PDA

View Full Version : Something to do with your Christmas Loot

dnovo
12-30-2003, 11:48 AM
For those of you who liked the Tommasini Tecno photos I posted at the image gallery, and who were thinking about one and can fit a 57 or 61, Colorado Cyclist just lowered the price even more to $699. If you are lusting after lugged Italian steel, with chromed bits and a great ride, this would be a nice way to recycle any cash you got for Christmas. Dave N.

SBash
12-30-2003, 04:14 PM
Dave

Can you draw any comparisons with some of your other steel rides such as Kirk, Merckx, etc? Also where can I find the geometry and sizing specs? I looked everywhere for them and would be nice to know top tube lengths and angles. I may be able to fit into a 61cm center to top.

SB

dnovo
12-30-2003, 04:37 PM
Go to their site. On the right is a section entitled 'resources' and then a section for frame geom. It is the same as the Sintesi model listed -- identical to the Tecno except -- and the TT is listed. Or call CC and ask for one of the sales guys. They are pretty good about checking actual specs for you. Not quite as smooth as the Kirk or the MX-Leader, but very nice overall and a steal at what I paid, let alone for $150 less. Dave N.

SBash
12-30-2003, 05:46 PM
I may pick up one of these but not sure at this point. Looks like the 61cm will work and I know this will not last long. I have been also emailing back and forth with Dave Kirk about building a battleship frame like a Merckx MX Leader except we will probably use Reynolds 725 for tubeset being Dave can tune the frame to my liking ( bomb-proof and stiff ) but a smoother ride with the Reynolds 725. Also the Reynolds comes in so many diameters and wall thicknesses for tuning. Anyway, I want a bombproof frame that I can take just about anywhere and I know Dave can do this. We will call this the "Battleship Kirk" for someone about 52 years old ( not a grandpa yet ), a little over 6'0, 210 lbs, not the size of BigMac but can still almost dunk a basketball. Not like the youger days though.

SB

Oh ya! Serotta's are at the very top and still looking for a Hors!

dnovo
12-30-2003, 07:29 PM
No question that Dave can work wonders and do it with 725. Dave persuaded me to use 725 when I bought my first frameset from him, offering to use whatever set I insisted on, but gently pointing out that 725 would do what I wanted best. While I may be fairly sharp on the more arcane aspects of the law (let me bore you with the fine points of 'choice of law' or 'Rooker-Feldman Abstension one day), I know my limitations when it comes to frameset design, so I deferred to Dave. Of course, he was 100% correct.

So when I wanted a compact 'sprinter' in fillet-brazed steel, and Dave said, once again, "725", I learned something about the many iterations of 725, diam, wall thickness, etc, and 'trusted the Man' once again. Got what I had asked for.

Bottom lne: Tell a Dave Kirk, a Curt Goodrich, a Kelly Bedford, or a Richie Sachs what you are looking for out of your bike and let them decide what will work best. "I'm a Doctor, dammit Jim, not a [fillin the blank depending on the episode.]" Let the pros do the fine tuning and the selection. While dbrk and a few others here may know their way around all the variations in tubing, I am only an egg.

Dave N.

shinomaster
01-01-2004, 12:59 AM
Also we could buy food for homeless people..

love,

Shino
xxxoooo

SBash
01-09-2004, 03:34 PM
Well the Kirk will have to wait being I'am between jobs at the moment but maybe later this year. Dave Kirk is a great frame builder! Now, the wife said no large purchases and I said " OK honey", so I went ahead and purchase a frame anyway. She will probably never know and after being married for 29 years, money in my Paypal account, the last kid in his senior year of college ( Paid for ), it is my turn. Anyway could not pass up the 61cm Tommasini Tecno for a blowout price of $699. Attached a Pic of what the frame looks like, though not the same size.

SB

PS: At almost 52, worked for 35 years, on unemployment for the first time in my life, I'm going to ride bikes for the next couple of months like I was a kid. Boy! hope I'm not a looser!