PDA

View Full Version : I rode 63 miles on a Trek 1000 yesterday...

caleb
11-04-2007, 10:23 AM
Earlier this fall I bought a Trek 1000 to use as a winter training bike out in the salt.

This Friday the Pegoretti broke (long story). I grabbed some old Look pedals and the Trek made an early appearance.

My low back was a little sore after the ride, but that might have been because it was cold and I haven't been riding that much.

Although it wasn't the Peg, for a $300 bike the Trek did a very good job. It almost hurts to admit it.

Frank
11-04-2007, 11:13 AM
and that sounds like a good deal on the Trek.

The pricepoints in cycling today are such that while some things are way expensive, there are some nice "entry level" production bikes that can get someone out riding a nice bike for a relatively low cost.

Fixed
11-04-2007, 01:31 PM
and that sounds like a good deal on the Trek.

The pricepoints in cycling today are such that while some things are way expensive, there are some nice "entry level" production bikes that can get someone out riding a nice bike for a relatively low cost.
+1
i'd buy old used steel though imho :beer:
nice set up job it looks like a bike

caleb
11-04-2007, 04:52 PM
+1
i'd buy old used steel though imho :beer:

Me too, normally.

But the price was right, and I needed something to train on in the winter that I don't have to care about.

Don't worry, it'll go back on Craig's List next May.

csm
11-04-2007, 04:53 PM
my son and nephew each have a trek 1000. they both rode ragbrai on them. I think it's a great bike for the money.

caleb
11-04-2007, 04:55 PM
It wasn't actually the Pegoretti that broke, it was the Campy UT crank on the Pegoretti.

The spider split between the chainrings, and I was left on the side of the road. Luckily I wasn't far from home, and a buddy came and got me.

I'm questioning the wisdom of making cranks out of carbon. We'll see how Campy deals with it.

I'd post a picture, but I already dropped it off at the shop for warrantee.

toaster
11-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Nice bike and it does the job, just wouldn't want to look at it everyday.

caleb
11-04-2007, 04:58 PM
I think it's a great bike for the money.

I have to say so too. Riding one makes you realize that riding a bike that costs 10x as much is functionally unnecessary. That's not to say it's a bad idea, just that you can ride fast on cheap bikes too. I pulled a buddy around on his Merlin Cielo for the second half of the ride...

caleb
11-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Nice bike and it does the job, just wouldn't want to look at it everyday.

+1 - It sleeps in a heap of bikes out in the garage. Doesn't even get a hook on the wall.

I think it would look better with the steerer cut down, but that's maybe more effort than it's worth.

Kevan
11-04-2007, 05:33 PM
that even cheap steeds provide 90% of the ride.

CNY rider
11-04-2007, 06:33 PM
that even cheap steeds provide 90% of the ride.

Yep, I think you can currently get 90% of the ride for about 10% of the price of a real artisan quality frame.
Let's not delude ourselves otherwise.

Frank
11-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Yep, I think you can currently get 90% of the ride for about 10% of the price of a real artisan quality frame.
Let's not delude ourselves otherwise.

"For most cyclists, the Atlanta delivers 80-85% of what the CSi has to offer at about 60% of the price"

Fixed
11-04-2007, 07:52 PM
+1 - It sleeps in a heap of bikes out in the garage. Doesn't even get a hook on the wall.

I think it would look better with the steerer cut down, but that's maybe more effort than it's worth.
bro thats part of it's charm uncut imho cheers :beer:

lemonlaug
11-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I just sold my Trek 1000 with no reservations whatsoever. I thought it was a great entry level bike, and I was always impressed with how well it handled playing second fiddle to my merlin. The merlin's better in every way, but in some cases the differences are more subtle than you might expect.

DarrenCT
11-04-2007, 09:22 PM
"For most cyclists, the Atlanta delivers 80-85% of what the CSi has to offer at about 60% of the price"

i wonder what serotta would say about the meivici ???

DarrenCT
11-04-2007, 09:23 PM
i wonder what serotta would say about the meivici ???

the same ride for 4x the price of a cda?

swoop
11-04-2007, 09:44 PM
for some reason i just see McDonalds.

Elefantino
11-05-2007, 06:07 AM
for some reason i just see McDonalds.
A Big MacŪ contains all the food groups.

http://thebluesite.com/images/big_mac_mcdonalds.jpg