PDA

View Full Version : campy crank with shimano 9speed?

sailorboy
11-05-2007, 05:07 AM
Looking to use cranks I have for a cross bike rather then purchase more stuff...can I run a record alloy crankset with a shimano ultegra shifters and derailleurs, all 9-speed? Will the shimano 9-speed chain work on there without any issues?

thanks!

Ray
11-05-2007, 05:14 AM
Looking to use cranks I have for a cross bike rather then purchase more stuff...can I run a record alloy crankset with a shimano ultegra shifters and derailleurs, all 9-speed? Will the shimano 9-speed chain work on there without any issues?

thanks!
Yup.

There might be some theoretical difference in the way the chain deals with the rings, but I've run all manner of non-Shimano cranks with Shimano 9-speed stuff and it all works fine. Not necessarily with triples, but never any problems with doubles.

-Ray

Hardlyrob
11-05-2007, 08:25 AM
What Ray said;

I've been running a Campy front end (cranks and FD) and Shimano rear end (Ultegra brifters, RD, DA casette) for a number of years. 8 Speed and 9 Speed don't seem to care. Don't know about 10 speed though.

Cheers!

Rob

chrisroph
11-05-2007, 10:29 AM
no problem it will work fine

sailorboy
11-06-2007, 01:58 AM
thanks everyone, I thought that might be the case but wanted to make sure. Biggest concern was the difference in the chain to ring interface, but seems like you all have had no significant issues. Cool!
sailor out

Fixed
11-06-2007, 07:37 AM
why not bro
cheers