PDA

View Full Version : Worn out wheels?

lemonlaug
11-04-2007, 09:28 PM
I broke a spoke today on my front wheel. I broke one on the back of this set a few months ago.

Should I just get them fixed (which was a pain last time, because nobody likes to deal with the Cane Creek hubs with nipples at the hub), and keep riding them, or should I take this as some sort of sign that they may be reaching the end of their life?

I don't know how many miles or how old they are exactly since I bought them second hand, I suspect they've seen quite a bit of road in their day, and I've probably put something like 5000 miles on them in a little over a year.

I'm about 145 lbs and they're 28 spoke wheels with the cane creek road hubs on velocity aeroheads. I've actually got some other wheels coming my way, so my main concern is whether I could sell them in reasonably good-conscience, or if I should retire them. Any thoughts?

What are the signs your wheels have had enough?

Did I do this by riding down too many curbs?

stevep
11-05-2007, 05:25 AM
have a small ceremony for a few friends and thank them for their service.
then put them behind you.

sspielman
11-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Ditto what SteveP said.....You have discovered the inherent flaw in that wheel's design...

lemonlaug
11-05-2007, 03:23 PM
That's what I was afraid of. I think I'll take em by the ol' LBS for a second opinion, maybe I'll keep them around just for emergency backups.

Thanks for the advice.

dookie
11-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Ditto what SteveP said.....You have discovered the inherent flaw in that wheel's design...

what's that? high spoke tension?