PDA

View Full Version : selling to the UK

Cdub
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Has any one had any experience with selling their stuff to some one in the UK? Does Pay Pal work the same? Is shipping crazy expensive? Should I walk away?

Thanks,

Cdub

maunahaole
11-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I sold some stuff (auto parts) a few years back. I shipped from Sacramento to England. It went pretty easy. Be very clear about the fact that the recipient is responsible for all taxes/duties/customs BS that may or may not arise. Shop around for your shipping options - like everything, it depends a lot on size and weight. You will have to fill out an additional form to attach at the time of shipping that describes the contents and also asks you to declare a value for the package. CYA and buy the insurance on the box, IMHO it should be mandatory to the deal.

My guess is that small parts will be surprisingly affordable to ship, but a frame or wheels will cost some coin. All of the major shippers have online calculators to determine your costs.

jpw
11-02-2007, 03:13 PM
The US Dollar is now weakening so quickly against the UK Pound that exporting to the UK is becoming an increasingly attractive proposition.

Any dealer want to sell me a nice new Serotta frame? :-)

malcolm
11-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I sold something on ebay a couple of years ago to someone in the UK and ups was astronomical, however usps was very reasonable. The item was however lost (actually it wasn't) and the forms and tracking procudure via the post office was cumbersome and inefficient to say the least. It turns out the knuckle head I sold to gave me an address she had a hold on and the item had been there safe and sound all along. I would do it again just be aware the post office doesn't get in a hurry and I mean months to track verify and settle, should it come to that.

Cdub
11-02-2007, 04:56 PM
Turns out we are sending to Canada. Any difference?

SimonC
11-02-2007, 04:58 PM
I've had a lot of stuff shipped from the US to the UK. As the buyer generally pays shipping, that shouldn't matter, but it's relatively cheaper for us (with the exchange rare) than shipping goods the other way.

PayPal works fine, as does everything else I can think of