PDA

View Full Version : Saddles: SLR vs Aspide

MalleyNogo
11-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Folks, please help me! I'm looking for a lightweight saddle that will keep my undercariage happy.

Does anyone have any experience with either the SLR or the Aspide? How did they compare to other saddles you've ridden?

My a55 was truly happy on a San Marco Squadra back in the day, but I wore holes in the inner thighs of my knicks by rubbing on the embroidered logo. More recently I've been pretty comfy on Ariones but I find myself increasingly repulsed by their Excaliburesque appearance.

Any other saddle suggestions would, of couse, be welcomed, as long as they are available in white. :D

Merci.

Frank Draper
11-05-2007, 07:49 AM
MalleyNoGo,

If you have seen some of my recent posts, Twisted Hips..., You know what I have been experiencing with a saddle. The past week I have been riding an SLR and so far it fits me the best of any that I ridden so far. And I have tried approximately 6 different ones. I am considering purchasing an SLR or SLRXP. The only concern I have about the latter one is, will the extra padding add too much to the saddle shape that will cause it to not fit my anatomy as well as the SLR. When I saw the SLR in my LBS, the clerk, who is also a road bike racer, said, "Frank, that saddle is not for you." The SLR just happened to be on a bike that I borrowed that very day for a trial run. The more I ride it the better it seems to fit. The San Marco saddles with the embroidery on the top did not work for me. After a long ride I wore the imprint of the emblem as a saddle sore for a few weeks.

Anyone ridden the SLR and SLR XP? Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

Dave
11-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Other people's experiences with saddles really aren't relevant. You'll find someone who will post that both were wonderfully comfortable for them and others who found both to be awful. I tried an Aspide when they first came out and thought it was horrible. The embroidered logo hit me right in the sit bones. I then tried a Selle Italia SLK and found it tolerable, but not wonderful.

While it's nice to find a light saddle that's comfortable, I'd rather pay a 100 gram weight penalty and have comfort rather than endure even a small amount of pain. I've ridden with people trying to endure an ultra light saddle and noticed them constantly getting off the saddle because their butt hurt. I'm sure the light saddle caused them to expend more energy rather than less.

I use the Fizik Gobi, which weighs about the same as an Arione, but the shape is entirely different. It's got a large curve from side to side and it's also curved from front to back.

Ray
11-05-2007, 08:23 AM
Other people's experiences with saddles really aren't relevant.

Couldn't have said it better, but I try to say the same thing every time this thread comes up.

That said, if y'all insist on asking for opinions, I'll give you one, no matter how useless it should be to you. I've ridden the SLR for 50ish miles and didn't hate it. I could barely get out of the garage on the Aspide it was so frickin' uncomfortable. to me.

-Ray

Elefantino
11-05-2007, 08:29 AM
Other people's experiences with saddles really aren't relevant.
That also goes for shoes.

And shorts.

And helmets.

And, well, just about everything else.

petitelilpettit
11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
MalleyNoGo,

If you have seen some of my recent posts, Twisted Hips..., You know what I have been experiencing with a saddle. The past week I have been riding an SLR and so far it fits me the best of any that I ridden so far. And I have tried approximately 6 different ones. I am considering purchasing an SLR or SLRXP. The only concern I have about the latter one is, will the extra padding add too much to the saddle shape that will cause it to not fit my anatomy as well as the SLR. When I saw the SLR in my LBS, the clerk, who is also a road bike racer, said, "Frank, that saddle is not for you." The SLR just happened to be on a bike that I borrowed that very day for a trial run. The more I ride it the better it seems to fit. The San Marco saddles with the embroidery on the top did not work for me. After a long ride I wore the imprint of the emblem as a saddle sore for a few weeks.

Anyone ridden the SLR and SLR XP? Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread.

I have own and ride both the SLR and the SLR XP. I've found that it is the best saddle for me. I love the minimalist look, and it comes in white. I find that the shape works for me very well.

In regards to the SLR and SLR XP, I run the XP on my commuter, because the extra padding helps when I'm riding to school in normal street clothes. Both saddles work for me.

Pettit

petitelilpettit
11-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Folks, please help me! I'm looking for a lightweight saddle that will keep my undercariage happy.

Does anyone have any experience with either the SLR or the Aspide? How did they compare to other saddles you've ridden?

My a55 was truly happy on a San Marco Squadra back in the day, but I wore holes in the inner thighs of my knicks by rubbing on the embroidered logo. More recently I've been pretty comfy on Ariones but I find myself increasingly repulsed by their Excaliburesque appearance.

Any other saddle suggestions would, of couse, be welcomed, as long as they are available in white. :D

Merci.

I had the same experience with the Fizik Arione. I had one for 4 months, and by the end of my first 50-mile ride, I rubbed off the logos on the nose of the saddle. I found that the saddle impeded my movement on the saddle. Once I switched over to the SLR, I had no more issues.

Plus, the SLR comes in WHITE!!!! Hard to find, however.

Pettit

kerrycycle
11-06-2007, 01:38 AM
I had an SLR that I just could not get to work for me. I gave it about 5-6 months during base training (i.e. many long rides). I ended up trying the Specialized Toupe saddle due to 1) Weight 2) different widths. I highly recommend the Toupe, as it supports by the sit bones & does not feel like sitting on a 2" pipe.

With all that said, saddles are very individual-specific. Secondly, its not the place to shave weight. At the end of the day the 50-100 g difference for a more comfortable saddle, is negligible relative to the rest of the bike weight.

Frank Draper
11-06-2007, 08:23 AM
I have own and ride both the SLR and the SLR XP. I've found that it is the best saddle for me. I love the minimalist look, and it comes in white. I find that the shape works for me very well.

In regards to the SLR and SLR XP, I run the XP on my commuter, because the extra padding helps when I'm riding to school in normal street clothes. Both saddles work for me.

Pettit

Thanks Pettit.