made the trip, and maybe point you in the right direction.

flan,
his advice to me was that i should buy a moped.
worked, im fast and knees dont hurt
s

davids
11-05-2007, 07:14 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ti Designs.

heh.

stevep
11-05-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Ti Designs

good point.
he's less of an idiot than it first appears.
s

davids
11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
good point.
he's less of an idiot than it first appears.
s
I hadn't really considered that possibility.

Ti Designs
11-05-2007, 10:32 PM
make sure your motor is right before you fit around it.

This brings up an interesting topic - does the fitter work on the bike or the rider? If you see the fitting as adjustments onthe bike position or the cleat position, you're probably not going to solve many biomechanical problems. I've never heard a bike complain, so I spend most of my time working with the rider. Small problems with pedal stroke can lead to large issues with the body. The body has no problem adapting to things on a one time basis, but the pedal goes 'round 80 times a minute for say 200 minutes. Just for comparison, jab yourself with a paper clip - a little ouch and you're over it. Now jab yourself 16000 times - I'll wait... Most of what I do deals with what the rider does on the bike. Once that's worked out setting up the bike is easy!