PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Models and Colors

bagmite
10-31-2007, 03:59 PM
Have been trying to decide on a new bicycle, had the Serotta fit and have figured out the new model lineup, I think. One thing puzzles me though. Why the limitations on the colors on the GS versus SE? I mean, I can understand the candy apple red and multiple carbon tints since they might be different cost than other colors but why not have all solid colors available on all GS models? It can't cost any more to paint a Ottrott Arancio than Moto Yellow. I've got a stock Fierte in Arancio (like the color) but it appears that I must purchase an SE to get Arancio accents if that is what I want. I can't believe that Serotta is using colors to differentiate the models, since some of the same colors are offered.

I realize that color isn't the biggest issue in buying a bicycle, but these are not low end bicycles and they are "custom". Why limit the paint colors? Thanks for any thoughts.

dauwhe
10-31-2007, 04:06 PM
I thought that paint prices did vary greatly based on color. I know a lot of builders charge more for pearlescent or metallic paints, for example.

Dave

bagmite
10-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Actually I wouldn't argue that. I was trying to describe the "regular" paints, perhaps I wasn't as clear as I should have been. An upcharge wouldn't be an issue anyway, at least to me. As I understand it, the broader paint selection is not available at all unless you purchase the SE.

Pete Serotta
10-31-2007, 05:56 PM
If there is not a color you want check with the dealer so they can call and see what charge would be.

I did not see what frame you were considering, but last year the carbon attack had fewer colors than Meivici.

The gang at SEROTTA is pretty accommodating(yes it sometimes does require an upcharge... :D )

PETE

Have been trying to decide on a new bicycle, had the Serotta fit and have figured out the new model lineup, I think. One thing puzzles me though. Why the limitations on the colors on the GS versus SE? I mean, I can understand the candy apple red and multiple carbon tints since they might be different cost than other colors but why not have all solid colors available on all GS models? It can't cost any more to paint a Ottrott Arancio than Moto Yellow. I've got a stock Fierte in Arancio (like the color) but it appears that I must purchase an SE to get Arancio accents if that is what I want. I can't believe that Serotta is using colors to differentiate the models, since some of the same colors are offered.

I realize that color isn't the biggest issue in buying a bicycle, but these are not low end bicycles and they are "custom". Why limit the paint colors? Thanks for any thoughts.

Brian Smith
10-31-2007, 06:22 PM

I can't speak with full understanding of the pricing of every model and option, but I can at least say that the selection by the buyer of a particular color results in much more than simply a different color going into the paint gun for a while. Some paint colors cost much more from our suppliers, and some require additional preparation work and additional applications to achieve our finishing standards. Part of the lower costs of the stock models has always been due to fewer hours being needed to achieve a complete finishing job. I think the colors that don't require an upcharge correspond closely to those that aren't as finnicky as we are can be in quality control.

bagmite
10-31-2007, 08:27 PM
Fair enough, that's a lot better than not possible which is what the specs on the website might imply. Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now if I could only decide which model...

saab2000
10-31-2007, 08:52 PM
What's your budget?

FWIW, you won't be sorry with a Cd'A. Least expensive (though still very expensive...) model which provides all the performance for a few more ounces of the much spendier models.

Just my opinion. Steel is still very viable and is still affordable.