PDA

View Full Version : Removing powder coating

gdw
11-05-2007, 01:17 PM
I have a chance to buy a nice steel mtb frame which has been powder coated. It has minor rust around the cable guides and most likely some which isn't visible under the finish but is in great shape otherwise. I'd like to use the frame for winter riding and backcountry touring so the powder coating needs to be removed to stop the spread of the corrosion.
My questions for the forum:
Does anyone have experience removing powder coating? I've been told that Permatex Gasket Remover works well and can safely be used at home with basic precautions. Has anyone tried it or have other methods they would recommend?

Volant
11-05-2007, 02:13 PM
Sand it! Goes quick and you can feather the edge for repainting. You'll have to sand anyway if you're going to repaint after using a remover.

gdw
11-05-2007, 02:53 PM
The frame needs to be stripped and repainted. The powder coating has seen better days and I'm concerned that the steel is rusting underneath.

cpg
11-05-2007, 03:35 PM
Some chemical strippers work well on powder. Some don't. It's difficult to predict. Most powdercoaters strip the powder with a blaster and plastic media. Perhaps you can find a local powdercoater to do it for you. It shouldn't cost that much. If you're concerned about the rust it would be prudent to strip the whole thing and check it over.

Curt

maunahaole
11-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Couldn't you glass bead it? That would take care of the powder coat and the rust all at the same time.