PDA

View Full Version : vintage mavic parts question...

timto
11-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi all - looking to tap the collective wisdom of the group for this one...

A while ago I had posted pictures of my vintage GT project

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21858

The hubs and gearing that came with it were 7sp freewheel. Well I haven't been able to get the thing shifting right and I'm wondering if this era of group should be matched with an 8sp cassette? There seems to have been many mavic hubs over the ages. Reason I ask is there is a pair of '577' hubs on ebay now.

Anyone know if these would be 'period correct'? link (http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Mavic-Road-Hubs-577-32-hole_W0QQitemZ260177525673QQihZ016QQcategoryZ36144 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Thanks in advance.

Timto

michael white
11-04-2007, 05:35 PM
or a sachs aris 8 sp freewheel, which also come up on ebay from time to time. that works perfectly.

I know, because I use the same group.

regularguy412
11-04-2007, 05:41 PM
The description on the Mavic on eBay says 130 mm spacing. To me, that says: 8 speed. The spoke holes look pretty good but there appears to be some significant grooving on the freehub where the cogs run. The description also states that it needs a bearing -- which may or may not be difficult to find. Being that it's not 7 speed and with the other issues, I might pass on this item.

You didn't mention whether your GT was index shifting or not, but I'm assuming it is - with downtube shifters. Just turn the little D-ring on the right shifter backwards until it clicks and go full friction.

Mike in AR

timto
11-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the tip on friction and the aris freewheels. I've got two on watch.

What a great resource this forum is!

Cheers and thanks again

timto

michael white
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
that shifter is index only, though. it's a good shifter, I think. but there's no friction option.
it helps a lot to lightly grease it from time to time. take out the insert, clean, and grease, then tighten it back together just tight enough to keep in gear.

a bit of loctight on the threads, too.

iPaul
11-04-2007, 07:10 PM
The hubs showed in the picture are the mountain bike style as they have the green decal. Road models had red. Not 100% sure on this, but I believe the rear axle is longer too.

regularguy412
11-04-2007, 08:39 PM
that shifter is index only, though. it's a good shifter, I think. but there's no friction option.
it helps a lot to lightly grease it from time to time. take out the insert, clean, and grease, then tighten it back together just tight enough to keep in gear.

a bit of loctight on the threads, too.

Yeah. I think you're right. I thot about this while at the grocery store after I posted, earlier. If the Mavic shifters are index-only, then the indexing may just plain be 'wore out'. I run the 7-speed downtube shifters on my old C-dale in friction mode because of this very reason. There's so much slop in the indexing, I can actually be more accurate with full friction. It's tough if there's no friction for the Mavics -- that's such a nice looking grouppo.

Mike in AR

Ian
11-04-2007, 10:19 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2394/1866353559_2ea88a92cd.jpg?v=0

IIRC, the position of the pivoting piece marked in this photo affects the indexing. I believe (but am not positive) that the widest part of the piece should be rotated forward and the cable run outside of it for 7 spd indexing. Sorry my memory about this isn't better.

In my experience the indexing was pretty forgiving. I used my Mavic r. der. with a 7 spd Aris or Dura Ace fw, and Mavic indexed dt shifters or Shimano 7 spd barcons, and it always worked perfectly.

michael white
11-05-2007, 05:55 AM
yeah I was going to bring up the cable routing. to be honest, I usually use my Mavic derailleurs with the older simplex friction shifters, though I also have the index shifters.