PDA

View Full Version : Ot. Favorite Grateful Dead Concert?

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Yes, I was and always will be something of a dead head. I love Cornell 1977. Any recommendations for downloads off of Itunes? :rolleyes:

onekgguy
10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
Favorite Dead concert? Any of them I didn't see...sorry but I don't 'get it' when it comes to the 'Dead'. Speaking of blood doping...maybe there's a reason why drugs are in such heavy use at their shows because the music alone won't do it. Sorry...I've been carrying that around a while. :)

Kevin g

paczki
10-31-2007, 02:44 PM
Tha one.. Jerry and ... Aiko Aiko .. and yeah Dark Star ... that one.

(Sorry,it's irresistable. :) I do like Old and in the Way)

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Favorite Dead concert? Any of them I didn't see...sorry but I don't 'get it' when it comes to the 'Dead'. Speaking of blood doping...maybe there's a reason why drugs are in such heavy use at their shows because the music alone won't do it. Sorry...I've been carrying that around a while. :)

Kevin g

Yes there were bad shows. I was asking about the good ones. Do you feel better now?

fstrthnu
10-31-2007, 02:48 PM
Going out on a limb here as I never saw the Dead live but I'm guessing anything from the "Shakedown Street" era would be cool. They were rocking out pretty hard in those days.

:beer:
Justin

Bill Bove
10-31-2007, 02:56 PM
I've been to maybe a hundred or so shows, the one that stands out the mostin my mind was Boston Garden in the early 80's. Bruce Hornsby was sitting in with them that night and just hanging around dropping a line in here and there but going into the pre-break jam the solos rolled around untill they got to Hornsby. He took his solo and tried to pass it off but whoever it wasjust couldn'tkeep it goingso Bruce took it back, this went on for probably 20 minutes untill Bruce just kept hammering on his piano, really working it over, building up to huge crescendo and just standing up and walking away. The crowd went wild. Bruce Hornsby became a god that night.
The shows the nights Bobby Sands and Bob Marley died were special too. The quickest turn around time I've ever seen for them to do a song again, they played "He's Gone" both nights.

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 02:56 PM
I saw them play Shakedown Street in the Boston Garden. :beer:

NicaDog
10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Shinomater,

Have you been to audio archives?

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

There you can find more shows than you have time to listen to, and the ratings provided are pretty accurate. There's also some good commentary on the individual shows.

Enjoy.

Bill Bove
10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Going out on a limb here as I never saw the Dead live but I'm guessing anything from the "Shakedown Street" era would be cool. They were rocking out pretty hard in those days.

:beer:
Justin
Take some of that money you're making selling those beautiful Thompson stems and go down to Newbury Comics and buy "Live In Europe" and "Skull & Roses" There are lot's of good commercially available live shows but many of the best are in tapers hands.

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Shinomater,

Have you been to audio archives?

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

There you can find more shows than you have time to listen to, and the ratings provided are pretty accurate. There's also some good commentary on the individual shows.

Enjoy.

Wow! ATMO that site frucking rawks! Can you actually download the stuff or just listen to it?

ashwa64
10-31-2007, 03:18 PM
their europe '72 tour was badass.

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.archive.org/details/gd73-06-10.sbd.hollister.174.sbeok.shnf

Ray
10-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Shino,

Different eras of the Dead fit different tastes. I started seeing them in '77 up in your neck of the woods. First show was Portland 10/2/77 and was very very good. Next show was Eugene (Mac Court) 1/22/78 and it was LEGENDARY. Get that one for sure. It will live on forever as the 'Close Encounters' show and is widely thought to be the best show of those played after their hiatus in '75. Or at least there were none better.

'77 was probably their most consistent year - no bad shows and mostly very good ones. But they were waaaay in the pocket that year and didn't stretch out anywhere near as much as they did for most of their career. Although they did some pretty monumental jams on Estimated Prophet that were about as rhythmically interesting as anything they ever did. Cornell and the next night 5/9/77 were both great shows of that era and are pretty heavily in circulation. Anything from that spring or fall tour is really hard to go wrong with.

My favorite era was the one-drummer epoch, with late '72 through mid-'74 being the ***** in my book. With one drummer, they could turn on a dime and they were more like a really interesting little jazz quintet during that time. The jams went somewhere, but not quite as far into outer space as they did in the late '60s and 1970 (get 2/14/70 for the best example of that stuff). You almost can't go wrong with a 72-74 show - find any of the ****'s Picks cds from that time period or just download a few shows. Something with a nice long Playin' in the Band - their best jamming vehicle of that time.

There were plenty of good shows in the early '80s, again in '87 when Jerry came back from his first deathbed, and the run that Bill talked about with Hornsby in the fall of '91 was pretty good for their late stuff. Nothing after '92 is worth the electrons unless you were there and you need it to scratch your nostalgic itch. They were never as good for my money as they were from '70 through '77. By the end of '78 they were all pretty well wasted and it was starting to show.

You should be able to find most of it online, but if you'd like me to burn you a couple of shows, I'd be happy to do it. Regarding the archive site, you can download the audience source files, but not the ones that came off of the soundboard. There are some GREAT audience recordings for some shows, but pretty bad ones for others. The stuff from the soundboard you can listen to streaming while you're at your computer, but you can't download it.

EDIT: Just went by the archive site and it's changed since my last visit. I'm not sure what you can download and what you can stream from a cursory glance. The remains of the dead have gotten more and more protective of their property rights in the past few years. Trying to sell as much of their music as they can while there's still something of a market for it.

-Ray

Too Tall
10-31-2007, 04:17 PM
1972 RFK Stadium Washington DC . Not too shabby.

Bill, ever run into a guy named Orin who sported a little glass eye dropper? Curious.

yarg
10-31-2007, 04:27 PM
ditto what Ray said.

one of my personal favorites - 1975 Great American Music Hall

chrisroph
10-31-2007, 04:35 PM
kezar stadium about 73. I have it on tape, it is one of the greats.

first saw them in long beach with pigpen still hanging in in about 71. saw a lot of great shows in the 70's in california.

a memorable one was the new years show when they did an acoustic set in the oakland auditorium, can't remember the year.

saw then in 83 in eugene, not a very good show. last one i saw was portland meadows a bit before jerry left us, the band was a shadow of itself but still enjoyable.

Blue Jays
10-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Too busy rocking to Judas Priest all these years to pay attention to Grateful Dead stuff. Enjoy! :beer:

onekgguy
10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Yes there were bad shows. I was asking about the good ones. Do you feel better now?

I do...thanks for the opportunity. I think it's the repetition in their songs which causes me to lose interest if you know what I mean but to each their own. Rock on!

Kevin g

grateful
10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
nuff said!

Your_Friend!
10-31-2007, 04:53 PM
Grateful!

Do You Know Why

They Were Looking

For Madonna?

I Have Always Wondered!

Love,
Y_F!

TMB
10-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm repeating, but you are aware that Sirius now has a Grateful Dead channel.

On Sirius Canada it's 032.

fstrthnu
10-31-2007, 05:05 PM
I do...thanks for the opportunity. I think it's the repetition in their songs which causes me to lose interest if you know what I mean but to each their own. Rock on!

Kevin g

What gets you going (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-is6S_b_g) Kevin?

Ti Designs
10-31-2007, 05:07 PM
My girlfriend is a dead head with the wall of CDs of concerts with the date and location on each one and the bookshelf full of books with stats on how many times they played each song and where. I never understood the desire to know how many times any given song was playing, but then I don't get the need for baseball fans to know stats either. As a piano player I found most of the early stuff to be annoying 'cause piano was mostly fill in and things changed so much from one concert to the next. Bruce came later and his playing just confused me - how can anyone be so fast, so accurate and sneak in so many key and timing changes? He's up there with Keith Emerson in terms of being outstanding musicians whom I would like to slap for being so damn good. Then Barb got me to listen to other artists who played with Jerry - which is a very long list, but it includes Merl Saunders. I think I can wear out an MP3 listening to Merl. He's also damn good, but not in a showing-off sort of way.

davids
10-31-2007, 05:31 PM
The show at Boston Garden that kept almost everyone away from the Pere Ubu show at the Paradise. I got to talk to Dave Thomas and Tony Maimone at the merch table afterwards. We talked about Cleveland, and I bought a T-Shirt. One of the most intimate, satisfying shows I ever saw.

djg21
10-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Take some of that money you're making selling those beautiful Thompson stems and go down to Newbury Comics and buy "Live In Europe" and "Skull & Roses" There are lot's of good commercially available live shows but many of the best are in tapers hands.
IMO, Reckoning is the best live GD that was commercially available until the advent of ****'s Picks series. It is essentially the Dead "unplugged." I think that its among the best Dead live recordings avialable from any source. It just has been re-mastered and re-released as a 2-Disc set with 16 new tracks. http://www.deadnetstore.com/Commerce/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductGuid=800cc0b0-2d06-40c2-abb4-a986e30a79c8&CategoryGuid=a7b282e6-dfd4-42a2-b62b-d33057e65c42

Of all the live shows, the '77 show at Barton Hall, Cornell is one of my favorites. IMO, this period was one of the best for the Dead. ****'s Pick's 29 also contains some fantastic sets from this period.

http://www.deadnetstore.com/Commerce/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductGuid=e20c6d21-dfe9-47b1-bd76-bdb30e85969f&CategoryGuid=a7b282e6-dfd4-42a2-b62b-d33057e65c42

There is not one bad ****'s Picks release!

The Cornell show is freely available on eTree, or FurtherNet, etc.

saab2000
10-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Guess you had to be there....

This question is like asking me what my favorite baked potato was.

To each his/her own. :beer:

paczki
10-31-2007, 07:40 PM
The show at Boston Garden that kept almost everyone away from the Pere Ubu show at the Paradise. I got to talk to Dave Thomas and Tony Maimone at the merch table afterwards. We talked about Cleveland, and I bought a T-Shirt. One of the most intimate, satisfying shows I ever saw.
They were playing Heart of Darkness a few nights ago on the radio and I was reminded how much all the band of the 80s just outright stole from them. AH, Mission of Burma at the Paradise. Gang of Four at the Palladium. PIL at the Channel. The Fall at Danceteria.

Sorry for the thread detour.

jerk
10-31-2007, 07:42 PM

post of the frucking epoch.

jerk

jerk
10-31-2007, 07:43 PM
whatever you're on the dead still suck.

jerk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UF7ywfGmkc

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 07:44 PM
Instead of going to my senior prom I went and saw the Dead play in Buffalo in 1992. It was great. Why waste money on a cheap tux and plastic shoes?
MY favorite tunes are Jerry songs like Eyes, Scarlet/fire, Friend of the Devil, china/rider and the jams in between. There is some terrible music, and songs I once liked but have no use for today but the good stuff is just brilliant and I still love it. It just makes me happy inside. As if the world is filled with gumdrops, prancing unicorns and butterflies. I can't describe it any other way. I never even did a lot of drugs either. :no:
Probably the best trip-out songs are old Dark Star recordings from 1970 and 71. They still just blow my mind. I would give anything to go back in time and seem them play that live when they still could jam.

A few favorite recordings are:
1977 Cornell
1971 Fillmore New Years show. In particular the Alligator jam and Birdsong
1974 Cow Palace Eyes of the World
May 26, 1973 China/rider
Oh wow there are so many. I liked the 70's and the 90's actually. THey played some cool stuff when they had their act together.

After College I gave up the Dead for Jazz. I seriously got into Miles, and Coltrain. I thought I was over my obsession with the music of my youth untill I found and old box of tapes last month :)

jmg1949
10-31-2007, 07:45 PM
I saw them several times in St. Louis in the late 60's and early 70's. Some of the concerts were impromptu with little advanced warning. There was a Poly Sci grad student at Washington University (where I was an undergrad) who was friends with them-I think he'd been a road manager for Country Joe. People would drive through the student neighborhoods with bullhorns announcing "Dead concert in the Quad tonight." I kid you not. Garcia also showed up with the New Riders of the Purple Sage one year and was dispensing something with a medicine dropper onto peoples tongues. :) Also saw them at Woodstock where they were a major disappointment--amp trouble if I recall correctly. Ah, those were the days.

Jim

jerk
10-31-2007, 07:47 PM
tim yohannen is more important to rockn'roll than jerry garcia.

discuss.

jerk

MarleyMon
10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
10/01/76

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 07:48 PM
IMO, Reckoning is the best live GD that was commercially available until the advent of ****'s Picks series. It is essentially the Dead "unplugged." I think that its among the best Dead live recordings avialable from any source. It just has been re-mastered and re-released as a 2-Disc set with 16 new tracks. http://www.deadnetstore.com/Commerce/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductGuid=800cc0b0-2d06-40c2-abb4-a986e30a79c8&CategoryGuid=a7b282e6-dfd4-42a2-b62b-d33057e65c42

Of all the live shows, the '77 show at Barton Hall, Cornell is one of my favorites. IMO, this period was one of the best for the Dead. ****'s Pick's 29 also contains some fantastic sets from this period.

http://www.deadnetstore.com/Commerce/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductGuid=e20c6d21-dfe9-47b1-bd76-bdb30e85969f&CategoryGuid=a7b282e6-dfd4-42a2-b62b-d33057e65c42

There is not one bad ****'s Picks release!

The Cornell show is freely available on eTree, or FurtherNet, etc.

Why cant we say ****? THE China Doll on Reckoning is killer.

rounder
10-31-2007, 07:54 PM
I saw them in Baltimore and in D.C. a few years later with the Allman Brothers. They were a great band. My favorite record of all time is still Working Man's Dead. Love cumberland blues and new speedway boogie.

The whole band was great but Jerry is an icon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvDtWeyO5c

Your_Friend!
10-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Why cant we say ****? THE China Doll on Reckoning is killer.

Shinomaster!

Try Saying It Like This:

D i c k's Picks!

Love,
Y_F!

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 07:57 PM
D
I
C
K
D
I
C
K

wc1934
10-31-2007, 08:17 PM
ditto - the garden

shinomaster
10-31-2007, 08:18 PM
nuff said!

Oh, I loved Donna when she didn't sound like a cat in heat.

rounder
10-31-2007, 08:58 PM
tim yohannen is more important to rockn'roll than jerry garcia.

discuss.

jerk

I don;t know who Tim Yohannen is but to me it's not about who is important but who you like. When it comes to rock and roll, I like (no particular order) -
rolling stones, jj cale, allman bros, grateful dead, bob dylan, chuck berry (!!), buddy holly, elvis (sun years), ec, ZZ Top, lynrd skynrd, yardbirds, lucinda williams and bonnie raitt. I would go watch any of them.

cloudguy
10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
Yes, I was and always will be something of a dead head. I love Cornell 1977. Any recommendations for downloads off of Itunes? :rolleyes:

Check out Hershey, PA '85. If you like Phil Lesh, you'll love this show.
Amazing Morning Dew, my favorite.

djg21
10-31-2007, 09:24 PM
Check out Hershey, PA '85. If you like Phil Lesh, you'll love this show.
Amazing Morning Dew, my favorite.

Just saw Phil last week at Glens Falls. Trey Anastasio and Phil's resident virtuouso Larry Campbell (once of Dylan's road band, and lately with Levon Helm) lit it up. One of the best quasi-dead shows I've seen since the '80s. Great versions of unbroken chain, bird song, ripple, deep elem and wharf rat>dark star>wharf rat, among others. They played from 8:00 sharp until 12:30 AM. Not bad for a 67 year old.

http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/phil/glensfalls/IMG_8614.jpg

http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/phil/glensfalls/IMG_8729.jpg

http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/phil/glensfalls/IMG_8628.jpg

cloudguy
10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=djg21]Just saw Phil last week at Glens Falls. Trey Anastasio and Phil's resident virtuouso Larry Campbell (once of Dylan's road band, and lately with Levon Helm) lit it up. One of the best quasi-dead shows I've seen since the '80s. Great versions of unbroken chain, bird song, ripple, deep elem and wharf rat>dark star>wharf rat, among others. They played from 8:00 sharp until 12:30 AM. Not bad for a 67 year old.

Cool, so was Trey being Jerry? Was it Phishified Dead or something different?

cloudguy
10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Also, check out Boston Garden '77. The most amazing Bertha opener you'll ever find.

davids
10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
THE China Doll on Reckoning is killer.
No. "China Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHe9M8rY5FI)" is killer.

djg21
10-31-2007, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=djg21]Just saw Phil last week at Glens Falls. Trey Anastasio and Phil's resident virtuouso Larry Campbell (once of Dylan's road band, and lately with Levon Helm) lit it up. One of the best quasi-dead shows I've seen since the '80s. Great versions of unbroken chain, bird song, ripple, deep elem and wharf rat>dark star>wharf rat, among others. They played from 8:00 sharp until 12:30 AM. Not bad for a 67 year old.

Cool, so was Trey being Jerry? Was it Phishified Dead or something different?

Trey was being Trey. They just played. Campbell, Jackie Greene and Trey split quitar duties, with Greene also playing a keyboard and a Hammond B3, and Campbell played a bit of pedal steel. I'm not a Phish fan, and I was really impressed!

onekgguy
10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
What gets you going (http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vp-is6S_b_g) Kevin?

You had to ask... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GWHMEOgl-rQ)

Kevin g

cmg
10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
Saw the dead play in houston in 84 at the Summit. Got lost wound up in the tapers section. kick myself for not following them to dallas the next night. always dug the jam band. current fav are the Mermen. favorite dead recordings are the shows with "not fade away/going down the road feeling bad" on them.

RIHans
10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
I think this, the Richard's Picks show in Providence '74...and there is one, well, I was there. ( Looked it up...Vol.12)

Hartford, Binghamton, Albany, Syracuse, Providence, NYC, all kind of run together, ya know. Many shows over the years.

Shino...Richard's Picks. Great sound. Enjoy, as I do, also. It's on the i_Pod for the tempo rides.

http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_****s_Picks.htm

Hans

Sorry, note the ****, deaddisc.com

Ray
11-01-2007, 04:29 AM
whatever you're on the dead still suck.

jerk

Lotta people never liked the Dead. The vast majority of them never saw 'em on a good night. I couldn't stand them before I saw them - got sick of all of my friends playing those stoopid noodly tapes and didn't understand what the fuss was about. Then I saw them - first two shows were bona-fide classics - and I never looked back. Saw many many shows over the years and some were pretty lame, but all of them had at least a few moments that made it worth showing up. But some of them were so great you just couldn't quite believe the energy in the room. I'm still in touch with a bunch of college friends who were at the same early shows that I was. Every damn one of them still likes the Dead. My wife, otoh, saw them twice, neither time was a good show, and she never got past "well, some of it is sort of pleasant country rock". So it goes. I've only met a couple of people over the years who saw them on what I consider to be really good nights who didn't end up at least partially on the bus.

Much as I loved Phil's bass and Bobby's riddim guitar and Bruce's keys (for those couple of years he was with 'em), it was all about Jerry. I went to several of their solo shows and even the regrouped "other ones" and "dead" shows in the first couple of years after Jerry was gone and NONE of them were worth much outside of the context of the Dead. Phil has done some ok stuff since then, but it was the fat man that made it great.

On a good night it was magic. Sorry for anyone who missed it.

-Ray

Ozz
11-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Bob rides.....

I saw them in Eugene (Autzen Stadium) in 1988....fun show...hot as hell....fun road trip except for the black cat. :eek: :( :help:

jmeloy
11-01-2007, 10:58 AM
Kansas City with an really extended version of Franklin's Tower followed by Fire on the Mountain!!

shinomaster
11-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Kansas City with an really extended version of Franklin's Tower followed by Fire on the Mountain!!

what date?

Ray
11-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Bob rides.....

Forgot about that. He has a Spectrum too. Tom claims he's a good climber.

-Ray

CDRB
11-01-2007, 01:11 PM
If you need a fix check out Ratdog. Bobby is still out there having fun. Saw them in Hampton Beach last week, great time. Steve Kimock on guitar is special - not Jerry but close your eyes he'll bring you back.

http://www.ratdog.org/tour/index.php

Acotts
11-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Now, i know that I am too young to be a real dead head...and I by no means claim to be one. But I like some of their music. And as a misguided suburban youth, I really identified with the whole Dead and Phish stuff. Not so much anymore, but i digress.

Any of your guys Check out 3 From The Vault. It is pretty neat. The band is only 5 members strong. No silly girlfriends playing tambourine, cowbell, or back-up vocals. Just the core 5. All songs are between 3-5 minutes long with only one jam going over 11 min. It is their first concert after recording American Beauty and they are super tight. All in all, a pretty unique recording. A little more accessible than many of their other recordings.

Acotts
11-01-2007, 02:01 PM
Did my post just make me look like a total poser??? :confused:

Testify!

Ray
11-01-2007, 02:22 PM
Did my post just make me look like a total poser??? :confused:

Testify!
No man. If you'd said,

"Ohhhh, I just LOVE the Dead - 'Touch of Grey' was a real high point for me!",

THEN you'd be a poser. The Vault series was their first line of band releases before they let D!ck do the D!ck's Picks series. It's good stuff. I've lost track of the releases they're doing because my 500 hours of Dead tapes is down to a couple dozen key shows that were the one's I tended to listen to anyway. So, I don't support the surviving members in their dotage, like they need my help. But every now one of my kid's friends hits me up for information because they've just discovered the Dead and they've heard I'm the resident expert. I don't understand that because they were primarily a live band and I just don't get the appeal without having that experience. But, hey, more power to 'em.

-Ray

BURCH
11-01-2007, 03:04 PM
I was too young for the dead, but I just saw Phil Lesh (sp?) here in Louisville at a small venue. The crowd (mostly college age) was quit entertaining to watch. They all danced in the same swaying manner. It was pretty funny to see from a sober perspective.

davids
11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
They were playing Heart of Darkness a few nights ago on the radio and I was reminded how much all the band of the 80s just outright stole from them. AH, Mission of Burma at the Paradise. Gang of Four at the Palladium. PIL at the Channel. The Fall at Danceteria.

Sorry for the thread detour.
When I saw MoB's "Afternoon Matinee" reunion show (again at the Paradise), their encore was "Heart of Darkness".

I think one of the reasons I've always loved Pere Ubu is their roots in Cleveland. I've been driving back & forth across the city the last few days, and it's easy to see how the industrial wasteland at the center of the city could have nurtured their sound.

http://images.musicclub.it/foto/pe/big/PERE_UBU.1977.tif.big.jpg

"Pere Ubu is mainstream rock. Justin Timberlake is weird experimental music. Robbie Williams is avant-garde. Britney Spears is constantly coming up with something new and innovative. Pere Ubu does the same old thing. "New" is a trap and a scam to dupe student-types and other naive people." - David Thomas

shinomaster
11-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Does anyone know where I could get a 1991 live Ithaca NY Phish concert?

rounder
11-02-2007, 07:25 PM
For anyone who never saw the Grateful Dead and are wondering what you missed (if anything), you should consider checking out The Grateful Dead Movie at your local video store.

PBWrench
11-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Lots. Very many. What was the question? Check out Wolfgang's Vault:

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/Concerts.aspx?stype=performer&stext=grateful+dead

bozman
11-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Lotta people never liked the Dead. The vast majority of them never saw 'em on a good night. I couldn't stand them before I saw them - got sick of all of my friends playing those stoopid noodly tapes and didn't understand what the fuss was about. Then I saw them - first two shows were bona-fide classics - and I never looked back. Saw many many shows over the years and some were pretty lame, but all of them had at least a few moments that made it worth showing up. But some of them were so great you just couldn't quite believe the energy in the room. I'm still in touch with a bunch of college friends who were at the same early shows that I was. Every damn one of them still likes the Dead. My wife, otoh, saw them twice, neither time was a good show, and she never got past "well, some of it is sort of pleasant country rock". So it goes. I've only met a couple of people over the years who saw them on what I consider to be really good nights who didn't end up at least partially on the bus.

Much as I loved Phil's bass and Bobby's riddim guitar and Bruce's keys (for those couple of years he was with 'em), it was all about Jerry. I went to several of their solo shows and even the regrouped "other ones" and "dead" shows in the first couple of years after Jerry was gone and NONE of them were worth much outside of the context of the Dead. Phil has done some ok stuff since then, but it was the fat man that made it great.

On a good night it was magic. Sorry for anyone who missed it.

-Ray

Well said. My favorite show was 7/10/87 at JFK in Philly. Dylan and the Dead. It was my first (98 more GD and 1 JGB were to follow.)

My 100th show was to have been the Deer Creek show that was cancelled due to the riot the night before. Jerry died a few weeks later.

Ozz
11-09-2007, 08:07 AM
sorry to drag up an old thread....but I found these on ebay....thought some dead heads might be interested:

skull & lightning top cap (http://cgi.ebay.com/Skull-Lightning-Headset-Top-Cap-Steal-Your-Face-NEW_W0QQitemZ130171426485QQihZ003QQcategoryZ7295QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

no relation to seller.....