PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat recommendation?

Banjers51
11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Anyone have a recommendation, or better yet good experience with someone who does powder coating in Massachusetts and/or Connecticut? I'm looking for a durable finish for a commuter frame, single color (probably white), in other words I don't need anything fancy. Thanks in advance for any ideas/leads.

Banjers51
"Putcher fangers on the strangs" E.Scruggs

rhmiller
11-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I like the powder coat finish on my frame. I didn't know this at the time, but powder coating fills in some of the "unevenness" in the frame. Now the serial number on my steel lugged De Rosa is now unreadable. :crap:

It's otherwise a nice finish.

Ralph

BumbleBeeDave
11-04-2007, 02:42 PM
. . . then be careful. My cross frame was powder coated black when I got it. I put decals on it, then wanted to get a powdercoated clear coat and the shop guy wouldn't do it. He said they have to put the whole thing in an autoclave to cure the paint--350 degrees and it would melt the decals. So we did polyurethane and it work great.

BBD

Peter P.
11-04-2007, 04:47 PM
In Connecticut, I would go here:

http://www.plastonics.com/

Although I didn't do business with them, I ALMOST did. Here's my story:

I was going to get a set of Kreitler roller frames powdercoated and found Plastonics in the yellow pages. I walked in the door and no one was in the receptionist area. I holler "Hello!" and this guy pokes his head out of an office and says he'll be right there.

He comes out, takes me to a room with color chips hanging on the walls and many samples of powdercoated items from car springs to engine parts to custom chopper bits.

He explains their cleaning/coating/baking processes and how they have to write up a process sheet, all very professional. Then when he gives me a price, I was somewhat surprised at how high it was. He explained it's because it's a one-off item and of course, if I was doing 100 of them the price would come way down.

Then he takes me into HIS office and says he often steers smaller jobs to his competitors; perhaps one of them can help me out. He calls two of them but no luck. I start asking him what it would cost to do a bike frame; his price was very close to Spectrum Powder Works.

http://www.spectrumpowderworks.com/

Turns out this guy was the vice-president of Plastonics!

I was just damn impressed with his customer service skills. So if you want to get your frame powdercoated in CT, I would recommend Plastonics. They're very easy to find, just off I-91 near the Brainard Rd. exit in Hartford.

However, I would also suggest you consider Spectrum Powder Works because the price is similar and they SPECIALIZE in bikes. I did wind up sending my buddy's frame to Spectrum because it needed repairs besides paint, and they did a wonderful job, sending me e-mails all through the process letting me know the status of the job, asking questions, confirming things, etc.

rphetteplace
11-04-2007, 05:15 PM
send the bike to spectrum

TimD
11-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Applied Plastics in Norwood.

Peter B
11-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Spectrum is tops, but it depends on your goals. If its a commuter/rain bike/beater, find a local shop. I had a Steamroller stripped and powdercoated black by a local industrial powdercoat business here in California for $75. Nothing fancy, not perfect, but perfectly suited to my purpose.