PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know these builders?

jmeloy
11-01-2007, 08:03 AM
Thinking about a custom frame and wondering about Vendetta and Engin. A little easier on the wallet than some others for a first timer.... thoughts anyone? Would like to stay around $1800 f/f.
Thanks!
JAM

mjb266
11-01-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm sure they are good but honestly, why wouldn't you save up an extra $5-600 and get a Kirk? Short waiting list compared to many and a track record beyond comparison.

rwsaunders
11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
I'm sure they are good but honestly, why wouldn't you save up an extra $5-600 and get a Kirk? Short waiting list compared to many and a track record beyond comparison.

+1; or a Zank, or a Spectrum...

jmeloy
11-01-2007, 11:02 AM
I could do so but then I always seem to read short forum takes where the wait for a Kirk is WAAAAAAY way longer...... are those just the exception?

rwsaunders
11-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Email the builders and ask. They are a very responsive group. Hell, Dave Kirk took the time to mail a pair of brass head tube adjusters to me a few months back, even locating an obscure brass nut for an old frame. They won't bite...I think.

davyt
11-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Thinking about a custom frame and wondering about Vendetta and Engin. A little easier on the wallet than some others for a first timer.... thoughts anyone? Would like to stay around $1800 f/f.
Thanks!
JAM
Take a look over on frameforum (http://www.frameforum.net/): Conor (Vendetta) and Drew (Engin) both hang out there. Better yet, give 'em a call and hear what they have to say.
--
Davy

SadieKate
11-01-2007, 12:57 PM
I spoke with Drew for quite awhile at the NAHBS. He wanted to listen to me as a potential client and it seemed that he had a lot of design knowledge, not just welding knowledge. His carbon/steel Engin Number 9 is a beautiful bike. In the end, I knew I wanted full Ti, but I sure lust after that Number 9.

hansolo758
11-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Check out this thread (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=32033&highlight=vendetta) for Vendetta. You won't be disappointed.

Pete Serotta
11-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Call Dave and talk with him.......Hopefully you will have the bike a long time.... so what is a few months.

If you need it faster - -How about an HSG or Fierte if you do not need a custom. YEP you know I was going to get a plug in for SEROTTA..... :D Not because I am paid to BUT BECAUSE I truly believe in the product!!!

Once you know your size there are some great finds on the FORUM for SALE section.

Take your time and get what you want. A quick delivery or a cheap price does not always mean a long term joy. :)

I could do so but then I always seem to read short forum takes where the wait for a Kirk is WAAAAAAY way longer...... are those just the exception?

FlaRider
11-01-2007, 03:17 PM
I second the Dave Kirk recommendation. He does absolutely phenomenal work (I'm currently waiting for my third Kirk) and his customer service is probably the best in the industry. Last time I checked, his waiting list was only 6 months. Worth calling DK, I think.

FATBOY
11-01-2007, 08:16 PM
they can do custom steel or alum. in race or tour geometry and still be in your range..about a 12 week wait though...

coylifut
11-01-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks!
JAM

I've seen several Vendettas and they are very nicely finished. I'd buy one if in need.

DarrenCT
11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
I second the Dave Kirk recommendation. He does absolutely phenomenal work (I'm currently waiting for my third Kirk) and his customer service is probably the best in the industry. Last time I checked, his waiting list was only 6 months. Worth calling DK, I think.

+1

dave rules.

i'm also sure zank will be just as "on top of things" once my cross bike is started...

zank
11-02-2007, 12:15 AM
once my cross bike is started...

I guess that settles it. It didn't take much convincing. I knew I could talk you out of a road bike. :cool:

Blue Jays
11-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Tom Kellogg and Jeff Duser at Spectrum Cycles (http://www.Spectrum-Cycles.com) won't bite, but one can't be so sure about Colby. Better bring dog biscuits if you go to The Barn just to be safe! :D

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/images/10/Colby.jpg

jmeloy
11-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Call Dave and talk with him.......Hopefully you will have the bike a long time.... so what is a few months.

If you need it faster - -How about an HSG or Fierte if you do not need a custom. YEP you know I was going to get a plug in for SEROTTA..... :D Not because I am paid to BUT BECAUSE I truly believe in the product!!!

Once you know your size there are some great finds on the FORUM for SALE section.

Take your time and get what you want. A quick delivery or a cheap price does not always mean a long term joy. :)
Pete, great and very balanced comments. I love the Serottas!! I think my struggle is that I am becoming convinced that I am making odd frame/component choices to compensate for old (at least advanced!) age and reduced flexibility and that maybe custom would give me a much improved riding position.

53 y.o. with some neck issues, 6' tall/195 lb/32 inseam but have scaled down to a couple of 55 cm frames, gone to a shorter, upright stem as I can't get comfortable in a lower stretched out position.

Have gotten to the point where I am now uncertain what I should be riding (but still love it!)
-JAM

Pete Serotta
11-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Jam. I am far from an expert but for a 32 inch in seam and non racer a 55cm is too small. Tell us where you live and we can recommend some great fitters.

The stem is only one part of the equation as men on knowledge such as ATMO, DBRK, David Kirk, etc.... can tell you

You have to get comfortable to ride more and the price of the bike is mute if it does not fit you. ALL my friends are 50 plus (and still younger than me) and comfort is key to them wanting to ride and smiling when they do. I have a 31 inch inseam and ride a 57cm c-t-c. That is what folks such as Mike at Cyclesport and Steve/Kelly at SEROTTA have fitted me on.

There are some very good fitters out there. Paul in NYC, LORI in CONN, Mike in NJ among others.

Let us know where you live on stop by RALEIGH and we can work it out. Once you know the proper dimensions than decide on a frame....

Pete, great and very balanced comments. I love the Serottas!! I think my struggle is that I am becoming convinced that I am making odd frame/component choices to compensate for old (at least advanced!) age and reduced flexibility and that maybe custom would give me a much improved riding position.

53 y.o. with some neck issues, 6' tall/195 lb/32 inseam but have scaled down to a couple of 55 cm frames, gone to a shorter, upright stem as I can't get comfortable in a lower stretched out position.

Have gotten to the point where I am now uncertain what I should be riding (but still love it!)
-JAM

e-RICHIE
11-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Jam. I am far from an expert but for a 32 inch in seam and non racer a 44cm is too small.

note - i'd wager he's posting his pants inseam
and that's irrelevant in cycling atmo. if i'm wrong,
wiki this day.

Pete Serotta
11-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I am willing to bet that also - -because that is what I was posting.....YOU are correct as usual!!!! I know nothing about fitting and go to folks that know how to fit and have done it for a l-o-n-g time. Atmo is one of the best and he started when he was a very young man - - HE IS STILL VERY YOUNG, just ask GINGER :D :D

Glass of red and a swizzler for you... :beer:

note - i'd wager he's posting his pants inseam
and that's irrelevant in cycling atmo. if i'm wrong,
wiki this day.

jmeloy
11-02-2007, 12:36 PM
I am willing to bet that also - -because that is what I was posting.....YOU are correct as usual!!!! I know nothing about fitting and go to folks that know how to fit and have done it for a l-o-n-g time. Atmo is one of the best and he started when he was a very young man - - HE IS STILL VERY YOUNG, just ask GINGER :D :D

Glass of red and a swizzler for you... :beer:
thanks guys and you are right... I was giving a quick comment and the better comment is that my "riding inseam" is 33.25. Part of my struggle is that I had a Giant TCR w/ a 57 cm TT and it was just REALLY bad for me. I'm really fine on a 56 cm but still felt like I had too much stem w/ a 120 mm. So I then went to a couple of 55's. Now I am generally comfy in most situations but feel like my hands are way up under me when I get out of the saddle climbing (which I ain't much good at!).
JAM

bozman
11-02-2007, 02:39 PM
JAM,
I would also suggest you consider a steel Strong. He is reasonable and his wait time is 8-12 weeks depending on which material you choose.

From one Deadhead to another. :beer:

jmeloy
11-02-2007, 02:50 PM
JAM,
I would also suggest you consider a steel Strong. He is reasonable and his wait time is 8-12 weeks depending on which material you choose.

From one Deadhead to another. :beer:
I definitely have Strong on my list and have read GREAT things about Carl!
thanks bozman!!!

conorb
11-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks!
JAM

Sorry, but I missed this before. I was "out back" polishing a bunch stainless steel.

Thanks,

Conor

David Kirk
11-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Sorry, but I missed this before. I was "out back" polishing a bunch stainless steel. :cool:

Feel free to contact me: conorb@vendettacycles.com

I like to talk about bikes. :)

Thanks,

Conor

Subtle.

Dave

dirtdigger88
11-03-2007, 03:34 PM
Subtle.

Dave

these are too

http://home.comcast.net/~cinorjer/guill1b.jpg

Jason

William
11-05-2007, 05:58 AM
Zanconato
Vendetta
Kirk
Serotta

All great choices. I would probably approach it in that order....but then there's...

CoMotion
Rock Lobster
Strong
Pacenti

Man! So many good builders out there!! :crap: :D

William

PS: This will muddy the water even more for you...
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=28034

jpw
11-05-2007, 06:14 AM
[QUOTE=Serotta_Pete]Jam. I am far from an expert but for a 32 inch in seam and non racer a 55cm is too small. Tell us where you live and we can recommend some great fitters.

The stem is only one part of the equation as men on knowledge such as ATMO, DBRK, David Kirk, etc.... can tell you

You have to get comfortable to ride more and the price of the bike is mute if it does not fit you. ALL my friends are 50 plus (and still younger than me) and comfort is key to them wanting to ride and smiling when they do. I have a 31 inch inseam and ride a 57cm c-t-c. That is what folks such as Mike at Cyclesport and Steve/Kelly at SEROTTA have fitted me on."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. I got a fit at a Serotta dealer and they measured my inseam at 83.3 cm (32.8 inches) and recommended a seat tube of 54.6 and a top tube of 54.6 and I've previously been riding a 57cm frame c-to-t. I can't figure it at all and it has put me off ordering a new Serotta frame. Any ideas?

J.Greene
11-05-2007, 06:19 AM
I'm suprised no one has mentioned Mike Desalvo. He has been building this season's hottest cyclocross bike atmo.

JG

Pete Serotta
11-05-2007, 07:39 AM
That sounds like a possible disconnect on seat tube length - or they measured you for a sloping Top Tube.

I would ask them about it and if you still do not have a great degree of confidence go see another fitter. Where do you live? I am sure the folks on forum can recommend some good fitters.

Your 57 center to top is probably a different measurement than theirs - for SEROTTA is center to center= so that probably is about 1 cm of the difference depending on type bike you have now and tubing diameter.

a CM is 3/8 of an inch roughly

[QUOTE=Serotta_Pete]Jam. I am far from an expert but for a 32 inch in seam and non racer a 55cm is too small. Tell us where you live and we can recommend some great fitters.

You have to get comfortable to ride more and the price of the bike is mute if it does not fit you. ALL my friends are 50 plus (and still younger than me) and comfort is key to them wanting to ride and smiling when they do. I have a 31 inch inseam and ride a 57cm c-t-c. That is what folks such as Mike at Cyclesport and Steve/Kelly at SEROTTA have fitted me on."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting. I got a fit at a Serotta dealer and they measured my inseam at 83.3 cm (32.8 inches) and recommended a seat tube of 54.6 and a top tube of 54.6 and I've previously been riding a 57cm frame c-to-t. I can't figure it at all and it has put me off ordering a new Serotta frame. Any ideas?