PDA

View Full Version : Pumps

musgravecycles
11-04-2007, 06:51 PM
My beloved Super Pista finally gave up the ghost at the CX race today. I've resurrected it dozens of times and as hard as it'll be it's time to let'er go.
:rolleyes:

I haven't had to worry about a pump forever, any equals to the Silca's of old currently available...

merckx
11-04-2007, 06:57 PM
Get another one. You will be one step ahead with spares.

michael white
11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
I think Merckx is probably right. i bought another brand recently, and am shocked how flimsy it is compared to the silca. it works fine, though

swoop
11-04-2007, 07:03 PM
park tools shop/pro floor pump is happiness.

Ti Designs
11-04-2007, 07:04 PM
My vote would be for more sensable shoes - but then it wouldn't be a cross race, would it???

OK, all joking aside, there ain't much to go wrong with the old Silca pumps. There's a valve, a gasket, a hose, a head and a plunger that uses a leather gasket - what died???

As much as I love my old Silca track pump (got it with my first racing bike), I've switched to the best pump in the world - the Specialized Pro. In the shop we have 4 different pumps on the sales floor, only the Specialized gets used. It's got the smart head ('cause cyclists are too dumb to figure these things out) Here's what you need to know about it - put it on the valve, pump, take it off. The only way I've seen these things get screwed up is when people try to fix them...

maunahaole
11-04-2007, 07:09 PM
I've used a zefal husky for years. I put a silca presta chuck on it. Pumps more psi than any human will ever need.

Ti Designs
11-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Pumps more psi than any human will ever need.

You're inflating humans???

merckx
11-04-2007, 07:16 PM
park tools shop floor pump is happiness.

I have a Park Professional (or whatever it is called) floor pump. If it ever tips over and hits the floor hard, the guage skips a cog, or two and then the pressure reading is off. Fortunately, the cog is calibrated in 10 lb increments so you can simply subtract the pressure that it is stuck at. However, it is annoying. Also with the Park, the inner chuck gasket for the presta fitting lasted about 8 months before it began leaking. I use tubs with latex tubes, so I'm using the thing daily.

I have a 24 year old Silca Pista that is still in service and has only required a leather plunger gasket every four years ($1.25) and a rubber chuck gasket ($1.00) every year. It's not made in China either.

maunahaole
11-04-2007, 07:20 PM
You're inflating humans???

As a hobby, not a profession.

Birddog
11-04-2007, 08:42 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/vero_1961_674017

Birddog

11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
As much as I love my old Silca track pump (got it with my first racing bike), I've switched to the best pump in the world - the Specialized Pro. In the shop we have 4 different pumps on the sales floor, only the Specialized gets used. It's got the smart head ('cause cyclists are too dumb to figure these things out) Here's what you need to know about it - put it on the valve, pump, take it off. The only way I've seen these things get screwed up is when people try to fix them...

Also my recommendation. The Silca these days is a pale shadow of its original self. I wouldn't buy one today.

The Specialized Air Tool Pro is cheaper, pumps better, more durable, has a better gauge, longer hose, better head, the whole thing is bulletproof, etc. What else can I say. I have one that five times a week gets thrown in the back of the van, gets all kinds of junk dumped on top of it, gets knocked all over, used by half a dozen different riders at the track, is always used to pump up to 140-160 psi, and just keeps on ticking. It also has a very nice handle, a very stiff shaft, a housing that doesn't dent, a stable base, and a little button on the top so that if you over-pump slightly, you can bleed off a little pressure and read your pressure real-time on the gage. Smart pump.

toaster
11-04-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't like any floor pump that tips over easy. My Silca drives me nuts.

Ozz
11-04-2007, 10:05 PM
I've used a zefal husky for years. I put a silca presta chuck on it. Pumps more psi than any human will ever need.
My set up exactly...for the past 13 years! Great minds and all that. :beer:

Too Tall
11-05-2007, 07:08 AM
Sorry to hear that. When is the funeral and will you send it to the great beyond on a buring pyre in a boat made from bartape and used spokes?

mcteague
11-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Blackburn Air Tower 4. Reasonable price, works fine and has a lifetime warranty.

Tim McTeague

sspielman
11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Silca Pista....I have had it since I was 15. I just occasionally replace a chuck gasket, leather plunger, or hose...other than that, it should continue to function for another 30 years. Judging only by how many people borrow it at races, rides, etc, I have to assume that it functions much better than most...In fact, there are times that I am led to believe that it is the only functioning pump in the state.

dvs cycles
11-05-2007, 12:15 PM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/vero_1961_674017

BirddogDon't pumps have an enclosed heel? Great legs but those are sandals, or so I'm told. :beer:

junior2189
11-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Get another one. You will be one step ahead with spares.
i agree silica is the best.
JUNIOR

PacNW2Ford
11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
I just cleaned the check valve in mine. I do it every 25 years whether it needs it or not. Works great.