PDA

View Full Version : we're being induced Sunday

Alexi
10-31-2007, 10:07 AM
so the baby just doesn't want to come out. Looks like little Liam-Tomos Dolloff will be induced at 8 am Sunday... I've been told I shouldn't worry, but I do.

jtferraro
10-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi Alexi,

First off, congratulations! We had a baby girl 8+ months ago and my wife also had to be induced. Baby Sofia was 13 days late (and 9lbs., 13oz @birth!) Don't worry - everything will go smoothly and you'll have a beautiful baby boy in just a few short days. :beer:

djg
10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
I wish you both the best with this. There are always particulars -- maybe relevant and maybe not -- from case to case, but induced labor is done for various reasons and hospital practices have lots of experience with it. My wife underwent induced labor with our first (who is now a lovely and healthy 10 year-old girl) and apart from some bad language and the crushing of the hand I offered for comfort, everything went just fine. The kid was a couple of days late, the ultrasound suggested about 10.25 pounds, so they induced.

Numbers two and three came together -- both were breach and both looked large so they did a scheduled c-section.

It's impossible to be calm about your first but that's just how folks are. Hang in there and enjoy the ride.

TimB
10-31-2007, 10:33 AM
good thing you got that Poprad built up, because your time will soon be spent on much More Important projects!

bozman
10-31-2007, 10:34 AM
so the baby just doesn't want to come out. Looks like little Liam-Tomos Dolloff will be induced at 8 am Sunday... I've been told I shouldn't worry, but I do.

how overdue is she?

J.Greene
10-31-2007, 10:47 AM

All 3 of mine were induced for various reasons. In the end it worked well as the hospital won't keep sending you away etc...It may even work out that you'll see most of the good games and she'll be ready to push around the time the 6pm news breaks in.

One piece of advice, if your wife is going to have an epidural, ask for it before she needs it. It usually takes a while to get once ordered.

Another piece of advice, keep focused on your wife's eyes, not the business end. Make sure you're supportive and helpful. Tell her how great she's doing.

Good luck and congratulations!

JG

Alexi
10-31-2007, 10:48 AM
as of today she is 2 days past due...
the ultra sound yesterday said about 8 pounds 11 ounce.

Kevan
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
I think they set the date far enough ahead that it plays mind-trips with the mom. Don't be surprised if events don't happen sooner.

Says a guy who has no right to, nor any certification to support such thoughts.

Have a wonderful time. And please...no tat's on the kid until he's 2.

roman meal
10-31-2007, 10:55 AM
It's all right to worry. It means that you are paying attention. it's part of the process.

I worried a lot about the births of our children, and now my wife and I have two wonderful boys to continue to worry about.

Now I should just worry about stevep's influence on them. They keep asking me about that man at the cross race.

spiderman
10-31-2007, 11:16 AM
i love inductions...
i still use prostaglandin gel
rather than cyctotec
and rarely need to use pitocin...
...probably because i'm older than old school.
relax and enjoy the ride!
i'll pray for a favorable exam, effective labor
and a smooth, comfortable delivery!

ClutchCargo
10-31-2007, 11:22 AM
Due dates are approximate anyway.

What you should worry about is your wife's reading that "we're" being induced. Good luck with your labor pains ! :D

Seriously -- enjoy it all, and best of luck!

BumbleBeeDave
10-31-2007, 11:25 AM

. . . about that new custom kids model Serotta tricycle you have waiting for him?

What? You HAVEN'T even ordered it yet? Well, THAT explains it! :crap: :rolleyes:

Good luck!

BBD

93legendti
10-31-2007, 11:29 AM

2 great kids live here who were induced. After my sister-in law's water broke(both kids) in the middle of the night and she endured 24 hour labor, only to end up with a C-section and my wife's labors were less than 6 hours with less than 30 minutes of hard pushing (less than 10 minuites on the 2nd child!), I can tell you that induced, if it is medically indicated, is the way to go.

Alexi
10-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Now I should just worry about stevep's influence on them.

ahh well I have a lot to worry about my friends and family's influence on him:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2244/1809706128_0ca46f6c86_b.jpg

rwsaunders
10-31-2007, 12:31 PM

2 natural, 1 induced. The natural births were easier because of the surprise element, imho. The induced labor was the more stressful, as you turn in to a clock watcher, and Pitocin is a very powerful drug.

Chill out until showtime, and be prepared to hang in there for your woman.

davids
10-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Alexi,

First, congrats - This is very exciting. Odds are extremely high that every last thing is going to be perfect. And it's possible the tyke will decide on his own to show up before then. But if not, don't worry too much.

And don't focus too much on the birth. That lasts - what? - two days, worst case. It's the next 18 years you need to focus on!

Here's my "wisdom" and a tiny bit of advice - (1) They're absolutely the hardest, and most exhausting, at first. Dealing with babies gets easier with time. Once they start being able to engage in serious arguments, it begins to get harder again... (2) Consistency is essential, and really difficult. But kids do best when they feel safe & secure, and know the rules. It doesn't mean they won't push against them. But they really, really feel safe when they know what they are and can depend on them. The most effed up kids I know are the ones whose parents let them set the terms of engagement...

slowgoing
10-31-2007, 12:38 PM
"We" are being induced? That's a good one.

Congrats.

Kevan
10-31-2007, 12:52 PM
but please....not up against the garage door, if you take my meaning.