PDA

View Full Version : Serotta HSG Carbon in the press

cs124
11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Ride Magazine (http://www.ridemedia.com.au/) reviews a Serotta HSG carbon in their latest edition. The author liked it... pleasantly surprised after his initial doubts about a non-metallic Serotta.

This edition also reviews a sweet Scapin, a custom built Al race rocket from Anatomic, a 'Dale and a Trek.

...and of course there's a picture of Cadel on the cover and an Aussie-centric review of the season.

jpw
11-02-2007, 04:26 AM
Of the five frames I think the Serotta looks most like how a frame should be. The others look either quite fragile in th eseat stay area or just plain ugly. The bb area in particular seems difficult for designers to solve with elegance.

jpw
11-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Of the five frames I think the Serotta looks most like how a frame should be. The others look either quite fragile in the seat stay area or just plain ugly. The bb area in particular seems difficult for designers to solve with elegance.

fstrthnu
11-02-2007, 04:40 AM
Of the five frames I think the Serotta looks most like how a frame should be. The others look either quite fragile in the seat stay area or just plain ugly. The bb area in particular seems difficult for designers to solve with elegance.

Really? I would disagree. Though the Serotta would be my first choice hands down, I would say the Orange bike lookes out of place and quite ugly next to the other's tactfully finished in Black and White.

BBB
11-02-2007, 05:29 AM
The Scapin looks very nice.

Interesting that in relation to the Serotta one of the captions says: "Greg LeMond used frames built by Serotta during his career and the company still relishes the chance to use the rainbow colours to hint at its link with the American's victory in Chambery in 1989." As I recall, LeMond rode a carbon frame when he won in '89 and it certainly wasn't made by Serotta. Not sure of the manufacturer - can anyone help?

cs124
11-02-2007, 05:31 AM
...As I recall, LeMond rode a carbon frame when he won in '89 and it certainly wasn't made by Serotta. Not sure of the manufacturer - can anyone help?

Carbonframes which later became Calfee, I think.

saab2000
11-02-2007, 05:34 AM
The Scapin looks very nice.

Interesting that in relation to the Serotta one of the captions says: "Greg LeMond used frames built by Serotta during his career and the company still relishes the chance to use the rainbow colours to hint at its link with the American's victory in Chambery in 1989." As I recall, LeMond rode a carbon frame when he won in '89 and it certainly wasn't made by Serotta. Not sure of the manufacturer - can anyone help?

In 1989 he rode Bottechia frames and the carbon ones were re-badged TVT carbon.

LegendRider
11-02-2007, 05:44 AM
Carbonframes which later became Calfee, I think.

LeMond didn't ride the Carbonframes (Calfee) until the 1991 Tour. He did ride other carbon previously - TVT if I recall.

On a side note, I don't think Craig Calfee ever got the respect he deserves. His frame was light years ahead of others in the early 90s. Even today, with very few changes, it's still a world-class frame.

LeMond told me personally that it was the best frame he ever rode.

jpw
11-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Really? I would disagree. Though the Serotta would be my first choice hands down, I would say the Orange bike lookes out of place and quite ugly next to the other's tactfully finished in Black and White.

Really. :-).

BBB
11-02-2007, 03:52 PM

TVT was the one I was after - thanks.

e-RICHIE
11-02-2007, 04:02 PM
at what point did we get used to seeing really
cool bikes photographed without pedals atmo?
ya' feel me?

EDS
11-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Of the five frames I think the Serotta looks most like how a frame should be. The others look either quite fragile in th eseat stay area or just plain ugly. The bb area in particular seems difficult for designers to solve with elegance.

I have to disagree. The Scapin wins the "beauty" contest hands down.

Big Dan
11-02-2007, 04:35 PM
The Cannondale looks serious....imho.

:cool:

soulspinner
11-02-2007, 07:37 PM
ya' feel me?

Never

david
11-03-2007, 07:13 AM
ya' feel me?

to be or not to be, that is the qu .

djg
11-03-2007, 07:58 AM
ya' feel me?

This permits magazines to do test rides without the pesky variable input of an actual rider. It's more objective that way.

zap
11-03-2007, 08:18 AM
The pictured '07 Serotta HSG is something only a dutch girl could love.

Now the '08 HSG is one cool machine.

mike p
11-03-2007, 09:19 AM
New HSG Carbon on website looks worlds better than that orange crate.

Mike

Avispa
11-03-2007, 11:17 AM

Let me expand on this... The carbon/aluminum frames used in those days were mostly French made TVT Frames and tubes. TVT is now a consortium of entrepreneurs, scientists and representatives; back then it used to be a company that provided/made parts for the aerospace industry. Obvisously, they also made these carbon tubes. TVT stands for, "Toulon Var Technologies", so the frames surely were NOT Bottechia or Pinarello or anything Italian! Most of these frames were put together by Look, the bike company, with the advise and supervision of TVT.

In the early 90's, most teams that wanted to try carbon/alum were using the same stuff: Banesto, PDM, Z with Lemond, etc. As a matter of fact, Indurain rode the same kind of frame to win a couple of Tours. The teams just added the decals and paint job of their real bike sponsors.

One of Lemon's 1990 Tour winning bikes, still a TVT, can be seen here:
http://www.bikecult.com/works/archive/06bicycles/lemondTVT90TdF.html

Greg started to ride Calfee's Carbon Frames at the end of 1990.

Cheers!

..A..