PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Can Be Expensive!

Sandy
11-01-2007, 08:42 AM
If one prudently, reasonably, and intelligently makes cycling purchases, then one can enjoy cycling without too great of an expenditure. Fun, and physical and emotional health at a most reasonable financial investment.

But cycling can be expensive. I own one bike- a 2004 Serotta Ottrott ST- expensive at the time of purchase but considerably cheaper than a comparable 2008. Yesterday, I completed the purcahse of two handbuilt wheelsets, one from Jeremy and one from ergott- to replace the two wheelsets that I have used for years, which simply wore out. The combined cost for the two is $1500. I anticipate using one set for my OttrottST and one for a second bike that I will probably be purcashing- all steel CDA Serotta- price- probably around $5,000 I guess. I used the Tune hub from one set of the worn out wheels and the Dura-Ace from the other set, combined with Mavic Open Pro rims to make a set of wheels- cost $300. I will use that set in winter and poor roads or rain, and on the trainer (have none now) that I am going to purchase-Cyclops Mag-$159. Just bought two cassettes from probike.com (Dura-Ace 10- 12-27) for the wheels or for inventory for future use- $256. Add those purchases up, even not including a potential CDA, and one can see that cycling can be very expensive. That does not include tires, maintenance, cycling specific clothing, nutrition items, etc.

I bought a very nice car- first personal car purchase in probably 40 years. Undoubtedly,other than that major purchase, I spend much more money on bike related items than in probably everything else combined on a personal basis.

Cycling can be expensive. Very expensive. I own ony one bike. What about those of us who own 10 or more? Especially those of us who constantly change the inventory of bikes and wheels that they possess.

Needing a loan,

Sandy

J.Greene
11-01-2007, 08:59 AM
As the price of Veloflex tubs approach the cost of car tires I've been feeling this too. To make myself feel better I think of my pals that play lots of golf. 20-50k per year is what they spend on dues, fees, expenses, travel and the beer cart girl.

JG

ecl2k
11-01-2007, 09:06 AM
only expensive when you treat it like a hobby instead of a sport, buying what you want instead of what you need.

Kevan
11-01-2007, 09:14 AM
go snivel elsewheres!

Building budget bikes is fun, but so many times very frustrating. I've neared completion of the Bridgestone's build and now have to start looking for a better frame. I'm heavy into college payment time so I have to satisfy my lust digging down here in the bargain basement. I'm learning lots all the while doing this. I figure sometime '08, I'll be trying to score a better frame for my bike, but there aren't many transition steps between what's an okay frame like this 400 model and something like a Riv which is very good. I guess something like a Kogs would be my next step, but then...is it really worth taking that step or simply waiting and saving another year for the Riv?

Pete Serotta
11-01-2007, 09:20 AM
cheaper than the alternatives........Your health is priceless.

If you think cycling is expensive wait till you see what the 15K service will cost you on the "P" :D :D

Sandy
11-01-2007, 09:21 AM
only expensive when you treat it like a hobby instead of a sport, buying what you want instead of what you need.

THat is certainly very true---up to a point, I believe, ecl2k-You can buy much cheaper, but still high quality wheels cheaper than the $750 avearge I paid for them, and no one needs a Serotta. A bike at half or third of the cost of my Serotta might ride exceptionally well, if it fits properly.

But you still have the costs of repairs, tires, tune-up etc. But no one needs a Serotta or $750 wheels, nor does anyone need Dura-Ace.

Bottom line- You are absolutely correct.

Sandty

KeithS
11-01-2007, 09:36 AM
A friend of mine asked me the crass question on "how much did you pay for that bike?" He was getting kid junk out of the back of his new ML350 SUV (kinda like a Cayenne) and I responded with candor, about $5K. He said he had been looking at bikes too and he said you can get an awfully nice bike for a lot less. I asked him if he had heard that Saturn was making a mini SUV similar in size and shape to his Mercedes? Point taken he responded. I put more miles on my bike this summer than three of my friends with $25K Harley's put on their rides. Combined. Not to mention here in the land of 10,000 lakes, almost anything is cheaper than a boat...

I used to have a bad golf jones, now I have a bad bike jones. I am much healthier, and I think money ahead. Hard to keep the cigars lit on the bike though...

Lifelover
11-01-2007, 09:43 AM
..to replace the two wheelsets that I have used for years, which simply wore out.

What were they and how much do you want for them. I suspect I could get many happy miles out of your wore out Wheels.

That is the ONLY way I can afford to ride anything different than what I have.

My wife has been super supportive of my cycle related spending in the past but it has gotten to a point where I had to stop.

Strange enough, it has not been as hard as I thought it would be.

Dave B
11-01-2007, 09:43 AM
S-Dog.

I do agree that no one needs the top level stuff unless you are a top level racer.....BUT

If you or anyone for that matter works hard and budgets their money for these things then I would argue that it is well worth it.

I bet in any passion whether good or not (bikes, cars, books, travel, or booze) there are different levels that do the same thing.

I always hear, "there are much worse things I could spend money on!" Yeah and there probably are. If you want it and can afford it then what else is there.

If some JA comes up and condems you for using top level stuff then channel me and shove a stick in his spokes when he is flyign downhill!

Or somethign like that.

I say if you have the money then enjoy while you are alive. You earned it.

Fixed
11-01-2007, 10:12 AM
bikes good servants bad masters
cheers imho

Fat Robert
11-01-2007, 10:18 AM
even if you buy the cheap stuff, its expensive

i'm tryin to replace my old shorts that i got at the start of '05...you start buying six pairs of shorts, even inexpensive ones, you see how this **** adds up...

Acotts
11-01-2007, 10:28 AM
So, there is an old adage; either you have time or money. Well at 26, I have neither. But i do like a nice bike.

I just recently built my own Fierte. $750 for the frame (it was an '06 on closeout) 200 for the carbon fork (ouzo pro), 250 on tools, 100 for cables, and a hundo on new tires.

I hocked a mix of 105 shifters with ultegra drivetrain off of a $900 Scattante.

$1400 for, what i consider an excellent bike. No frills, no bills. Not to mention the happiness that came with learning how to build a bike. The problem then became, unlike the origional scattante, this bike was too nice to be ridden in the rain.

So now it gets even better. I have a busted old Single Speed sitting in a storage unit from years ago. (well before i started biking.)

Anyways, I am stripping and cleaning the drivetrain, throwing an Eno hub onto a spare wheel, and reffitting the Scattante as a fixed. The neat thing is that I already have all the tools and knowledge that I need. That will be 150 bucks for super-light fixedbeater. Its gonna be great.

two bikes, for the costs of some wheels. I love it.

-A

p.s.- I do have a set of $800 dollar used weels that effectivly double the price of my bike.

p.s.s- If I could, I would be riding a vanilla or a sachs in a heartbeat.

p.s.s.s- In a perfect world, I would have a decent mountain bike, and cyclocross bike to accompany my Tri-bike, roadbike and fixy. That one will be a very tough sell for the missus!

Pete Serotta
11-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Need vs want can sometimes overlap greatly. "Hobby" vs a "Sport" in my limited view only has a difference if I am getting paid to participate in the sport.

None of us 'need" a bike - we "want" one. If one can match their personal affordability for something with their need for something - then the two are a match. The definition of "expensive" means something different to most all folks, based on their perceived need. Ken just mention on another thread about those starbuck $4-$5 coffee/day needs. I mentioned cigarettes and $5-$10/day. Some folks will say they need one or both. I sure do not need a $20 bottle of wine - BUT I SURE ENJOY IT :D

Just my two cents..... Bikes are no more expensive than most other "likes". If fact it is cheaper than many.... Key is to use them often~~~ :cool:

jimcav
11-01-2007, 10:32 AM
that was ME. My old nishiki tri-A with biopace shimano 600 group. then i decided to do the MRS T triathlon in chicago--got a TCR, then got transferred to san diego (beforr MRS T by the way--bummer). I started riding to work (year round--which i still do, although it was MUCH more fun in SD), doing triathlons--just had to have a road bike and tri bike, then the veloswaps, etc. next thing i know, transferring to maryland with 4 bikes on top, 4 on the hitch rack, and my prized tri bike inside the SUV.

I spend an insane amounts on bike--i'd say 1/5th or more of my paycheck. But not much on gas for my car. I ride 22-50 miles a day, depending on weather i vary the route. In summer i may do 68 in a day by taking my long route both to and fro.

I get huge mental health benefits--dislike the job, so cycling keeps me going.

i don't think ill ever get back to one bike--i could see 3 though--but they need to be the perfect 3.

jim

palincss
11-01-2007, 10:37 AM
If one prudently, reasonably, and intelligently makes cycling purchases, then one can enjoy cycling without too great of an expenditure. Fun, and physical and emotional health at a most reasonable financial investment.

But cycling can be expensive. I own one bike- a 2004 Serotta Ottrott ST- expensive at the time of purchase but considerably cheaper than a comparable 2008. Yesterday, I completed the purcahse of two handbuilt wheelsets, one from Jeremy and one from ergott- to replace the two wheelsets that I have used for years, which simply wore out. The combined cost for the two is $1500. I anticipate using one set for my OttrottST and one for a second bike that I will probably be purcashing- all steel CDA Serotta- price- probably around $5,000 I guess. I used the Tune hub form one set of the worn out wheels and the Dura-Ace from the other set, combined with Mavic Open Pro rims to make a set of wheels- cost $300. I will use that set in winter and poor roads or rain, and on the trainer (have none now) that I am going to purchase-Cyclops Mag-$159. Just bought two cassettes from probike.com (Dura-Ace 10- 12-27) for the wheels or for inventory for future use- $256. Add those purchases up, even not including a potential CDA, and one can see that cycling can be very expensive. That does not include tires, maintenance, cycling specific clothing, nutrition items, etc.

I bought a very nice car- first personal car purchase in probably 40 years. Undoutedly,other than that major purchase, I spend much more money on bike related items than in probably everything else combined on a personal basis.

Cycling can be expensive. Very expensive. I own ony one bike. What about those of us who own 10 or more? Especially those of us who constantly change the inventory of bikes and wheels that they posses.

Two wheelsets, $1,500; one of those two cost $300. That means the other wheel set cost $1,200? That's pretty extraordinary, between two and three times what I would think a deluxe set of hand-built wheels would cost. What does a $1,200 wheelset have that a $600 set of DuraAce/Open Pro wheels wouldn't?

Even a SON front/DuraAce rear with OpenPro wheelset would only run around $800, and make it an Ultegra rear rather than DuraAce and it'll be around $600 -- and there you've got the benefit of having a generator hub, which certainly is worth something.

And what does that $180 DuraAce 12-27 10spd cassette have that a $73 12-27 Ultegra 10 cassette doesn't, that an ordinary recreational rider like you or me actually needs or could use?

While at the first rest stop on the PPTC Century this Sept. I overheard a guy talking about his new carbone handlebar/stem combination, how he'd saved some dimly remembered number of grams, maybe 100 or so, and how the combination had cost something like a thousand bucks.

So I suppose you could say gee, a thousand bucks for a handlebar and stem, my goodness cycling sure is expensive. (Especially since you could get a perfectly nice Nitto handlebar for under fifty bucks, a handmade custom stem that would make you weep for the beauty of it for a couple of hundred, or a plain ordinary perfectly serviceable and even nice looking production stem for eighty bucks or less.)

Or you could say, for most of us, a thousand dollar handlebar and stem, or a $1,200 wheelset, aren't "cycling", they're "extravagance" expenses. And yes, extravagance sure can get expensive.

J.Greene
11-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I spend an insane amounts on bike--i'd say 1/5th or more of my paycheck.
jim

One of the nice things about this forum is we can admit stuff here we'd never ever tell anyone else.

JG

Pete Serotta
11-01-2007, 10:54 AM
See Mercedes vs Saturn.......discussion :argue:

"Value" is in the eye of the beholder.....IF we do not see the value of the same item, we do not have to buy. But we should be polite enough to respect others - - unless they are using our money or credit card for their purchase.

I would never spend $$$$$ onlightness (as Mr xyz) but he would never spend $$$$$ of RED (as PETE Does). We can still be best of friends and respect each other....

Two wheelsets, $1,500; one of those two cost $300. That means the other wheel set cost $1,200? That's pretty extraordinary, between two and three times what I would think a deluxe set of hand-built wheels would cost. What does a $1,200 wheelset have that a $600 set of DuraAce/Open Pro wheels wouldn't?

Even a SON front/DuraAce rear with OpenPro wheelset would only run around $800, and make it an Ultegra rear rather than DuraAce and it'll be around $600 -- and there you've got the benefit of having a generator hub, which certainly is worth something.

And what does that $180 DuraAce 12-27 10spd cassette have that a $73 12-27 Ultegra 10 cassette doesn't, that an ordinary recreational rider like you or me actually needs or could use?

While at the first rest stop on the PPTC Century this Sept. I overheard a guy talking about his new carbone handlebar/stem combination, how he'd saved some dimly remembered number of grams, maybe 100 or so, and how the combination had cost something like a thousand bucks.

So I suppose you could say gee, a thousand bucks for a handlebar and stem, my goodness cycling sure is expensive. (Especially since you could get a perfectly nice Nitto handlebar for under fifty bucks, a handmade custom stem that would make you weep for the beauty of it for a couple of hundred, or a plain ordinary perfectly serviceable and even nice looking production stem for eighty bucks or less.)

Or you could say, for most of us, a thousand dollar handlebar and stem, or a $1,200 wheelset, aren't "cycling", they're "extravagance" expenses. And yes, extravagance sure can get expensive.

rwsaunders
11-01-2007, 11:03 AM
One of the nice things about this forum is we can admit stuff here we'd never ever tell anyone else.

JG

"Hello, my name's Bob....and I'm a cyclist."

xlbs
11-01-2007, 11:06 AM
when compared to other sports.

Amortize $10,000 of 'cycling expense over 10 years (estimated life-span of two good bicycles well equipped---shoes, clothing etc.---and maintained) for $1,000 per year.

Compare this to the full costs involved in maintaining a moderately active golf habit. Factor in green's fees, clothing purchases, memberships, club and supply purchases etc. and I'd be willing to wager that the costs are about double that of 'cycling.

Or, factor in skiing including equipment and accessories purchases, lift fees, travel and accommodation costs etc.

Or, try moderate fishing pursuits...boat, motor, trailer, travel costs, gear etc.

Or, a good gym membership?

How about kids or adult hockey?

When one looks around and asks "how much" over time, I believe 'cycling is a bargain and a half, and not at all expensive, especially if one has the inclination to buy a MODERATELY PRICED bicycle and gear. Note that my original comment suggested TWO bicycles...

Kevan
11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
None of us 'need" a bike - we "want" one.

That I "need" a bike. I use it for my exercise, I use it for my commute, I use it to escape, I use it for my existance. Does it need to be $10k worth of need? Certainly not. $4k? Let's aim lower.

When my disposable income returns I see myself ordering one more "new" bike. I also see myself owning a few more bikes, but they'll be had as pre-owns. Nothing wrong with that, I'm an off the rack type of guy and there's plenty of the stuff hanging.

I would challenge that us frugal types get a bit more out of the bicycles we own. We are richer for our experience in building and repairing our own bikes. We learn to understand how bikes tick. We really appreciate the talent of others who dig us out from dark-deep holes. We can admire the struggle of others.

I will say this... new bikes and new parts are a whole lot easier to work with.

Anyway...I like the black grease stuck under my fingernails.

ecl2k
11-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Need vs want can sometimes overlap greatly. "Hobby" vs a "Sport" in my limited view only has a difference if I am getting paid to participate in the sport.

None of us 'need" a bike - we "want" one. If one can match their personal affordability for something with their need for something - then the two are a match. The definition of "expensive" means something different to most all folks, based on their perceived need. Ken just mention on another thread about those starbuck $4-$5 coffee/day needs. I mentioned cigarettes and $5-$10/day. Some folks will say they need one or both. I sure do not need a $20 bottle of wine - BUT I SURE ENJOY IT :D

To clarify, I think there is a point at which the extra cash doesn't buy significantly extra performance. I fear a large chunk of riders taking a double blind challenge between an otrott with dura ace and a fuji with 105 would not be able to tell the difference. I think it becomes more of a hobby vs. an exercise activity when you want more than is realistically needed to do whatever it is you do on a bike - at minimum you need a bike that fits and shifts/brakes well I think. Kind of like the difference between people that just buy stamps to send letters and those that collect stamps and wallow in all the history and details. I dunno, thank god for light expensive stuff though, I love it, but when friends ask me for advice I don't kid myself and probably would put them on a chinese bike to start off with.

Skrawny
11-01-2007, 11:18 AM
My Legend is now less than $0.25 per mile!
-s

Firenze
11-01-2007, 11:19 AM
A strong case could be made that my bike has saved and continues to save my life and my future. Since I started riding seriously this spring – weight down, cholesterol good, blood pressure down, heart scan clean, aerobic capacity up, etc. I just plain feel good.
$5,000 to $6,000 for all that seems a bargain. Part of the hobby or sport of bicycling for me is the tinkering and collecting of good gear. If that helps to keep me engaged and involved then it is part of the bargain for me.

Pete Serotta
11-01-2007, 11:35 AM
Is that the grease from Sandy's bike???? WE all have "a bar" that we are comfortable staying below....Mine is in Tom's wine cellar :D

That I "need" a bike. I use it for my exercise, I use it for my commute, I use it to escape, I use it for my existance. Does it need to be $10k worth of need? Certainly not. $4k? Let's aim lower.

When my disposable income returns I see myself ordering one more "new" bike. I also see myself owning a few more bikes, but they'll be had as pre-owns. Nothing wrong with that, I'm an off the rack type of guy and there's plenty of the stuff hanging.

I would challenge that us frugal types get a bit more out of the bicycles we own. We are richer for our experience in building and repairing our own bikes. We learn to understand how bikes tick. We really appreciate the talent of others who dig us out from dark-deep holes. We can admire the struggle of others.

I will say this... new bikes and new parts are a whole lot easier to work with.

Anyway...I like the black grease stuck under my fingernails.

djg
11-01-2007, 11:40 AM

I'm not sure but I think you've misread him. I think Sandy was saying that he's ordered a nice wheelset from ergott and another nice one from jp and that he's got a 300 buck set for rain/trainer/hairshirt days. I'm not sure, but that's how it seems to me. Does he need what he bought? I dunnno what need means in this context or any other on the board, but once one starts buying nice bikes and kit it's pretty easy to spend 700 bucks on a wheelset, even if I've never done so myself. For 1200 you can get aero and carbon and you want that or you don't, but I don't think Sandy bought that.

znfdl
11-01-2007, 11:43 AM
What does a $1,200 wheelset have that a $600 set of DuraAce/Open Pro wheels wouldn't?

Bling.

Acotts
11-01-2007, 11:50 AM

JG

I emailed the discussion on how many wheelsets is too many to my Finacee ( i think the answer was around 15 :D ) in order to help explain my pathos.

Like the many fine cyclist before you...you are paving the way for young bikers everywhere to justify 5k custom steel bikes to their partners.

Cheers to you all!!!
:beer:

Love,
Andrew

sg8357
11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
I keep cycling cheap by avoiding carbon, Ti and old French merde.
And unlike boats or airplanes I can play with my toys several times
a week, which makes cycling a good value.

How often do you get your Porsche to vmax compared to your bike ?

Scott G.

Sandy
11-01-2007, 12:17 PM
What were they and how much do you want for them. I suspect I could get many happy miles out of your wore out Wheels.

That is the ONLY way I can afford to ride anything different than what I have.

My wife has been super supportive of my cycle related spending in the past but it has gotten to a point where I had to stop.

Strange enough, it has not been as hard as I thought it would be.

I had two Shimano 10 wheelsets- one with a Tune rear hub, and an American Classic front hub. The second was with Dura-Ace 7800 10 hubs. The rear wheels wore out to the point of not being safely useable. I took the hubs out of both rear wheels. I used the rear Tune hub, and the Dura-Ace front hub to make my existing set. That leaves one wheel- front with American Classic hub and one hub- Dura-Ace rear. The front wheel is not in great shape because of rim rear. If you really could use them, I will have them built into a new set of wheels for you and send them to you- using Mavic Open Pro rims or something similar. Just let me know. They are Shimano 10 compatible. No cost to you as long as you can and will use them.

Sandy

Sandy
11-01-2007, 12:33 PM

You misread my post. I used the rear Tune hub and the Dura-Ace front hub and had a wheelset built for $300 total. I am using that now and will use that in the bad weather and with a trainer that I am going to purchase. I then bought two new wheelsets for an average cost of $750 for the two sets. One was expensive as I used Tune hubs for that set. In addition, the two cassettes cost $256, so the average cost was $128 not $180. One of the wheelsets was similar to what you mentioned- Dura-Ace 10- $600 approximately. The other used Tune hubs.

Sandy

barry1021
11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
$475 for one round of golf at Pebble Beach. Plus cart. Plus room. It's all relative.
Jimcav, I am taking the "over" on you getting down to three bikes!!

I have eight bikes/frames. Far less invested than what I have in my 2000 Toyota pickup, maybe 16k total. And I have a Serotta, a Strong, a Moots, and three merckxes. You spend what you wanna spend.

And I am down 40 lbs in four years. Priceless!

b21

Sandy
11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure but I think you've misread him. I think Sandy was saying that he's ordered a nice wheelset from ergott and another nice one from jp and that he's got a 300 buck set for rain/trainer/hairshirt days. I'm not sure, but that's how it seems to me. Does he need what he bought? I dunnno what need means in this context or any other on the board, but once one starts buying nice bikes and kit it's pretty easy to spend 700 bucks on a wheelset, even if I've never done so myself. For 1200 you can get aero and carbon and you want that or you don't, but I don't think Sandy bought that.

You, my bright friend, are correct in everything that you stated here.

Sandy

deechee
11-01-2007, 12:46 PM
For me, its about getting carried away. I'm completely satisfied with my CIII.

Unfortunately, what started as a commuter bike search for my gf has turned into a whole new bike which is now nicer than her current bike. I didn't want her riding crap. Found a deal on a 10sp, got a wheelset built up, next thing I know I buy a new fork and now I'm looking for a King headset because she's never had one... oh it never ends...

gt6267a
11-01-2007, 01:00 PM
For me, its about getting carried away. I'm completely satisfied with my CIII.

Unfortunately, what started as a commuter bike search for my gf has turned into a whole new bike which is now nicer than her current bike. I didn't want her riding crap. Found a deal on a 10sp, got a wheelset built up, next thing I know I buy a new fork and now I'm looking for a King headset because she's never had one... oh it never ends...

upgrade-itis ... i'm familiar with this disease. its part of why we are here. to learn and live vicariously through other people's itis which on some plane expands the reach of our own.

DukeHorn
11-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Well, if you live in the Bay Area or LA, you can get plenty of good bikes as "hand me downs" from the folks that love collecting bikes or from well meaning grad students who buy too much bike.

I have a 95 Merlin with full Dura Ace ($850).
A 99 Rocky Mountain Element TO with full XTR ($750).
A Cannondale R400 Triple (<100 miles) ($150).

I spent just a bit more on the above than a friend who bought a brand new Specialized Allez Comp.

Bought them all from the original owners with receipts (so not too worried about buying "stolen" goods).

got a pair of Time RXS Ti pedals off of craigslist with two pair of cleats ($100) from a very nice gentlemen living in a 4 million+ dolllar home with the priciest set of bikes I've ever seen.

It's actually sort of fun trying to get biking gear on the "relatively" cheap.

pedalcr8z
11-01-2007, 03:58 PM
I rode a Merlin Road for over 12 years.......replaced it 3 weeks ago with a Ottrot ST.....(WOW!!)........the Merlin amortized over 12 years was less than $400.00 a year so Sandy it's not as bad as you think..........HOWEVER since retiring from the hi-fi industry in June for 35 years and now working at a high end bicycle shop I'm like a little kid in a candy store (hence the Ottrott.....it's expensive for me now in the "gotta have that accessory" area EVEN AT MY SPECIAL PRICING!! :crap:

Peter P.
11-01-2007, 04:22 PM
I wish my income equalled the money some of you spend on bikes!

In 2004 I started keeping track of my cycling expenses. Every patch kit, tube, tire, handlebar tape, etc., using Quicken. I even broke it down by bike; I have three, plus a category labelled "Other" for stuff not related to any specific bike such as clothing and tools.

To date, I've spent 4700 bucks. My largest expenses were an Ultegra group in 2004 ($600) to replace a worn out 7 speed downtube shifter group, and last December, when I bought a TruTrainer ($1k).

I don't have spending problems, but even looking at that $4700 number over the course of three years has me wondering where the money went, even though I can document every dime.

And keeping track of the expenses does keep me frugal.

cadence231
11-01-2007, 04:26 PM
It's not just the kit that is expensive in my pursuit...it's the grocery bills.

cp41302
11-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Anyone know the best place to figure out what I should expect to get for my used Serotta.
I've had it almost 4 years. Its been one of the great joys of my life, so its hard to come to terms with the bath I'm going to take when we part ways.
Candy apple red Legend ST w/record 10. F2 fork compact goemetry, with campy neutron wheels.
Any clues? Anyone?

Ken Robb
11-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Anyone know the best place to figure out what I should expect to get for my used Serotta.
I've had it almost 4 years. Its been one of the great joys of my life, so its hard to come to terms with the bath I'm going to take when we part ways.
Candy apple red Legend ST w/record 10. F2 fork compact goemetry, with campy neutron wheels.
Any clues? Anyone?
$3000?

Ozz
11-01-2007, 05:29 PM
The closer your bike is to a "stock" geometry, and a center-of-the-bell-curve size will get you closer to the $3000 number....weird custom and really big or really small depreciates the price dramatically....

Does anyone know what that 70cm Serotta went for on ebay? I'm guessing not much as the only bid I saw was $100.....

Cycling is only expensive if you compare it to doing nothing......and even that is expensive to your health.

csm
11-01-2007, 05:44 PM
sandy, I agree. NObody needs dura ace. or should even have it.
however, we NEED campy.

CaptStash
11-01-2007, 06:04 PM
While I am relatively new to cycling, I have been a competitive rower for over 25 years. Maybe that is why I view cycling as a relatively inexpensive sport.

With rowing, a good (not great single) runs at least $5,000, carbon fiber oars are another $500 give or take and then you get to pay lots and lots to be a member of a rowing club and pay storage for your boat.

With cycling, you can get into a LOT of bike for $3 to $4 thousand. Add another $500 for an assortment of accessories (and that is generous) and you are good to go.

Then there's golf, have you priced a Callaway driver recently?

I suppose running is cheaper, if you enjoy that and your body puts up with it. But even then you're probably looking at $500 to $600 a year in running shoes.

Join a gym instead? Add it up, after just a couple years, the price of a really good bike starts to look pretty good.

Nahhh, cycling isn't that expensive, not when you caompare it to most other ways there are to stay fit, get outside and have some fun.

CaptStash....

Dave B
11-01-2007, 06:25 PM
however, we NEED campy.

That my friend is a wonderful statement.

You made my night.

weisan
11-01-2007, 06:52 PM
This is true.

These are all used.

Serotta Legend Ti
Serotta Hors Categorie
Serotta Atlanta
LOOK KG 281 Carbon
Cannondale R4000Si
Ritchey Road Logic
Schwinn Paramount 50th Anniversary Special Edition
Redline Conquest Pro
Surly Cross Check
Italian lugged steel SLX

Total: roughly about $6,500

Think different.

Fixed
11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
It's not just the kit that is expensive in my pursuit...it's the grocery bills.
pod imho
cheers

Ginger
11-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Sandy,
In a way, you're right.

The only really cheap sport is walking barefoot.
Whenever you have to replace all of X at one time, it gives you a wakeup call.

saab2000
11-01-2007, 09:05 PM
One man's trash is another man's treasure....

eBay, my friend, is the answer for the po man.

And being a nice guy on the Serotta forum. I have gotten many a good deal on the classifieds here.

Avispa
11-01-2007, 09:41 PM

Well bikes may be expensive, but how about getting into a $500,000.00 mortgage, which is still the going price of any semi-decent house in South Florida!!!

Me, since I don't feel comfortable getting into that kind of mess; I spend some of my money on fancy bike stuff... ;)

One man's trash is another man's treasure....
eBay, my friend, is the answer for the po man.

But, it's nice to have the Internet and friends in high places! I don't recall ever paying full retail for any bike stuff I've purchased in quite some time.
Sometimes if trash still has the labels and is sealed, it's the best trash you can ever have. I have gotten the greatest deals on the Net! :D :D

..A..

bnewt07
11-02-2007, 01:58 AM
A few random thoughts. Due to a crash my £3500 bike has not yet been replaced so I've been riding my £600 winter one alot. It is usually my crap weather bike, complete with mid range groupset, wheels and cheapo finishing kit.

Cheaper components do not always wear out quicker, in fact some high end stuff is more fragile. Look after your kit and it all lasts pretty well.

My winter bike does not give me just 15 percent of the enjoyment I have from the smart one.

I REALLY miss my smart bike (and I'm replacing it any day) but if I had no money I could get along very well with the other one all year.

So: cycling can be expensive as you want it to be. Tha basic fundamentals are not that expensive and last well. We buy expensive kit because we can, because the bike companies persuade as we ought, and because we get a kick out of owning quality stuff.

Fixed
11-02-2007, 04:46 AM
I REALLY miss my smart bike (and I'm replacing it any day) but if I had no money I could get along very well with the other one all year.
i bet we all could i do anyway
cheers :beer:

Sandy
11-02-2007, 05:42 AM
A strong case could be made that my bike has saved and continues to save my life and my future. Since I started riding seriously this spring – weight down, cholesterol good, blood pressure down, heart scan clean, aerobic capacity up, etc. I just plain feel good.
$5,000 to $6,000 for all that seems a bargain. Part of the hobby or sport of bicycling for me is the tinkering and collecting of good gear. If that helps to keep me engaged and involved then it is part of the bargain for me.

I have a family member who rode a bike long before I did. Did a couple of self supported short tours. Has the same problem I do with fatigue/energy/depression. He stopped exercising- cycling. Did no exercise-cycling- for 15 years. Gained a great deal of weight- Now he is in cardio rehab 3 days per week and can't let his heart rate exceed 105 bpm.

Last December, I stopped cycling for 4 months- did nothing- My weight went to 240 pounds. Changed energy/fatigue/depression med. Dropped to 225. Got upset at a ride when I could not keep up, especially up hills. Resolved to lose weight and improve my cycling. Now I weigh 190 and will reach 185 or less. How did I do that? Discipline and CYCLING. Without cycling, it never would have occurred. I would be at least 225 and probably more.

Cycling is a bargain. We have to decide how we can afford it. Deals on the Serotta forum, e-bay, craigslist,..can go a long way for sure. Even watching sales at local shops, particularly during the off season. Internet company sales too....

Sandy

Sandy
11-02-2007, 05:52 AM
I rode a Merlin Road for over 12 years.......replaced it 3 weeks ago with a Ottrot ST.....(WOW!!)........the Merlin amortized over 12 years was less than $400.00 a year so Sandy it's not as bad as you think..........HOWEVER since retiring from the hi-fi industry in June for 35 years and now working at a high end bicycle shop I'm like a little kid in a candy store (hence the Ottrott.....it's expensive for me now in the "gotta have that accessory" area EVEN AT MY SPECIAL PRICING!! :crap:

You are absolutely correct in analyzing the "cost" of the Merlin Road bike. You kept it 12 years, and enjoyed it 12 years. $400 per year real cost- A soda at 7-11 is about $1.50. One less soda a day and you have money for the bike and tires too.

Sandy

Too Tall
11-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Dogs went nuts last night around 2am. I hustle outside with my good friend Louisville Slugger and to my severe delight find Bambi sorting thru my cycling toss outs. He's giggling and beside himself arranging tubes side by side with "only eighteen very small punctures", STI cables that are "just a bit frayed" and two prizes he clutches close to his heaving chest "Oooooo mostly not eaten hammer bars" woo hooo. I did not have the heart to tell him that I'd already given most of the really good stuff to Smiley ;) Anywho, sorry for smacking you on the left temple with my ball bat, it was a reflex and my hands were cold from standing outside so I had to warm up somehow...you didn't say anything after just lying there so I guess you are ok. Enjoy the parts, cycling is really expensive I agree.

Sandy
11-02-2007, 05:55 AM
I wish my income equalled the money some of you spend on bikes!

In 2004 I started keeping track of my cycling expenses. Every patch kit, tube, tire, handlebar tape, etc., using Quicken. I even broke it down by bike; I have three, plus a category labelled "Other" for stuff not related to any specific bike such as clothing and tools.

To date, I've spent 4700 bucks. My largest expenses were an Ultegra group in 2004 ($600) to replace a worn out 7 speed downtube shifter group, and last December, when I bought a TruTrainer ($1k).

I don't have spending problems, but even looking at that $4700 number over the course of three years has me wondering where the money went, even though I can document every dime.

And keeping track of the expenses does keep me frugal.

If some of us here would do as you do, they would run out of paper and pencils. :) :)

With the brain the size of a pencil point,

Sandy

Sandy
11-02-2007, 05:58 AM
however, we NEED campy.

Obviously you need medication! Lots of it, and very quickly! :) :)

Shimano Sandy

Sandy
11-02-2007, 06:11 AM
Dogs went nuts last night around 2am. I hustle outside with my good friend Louisville Slugger and to my severe delight find Bambi sorting thru my cycling toss outs. He's giggling and beside himself arranging tubes side by side with "only eighteen very small punctures", STI cables that are "just a bit frayed" and two prizes he clutches close to his heaving chest "Oooooo mostly not eaten hammer bars" woo hooo. I did not have the heart to tell him that I'd already given most of the really good stuff to Smiley ;) Anywho, sorry for smacking you on the left temple with my ball bat, it was a reflex and my hands were cold from standing outside so I had to warm up somehow...you didn't say anything after just lying there so I guess you are ok. Enjoy the parts, cycling is really expensive I agree.

How easy it is to fool you. I have a scheme. A master plan. I will do the looking through the trash for your cycling items a few more times. Yes you and that horrific bat will do the job on me. But one day, you will get complacent. Your dogs will get complacent. You will think that it is that Sandy fool again. Too tired to get up this time. Then Slick Sandy will strike- The Spectrum, the Vanilla, the Pegoretti, a Serotta or two,.....

In time I will mend from the beatings you inflicted on me....but you will have those permanent emotional scars from the loss of those bikes, will be in counselling for years, and will be very poor and distressed as you see me rich and happy with my new bikes, purchased with the $25,000,000 award I received in court, for those Louisville Slugger beatings. :)

:banana: Babe Ruth :banana:

Mud
11-02-2007, 06:13 AM
In the past few years we have had a series of expenses that have killed us financially leaving us with very little discretionary income. Trips to ride in Moab, Fruita, Huntington Beach have been traded in for longer hours on the job and reducing what we feel we can do without.

But we each own a nice bike, have Computrainers, and have some TriNewts on the way. Without the cycling there would truly be no life. I know some have posted on this forum things that happen to them, our story is so unbelievable that it would defy credibility. But the 5-6 days a week that we steal some time to ride allows life to go on and we persevere. The parts, new rims, etc. are a very small cost. :)

barry1021
11-02-2007, 06:20 AM
This is true.

These are all used.

Serotta Legend Ti
Serotta Hors Categorie
Serotta Atlanta
LOOK KG 281 Carbon
Cannondale R4000Si
Ritchey Road Logic
Schwinn Paramount 50th Anniversary Special Edition
Redline Conquest Pro
Surly Cross Check
Italian lugged steel SLX

Total: roughly about $6,500

Think different.
is very well done for that fleet, very well done indeed......

b21

keno
11-02-2007, 06:37 AM
1. The thought on one's death bed "I wish I had bought that ___________ I lusted after. Now that dough, compounded, will be going to those people and the government."

2. Investors who only remember the stocks that went up.

3. Rationalizing how we live our lives. We all do exactly what we want to do, no matter how much we deny that sobering fact.

4. Knowing the price of everything and the value of nothing (stolen; cost, zero).

5. Not coming to the Fuhgetaboutit ride from chez keno on Sunday.

I have others but it's time for some tea and a fat carrot muffin at the General Store.

keno

malcolm
11-02-2007, 07:58 AM
To expand on Keno's thought. Two things you never hear from the death bed. I wish I had worked more and I wish I had never experienced/bought/done that.

Sandy
11-02-2007, 08:03 AM
Please see my "Cycling is Inexpensive" thread for an etirely different perspective on the expense of cycling.

Sandy

palincss
11-02-2007, 10:42 AM
You misread my post. I used the rear Tune hub and the Dura-Ace front hub and had a wheelset built for $300 total. I am using that now and will use that in the bad weather and with a trainer that I am going to purchase. I then bought two new wheelsets for an average cost of $750 for the two sets. One was expensive as I used Tune hubs for that set. In addition, the two cassettes cost $256, so the average cost was $128 not $180. One of the wheelsets was similar to what you mentioned- Dura-Ace 10- $600 approximately. The other used Tune hubs.

Evidently I did. Instead of one wheel set for $1200 you got two, plus a third from the re-used hubs -- which puts the price on your wheels right in line with the top quality hand built wheel prices I was comparing to.

Regarding cassette prices: I was quoting Sheldon's online prices as a way of comparing DuraAce against Ultegra. Whatever X is, Ultegra is $X and DuraAce is $2X, and I cannot see what that 2X gets anyone who isn't racing. Any more than I can see what a thousand dollar carbone handlebar/stem combination gets you that anyone who isn't racing could actually use... bling excluded.

shinomaster
11-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Racing cross is expensive. Tires, parts, wheels, entree fees, paying for gas, and buying your G_F breakfast after the race all adds up. :confused:

J.Greene
11-02-2007, 11:28 AM
and buying your G_F breakfast after the race all adds up. :confused:

How much can a 21 yo eat?

JG

shinomaster
11-02-2007, 11:32 AM

JG

Not that much actually....

gt6267a
11-02-2007, 11:44 AM

JG

but once her doctor proscribed the caviar and champagne diet ... things got expensive anyway.

shinomaster
11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
You guys are just jealous. She is almost 25 anyway...

J.Greene
11-02-2007, 11:56 AM
You guys are just jealous. She is almost 25 anyway...

lets call it a healthy envy.

I dated a 25 yo once, but I was 26. Then I married her. She's more fun now. Girls are cool, women rock atmo.

JG

shinomaster
11-02-2007, 12:03 PM
True. My last G_F was my age(32). She had a 10 year old daughter, an ex-husband, over $100,000 in CCard debt, and was in grad school.
Strangely I wasn't good enough for her (I really miss the kid).
It's nice to date someone young and fun and without a cruise ship full of baggage.

gt6267a
11-02-2007, 12:26 PM
True. My last G_F was my age(32). She had a 10 year old daughter, an ex-husband, over $100,000 in CCard debt, and was in grad school.
It's nice to date someone young and fun and without a cruise ship full of baggage.

No doubt everyone has a little, but there are people with enough skeletons in their closet to make everyday October 31st. Amen to finding someone without crazy piles of baggage.

ClutchCargo
11-02-2007, 12:37 PM
As the price of Veloflex tubs approach the cost of car tires I've been feeling this too. To make myself feel better I think of my pals that play lots of golf. 20-50k per year is what they spend on dues, fees, expenses, travel and the beer cart girl.

JG

some guys spend that much each year
on the "beer cart girl" alone ! :hello:

Avispa
11-02-2007, 01:59 PM

Damn Shino.... You dated a woman like that, and you have the audacity to say you don't want to meet me at the Finger Lakes ramble! Shame on you....
:D :D

..A..

shinomaster
11-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Damn Shino.... You dated a woman like that, and you have the audacity to say you don't want to meet me at the Finger Lakes ramble! Shame on you....
:D :D

..A..

She was hot. :banana:

Ozz
11-02-2007, 02:43 PM
She was hot. :banana:
was she the one with the glasses that looked kinda like your mom? ;)

shinomaster
11-02-2007, 03:00 PM
was she the one with the glasses that looked kinda like your mom? ;)

Um...yeah. So.

Ozz
11-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Um...yeah. So.
She was hot.... :D

shinomaster
11-02-2007, 03:31 PM
She was hot.... :D
And she was MP!