PDA

View Full Version : Best crash ever!!!

Ti Designs
11-01-2007, 05:30 AM
It's November 1st in New England and some guy shows up to a 5:45AM ride in shorts - does that seem weird to anyone else? I mean the shorts part, not the 5:45 bit... Anyway, after the ride there's this little park that I cut thru to get back to my house. It's just starting to get light out, there's a spectacular redish sunrise, there's toilet paper in the trees (just in case) and I'm doing the cyclocross thing on a fixed gear. All of the sudden my front wheel finds this giant hole and it's like there's no bottom to it. It felt like I just rode off the edge of the earth. I do a perfect double gainer over the bars, land on my lower back and almost roll it out back onto my feet. I turn around and my bike is gone. Then this woman who saw the whole thing runs out with a phone and a bucket of trick-or-treat candy. I collected my wits (what little I have left), had a couple little Hershy's bars and tried to figure out what just happend. Last night was Oct. 31st, so some kids dug a grave which explains the huge hole I've never seen before. As I went over my cleats were the last thing to let go, which explains how my bike wound up in a tree. I wasn't hurt and I got to keep the rest of the candy and the bucket.

What did you do this morning?

soulspinner
11-01-2007, 05:39 AM
No phone pics? Seriously glad you werent roughed up worse. Nothing like riding into a grave....I smell movie rights...

BumbleBeeDave
11-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Where's YouTube when we need 'em!

I give you a 9.5!

These ladies liked it, too!

BBD

39cross
11-01-2007, 05:46 AM
The shorts thing seems OK, it's a lot warmer today. Glad you were OK. How 'bout the bike?

Fixed
11-01-2007, 05:58 AM
hows the fix ? bro returned from the grave cheers

Too Tall
11-01-2007, 06:04 AM
That's ok, let them wear shorts w/o knee covering we'll make charming jewelery out of their arthritic knee caps in a few yrs.!

Dewd! Would have spit sustained energy thru my nose to see that wreck...CLASSIC.

Ray
11-01-2007, 06:07 AM
It all sounds plausible except for the part about the gainer - I don't think the physics would allow it unless somehow your feet were shot forward out of the pedals while your head was attached to some sort of rubber band pulling it backwards. A front flip or three, to be sure. But a gainer? I'm having my doubts.

Glad you're ok in any case.

-Ray

Kevan
11-01-2007, 06:09 AM
not hurt...candy...funny....

hardly seems to qualify as a crash.

Strange things bro'. Glad you're okay and had a good laugh.

Bruce K
11-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Was there a Porsche involved somewhere?

Glad to hear you're OK, Ed. No need for caffeine this AM as I am sure that one woke you up BIG TIME.

BK

Erik.Lazdins
11-01-2007, 06:20 AM
Glad your okay - weird stuff happens at night and since its dark you usually find out too late!
- This field I cut through on my pre-dawn rides has a steep runup that I usually speed up to ride up and over. One morning as I hit the runup my light shows an aluminum pole (festivus?) right in my path - I bailed off the bike to avoid hitting the pole at speed. The Jr College had put poles to prevent motorcycles from taking the hill.
Festivus wasn't very cool that morning.

stevep
11-01-2007, 06:25 AM
ive seen him look dead on the bike but not yet actually in a grave.
wish i was there with a shovel...
coulda ended the saga.

note on the bike.
it was wrecked already no more now... mebbe the crash straightened the rear triangle even.

Blue Jays
11-01-2007, 06:41 AM
It sounds like those darn kids weren't following the lessons of the Tread Lightly (http://www.fs.fed.us/) program at all! :D

thwart
11-01-2007, 06:46 AM
Love the bike in the tree part...

Tom
11-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Unless you can (1) post the lady's phone number or (2) post pictures of empty candy wrappers, I don't think we can accept your account as true.

Veritas, dammit! Veritas!

CNY rider
11-01-2007, 06:50 AM
Is Lance swimming in that pool in front of the Olsen twins?

weisan
11-01-2007, 06:59 AM
Read a short essay by Schaeffer "Two Contents Two Realities"

Not as physcially shattering as what you did...but life-changing nevertheless.

Ti-Master from now on also known as The Cat.

ergott
11-01-2007, 07:09 AM
What are you doing riding over graves in the first place???

Nice reading material, thanks.

Keith A
11-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Didn't they teach you to bunny hop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Io5Idv8q-0) those graves? :D

BURCH
11-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Love the bike in the tree part...

+1

I figured it was just in the hole

nicrump
11-01-2007, 07:28 AM
best crash ever

http://www.bbspot.com/Images/News_Features/2005/04/gr_msft_bsod_lg.gif

Ti Designs
11-01-2007, 08:15 AM
wish i was there with a shovel...

At first I thought it was you with the shovel, but it was a pretty big hole and youre lazy. You would have used a land mine...

note on the bike.
it was wrecked already no more now... mebbe the crash straightened the rear triangle even.

I honestly don't think the bike ever hit the ground. When I endo on the mountain bike I go over the bars, hit the ground and start counting 'cause I know the bike can't be far behind. This time the bike just vanished. It was hanging on a branch bu the front of the saddle like someone put it there.

Ya know that Army ad about how they do more by 8:00AM than most people do all day? Well I ate more candy by 7:30AM than most people eat all week. Who needs powerbars when you have a bucket of mini chocolate bars?

davids
11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
If the Commonwealth didn't think you were dead before, they will now. This time, you're literally back from the grave.

I was riding in shorts, too, (& a long-sleeve jersey) Halloween afternoon. No crashes, and no one gave me candy. And the sun doesn't set until about 6:30 here in Cleveland. Of course, sunrise is another story altogether...

Ken Robb
11-01-2007, 05:15 PM
It's November 1st in New England and some guy shows up to a 5:45AM ride in shorts - does that seem weird to anyone else? I mean the shorts part, not the 5:45 bit... Anyway, after the ride there's this little park that I cut thru to get back to my house. It's just starting to get light out, there's a spectacular redish sunrise, there's toilet paper in the trees (just in case) and I'm doing the cyclocross thing on a fixed gear. All of the sudden my front wheel finds this giant hole and it's like there's no bottom to it. It felt like I just rode off the edge of the earth. I do a perfect double gainer over the bars, land on my lower back and almost roll it out back onto my feet. I turn around and my bike is gone. Then this woman who saw the whole thing runs out with a phone and a bucket of trick-or-treat candy. I collected my wits (what little I have left), had a couple little Hershy's bars and tried to figure out what just happend. Last night was Oct. 31st, so some kids dug a grave which explains the huge hole I've never seen before. As I went over my cleats were the last thing to let go, which explains how my bike wound up in a tree. I wasn't hurt and I got to keep the rest of the candy and the bucket.

What did you do this morning?

I watched where I was going---less exciting than your way. :) :beer:

DarrenCT
11-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Who needs powerbars when you have a bucket of mini chocolate bars?

those mini butterfinger's are my favorite. i've had about 20 of those in the past couple weeks.

glad u r ok TiD

-d