PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay pedals

Dave B
10-31-2007, 07:52 AM
I need all insights on these.

What doyou like, dislike?

Anyone heavy that uses them. I know I am too heavy for the ti spindle, but that is not important to me.

Any problems... I have searched stuff, but tend to value opinions here more.

Thanks

CPP
10-31-2007, 07:58 AM
2 sided
light (even steel spindle)
No float (zeros)
Don't notice them when riding

Dislikes:
Nothing comes to mind

J.Greene
10-31-2007, 07:59 AM
I need all insights on these.

What doyou like, dislike?

Anyone heavy that uses them. I know I am too heavy for the ti spindle, but that is not important to me.

Any problems... I have searched stuff, but tend to value opinions here more.

Thanks

I have used frogs and the x series. I found the bearings went bad quick. I also did not do well with the x series cleat. I'm on crank bros for everything now.

JG

junior2189
10-31-2007, 08:01 AM
there will be a new pedal that is all ti
it will be in the zero line
and will sell for 650$
and has carbon cleat
JUNIOR

Volant
10-31-2007, 08:04 AM
I recently bought a pair of X/2's. I only have about 200 miles on them and the free float felt weird at first, but I REALLY like the pedals compared to the Carbon Keos, Dura Ace and Time pedals. I had these recommended to me by a bigger tri-guy who had some serious knee reconstruction. I tore my patellar tendon and needed something with true free float. So far, so good - no knee pain (and I'm no lightweight).
Pedals are like saddles; very subjective, take the jump and try them out. Get them used and give 'em a whirl as prices seem to hold around $80 - $120 for used in great condition (I got mine NIB for $115 - but it took me a while to find a new pair at that price). If you don't like them, you won't be out much when you re-sell them.

toaster
10-31-2007, 08:09 AM
X-2 fan here.

Stainless steel spindle is less money than titanium and doesn't have 185 lbs weight limit.

Uses needle bearing and cartridge bearing, cheaper versions have used a bushing on inboard side.

Easy disassembly and user serviceable. Also available is a rebuild kit with new body, new bearings.

Cleats require cleaning, dry lube application fairly often. Easy to do but an area that some may neglect.

I wish the cleat bottom plate was steel rather than aluminum, it would last longer.

Nventor
10-31-2007, 08:21 AM
PM sent

Ti Designs
10-31-2007, 08:25 AM
Pedals go with your hips, knees and ankles, other opinions based on what works for other people ain't worth much. There are pedals with rotation, either centered or free, there are pedals with float, there are pedal/cleat systems with settable limits, there are pedal cleat systems with lateral adjustment. Which system you use depends on what your body needs. i spend a fair amount of time in fiting people with knee injuries talking them out of Speedplay pedals because there's this common notion that free rotation is "knee friendly". When you get into knee surgery and ligement reattachment points, you see the need for coontrolled, soft limits. When you get into ankle problems and twisted tibias you see the need for more off center stabiulity such as the new Shimano pedals. The one case I tend to sell Speedplay pedals is where there's a leg length discrepency or a serious SI joint alignment issue. When the two sides want to pedal in different circles, or if those circles aren't paralell, free rotation allows the two sides to find balance without adding torque to the knees, hips or ankles. I've never been a big fan of the Speedplay Zero, I've set people up with them to eliminate crank or chainstay strike, but I find the hard stop causes as many problems as it solves.

If you have good alignment and no knee, hip or ankle problems you can use just about anything. I have an old pair of Cinelli death pedals if you're interested...

Oh yeh, don't trust anything you read on the internet.

Bradford
10-31-2007, 08:26 AM
I have 3 pairs of Frogs and a pair of X2s. Love everything about speedplays.

I'm 230 and have no problem with them.

J.Greene
10-31-2007, 08:35 AM

Nah, it's all true.

JG

jimcav
10-31-2007, 09:08 AM
i also now ride keo a bit (one bike). i find with speedplay i needed a carbon soled shoe or i got hot spots.
as a guy that commutes to work, the speedplay is perfect for starting at lights, hills, etc. very easy in and out only my SS bike with eggbeaters is easier.

the downside is you should grease them--which i do (and i have not worn out any of my pedal bearings--but my oldest x3 or x5 now is getting some play)
the only time i clean the cleat is when something gets in them--which is rare--i walk in them, without covers, back in the DC area i used to walk down a set of railroad stairs and some bark to get the capitol crescent trail--daily for 2 months, and not once did i get anything in the cleat where i could not clip in. I basically neglect the cleats--but i imagine if you clean them up the work even better.
as someone said, you can rebuild them--but i have just used grease for 8 years and they still work.
jim

SWorks4me
10-31-2007, 09:10 AM
2 sided
light (even steel spindle)
No float (zeros)
Don't notice them when riding

Dislikes:
Nothing comes to mind

+1

Fixed
10-31-2007, 09:58 AM
walkin sucks in them when they get old they get dangerous
imho cheers

bozman
10-31-2007, 10:09 AM
there will be a new pedal that is all ti
it will be in the zero line
and will sell for 650$
and has carbon cleat
JUNIOR

JR - Do you know if they will have the same 185 lbs weight limit as the other ti version?

I switched to Speedplay X2 three years ago after using a Performance Look knockoff for several years. I like the float and the fact that they are very easy to get in to and out of. I have not had any issues with them. I am 210 lbs.

Dave B
10-31-2007, 10:40 AM
Pedals go with your hips, knees and ankles, other opinions based on what works for other people ain't worth much. There are pedals with rotation, either centered or free, there are pedals with float, there are pedal/cleat systems with settable limits, there are pedal cleat systems with lateral adjustment. Which system you use depends on what your body needs. i spend a fair amount of time in fiting people with knee injuries talking them out of Speedplay pedals because there's this common notion that free rotation is "knee friendly". When you get into knee surgery and ligement reattachment points, you see the need for coontrolled, soft limits. When you get into ankle problems and twisted tibias you see the need for more off center stabiulity such as the new Shimano pedals. The one case I tend to sell Speedplay pedals is where there's a leg length discrepency or a serious SI joint alignment issue. When the two sides want to pedal in different circles, or if those circles aren't paralell, free rotation allows the two sides to find balance without adding torque to the knees, hips or ankles. I've never been a big fan of the Speedplay Zero, I've set people up with them to eliminate crank or chainstay strike, but I find the hard stop causes as many problems as it solves.

If you have good alignment and no knee, hip or ankle problems you can use just about anything. I have an old pair of Cinelli death pedals if you're interested...

When I had my most extensive fitting (by a serotta certified fitter) I was using Look Keo carbons. The fitter put several Lemond wedges on my right cleat as my pedaling circles were not even. My right knee would do a mini figure 8 liek motion at the top of the stroke. At least that is how he explained it. He made no pedal recomendation.

I know I have a goofy right leg length due to too much soccer as a youth and adult. (I think almost an inch shorter, but not exact)

If I am reading correctly you recomend speedplay for people like me (or at least with goofy pedaling circles imbalances) right?

I have never really cared much about pedals and honestly do not now, but these keep catching my eye with regards to how easy they are to get in and out of. Nothing has truly been a nightmare, but with that said, it seems as though either sided entry sounds even easier. Weight is so not important as I would probably lose a pound or 5 on a ride so I do not care about Ti, especially I apparently I would bend them.

Just thoughts really.

kevintice
10-31-2007, 11:07 AM
I use the X2s and Frogs. I like both a lot. (weigh 200lb)

I like the ease of entry, no spring centering float and the fact that they are two sided.

The cleat for the X2 is kinda finicky. The screws can't be too tight, and you have to check them regularly, lest they fall out. I use blue loctite on them, and check every few rides.

I wish the aluminum plate (on the cleat) was stainless steel, so that they wouldn't wear so quickly, but then again, maybe I shouldn't walk in them without covers....

The free float may feel funny for a while, but you'll get used to it. You will use only so much float as you need. And, some people object to the amount that you have to swing your heel out to disengage, but it doesn't bother me.

ymmv

bleusky
10-31-2007, 11:31 AM
Look into carbon sole shoes if you go with the Speedplay pedals. At times a larger person will feel a hot spot with speedplay when using a plastic sole shoe and the carbon will fix this.....

1centaur
10-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Started with Frog, moved to X, now on Zero. I have tried Look and Time pedals on the trainer and never liked their cheap plastic sound or their relative lack of adjustability or their one-sidedness. I've used various shoes and never had hot spots. Like the cornering clearance (psychological), lightness and construction quality. Trying a pedal with truly free float shows you what your leg wants to do; with a Zero you can then decide how much mechanical restriction you would like to impose, one leg at a time.

Only downsides: grit in the cleat (from changing a tire while on a sandy shoulder for example) can make clipping in almost impossible - have to rinse it off; the spring in a Zero cleat recently snapped making it impossible to clip in- 25 miles of 1.5-legged pedaling ensued. Also, the ubiquity of Look drilling makes shoe selection more of a pain, since some shoes require adaptors to fit Speedplay cleats (see the Speedplay site for shoe compatibility); they add weight and affect stack height. I mostly use Rocket 7s with Speedplay drilling but really I have used Specialized, DMT and Sidi within a 7-day period and never noticed a difference in pedaling motion/ease - the stiffness of the sole will count for more in that regard.

Lubing the cleat and the pedal periodically is truly not an issue, any more than is lubing a chain.

thwart
10-31-2007, 12:04 PM
I have Frogs, X-5 and X-2's.

The Frogs were the first clip-in pedal I used after using toe clips for many years.

Quite dramatically, after I started using them my chronic knee problems just went away. Hill work no longer meant large doses of ibuprofen.

I can't recommend them highly enough. BTW, I weigh about 155-160 pounds.

junior2189
10-31-2007, 12:35 PM
JR - Do you know if they will have the same 185 lbs weight limit as the other ti version?

I switched to Speedplay X2 three years ago after using a Performance Look knockoff for several years. I like the float and the fact that they are very easy to get in to and out of. I have not had any issues with them. I am 210 lbs.

YES THERE IS A LIMIT 175LB DUE TO THE CARBON AND TI
JUNIOR

BURCH
10-31-2007, 12:49 PM
I have 3,000 miles on my Speedplay X2's. I am a big guy and I put a lot of torque on the pedals and crank. I have not had any issues with them with the exception that Fixed pointed out...the cleats ARE a pain to walk in. I am not a weight wennie, but the pedals are light (even though the cleats make up for that by being heavier than most).

Some people complain about a slipping feeling when trying to sprint. I have not had any issues with that feeling. When I dig in for a sprint, the pedal to cleat connection stays locked without issue.

dave1215
10-31-2007, 02:09 PM
i had a pair in the '90s which i really enjoyed when i was clipped in and working the crank.

of course, with speedplay, the pedal is on the shoe and the cleat is on the crankarm which makes it difficult to (i) walk more than two steps and (ii) keep the interface free of debris.

if i always clipped in before i left my garage and stayed on the bike until i got back into the garage, i'd get another pair.

Ti Designs
10-31-2007, 05:44 PM
When I had my most extensive fitting (by a serotta certified fitter) I was using Look Keo carbons. The fitter put several Lemond wedges on my right cleat as my pedaling circles were not even. My right knee would do a mini figure 8 liek motion at the top of the stroke. At least that is how he explained it. He made no pedal recomendation.

There's more data there than you think. How was the test done? I have my clients pedal a very small gear first (what I call pedalling air), then shift into a much harder gear and pedal. Pedalling air tells me what they system would do without any outside forces. If the hip points one way or the other the knee will track that way. Without enough force on the pedals pronation or foot deformation never enter the picture. Things change a lot when force is applied. The hip is forced down by the strongest musclse which wrap around the hip, so the basic stance changes. The arch of the foot can change, the foot can change angle... At that point I look at two points of change, the hip and the foot, both move the knee. So now my question is which one was making the knee form a figure 8? Pronation letting the ankle to move inward, taking the knee with it? Hip angle chaning? Foot rotation and tibial torsion? SI joint derangement? There's a lot to look at there. Saying your knee does a figure 8 doesn't narrow it down too much.

david
10-31-2007, 05:57 PM
i use them and i like them.
i use the adjustable float version.
can't remember which one that is.
anyway, i've always had trouble finding just the right cleat position.
the speedplays allow that to happen naturally. my foot just seems to find its way to the right place.
i also notice that i don't float around too much, even with the screws set to allow for max float.
when you first start using them, you do skate around a bit. but after a while, you find your place and the sloppiness goes away.

Dave B
10-31-2007, 06:24 PM
There's more data there than you think. How was the test done? I have my clients pedal a very small gear first (what I call pedalling air), then shift into a much harder gear and pedal. Pedalling air tells me what they system would do without any outside forces. If the hip points one way or the other the knee will track that way. Without enough force on the pedals pronation or foot deformation never enter the picture. Things change a lot when force is applied. The hip is forced down by the strongest musclse which wrap around the hip, so the basic stance changes. The arch of the foot can change, the foot can change angle... At that point I look at two points of change, the hip and the foot, both move the knee. So now my question is which one was making the knee form a figure 8? Pronation letting the ankle to move inward, taking the knee with it? Hip angle chaning? Foot rotation and tibial torsion? SI joint derangement? There's a lot to look at there. Saying your knee does a figure 8 doesn't narrow it down too much.

I remember him saying it had to do with pronation. He said the lemond wedges would act as a cushion to minimize that. Not so much as some sort of orthodic, but how my foot pressed down on the shoe. It was amazing how those made a visual difference.

I have been through three different fittings with three different people, and all of them had their own version of stuff. The serotta fitter had me more upright in my position and used the wedges. Best comfort I have had. Last fitter said lemond wedges were crap and that they were gimmicks. He kept trying to make me look like Boonen. I was wicked uncomfortable and simply gathered my things and bolted.

I imagine the wedges allowed my shoe/cleat to fill up some of the gap a pronating foot may go through, but I also am curious if the speedplay cleat being seemingly taller is going to work wit those wedges.

I suppose I should just go with what worked before. Well, I'll keep researching.

justinf
10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm with CPP and the others, the Zeros are very cool. Highly adjustable, light, nice engagement.

I think walking in the cleats really sucks, but other than that--highly recommended.

rounder
10-31-2007, 07:33 PM
I have X2s on my road bike that I ride mainly and frogs on my mountain bike which doesn't get ridden much. I have been riding the same X2s for over 10 years with no problems and with carbon sole shoes. My observations are I like how long the cleats last (they are over 5 years old and still work ok but a racer might think they are too far gone), two sided entry is nice, and to me they are easy to walk on compared to my old Times. On the other hand, I rode my old bike with Times a few weeks ago, and the wide platform of the Times felt really comfortable but walking around was horrible. Choice of pedals is a personal decision, but I like the speedplays.

jbrainin
10-31-2007, 08:03 PM
I've been using Speedplays since 1993. I am (obviously) very happy with them. I currently am using x/1's. I find walking in them is quite easy provided I put on my cleat covers. (Cleat covers for Speedplay pedals are probably the best $10-12 buy you can make.) For what its worth, I just rode from Santa Barbara, CA to Charleston, SC using my x/1's and the cleats lasted throughout the entire 3200 mile trip.

Regarding recommending Speedplays, I think that pedals are much like saddles and what works for me may--or may not--work for you so I can only suggest you try them for yourself to see.

Jonathan

mgm777
10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
I used X1s for about two years. Liked them, but discovered that that when I got fatigued during a ride, my pedal form on my right leg would deteriorate and cause my heel to strike the chain stay. So, I switched to Zeros. I love them! I've been riding Zeros now for about 3 years and nearly 15K miles with no problems. I have them adjusted with very little float. Here my .02 summary on Zeros:

Pros
1. Double sided - safety factor - it really is quicker to clip in at intersections.
2. Solid engagement - I've never experienced an unintentional release.
3. Adjustable Float
4. I don't have to think about my pedals - they just work

Cons
1. Cleats are $40 - I don't consider $40 (x 2 bikes) a large annual expense(I replace the cleats at the beginning of each season) for a safety critical item - I spend $35-50 for a tire.
2. Cleats are difficult to walk in - I don't walk very much in bike shoes - If I want to walk - I'll put on my running shoes.
3. Cleats foul easily in mud - silly - in three years, my cleats have only fouled once because I was forced to dismount and walk through mud due to road construction

toaster
10-31-2007, 09:54 PM
Of course, the only good solution to the walking on cleats problem is the cleat covers. They are easy to carry and use. I just seem to forget them because most times I'm planning on just riding and getting back home.

Ti Designs
10-31-2007, 10:25 PM
I have been through three different fittings with three different people, and all of them had their own version of stuff. The serotta fitter had me more upright in my position and used the wedges. Best comfort I have had. Last fitter said lemond wedges were crap and that they were gimmicks. He kept trying to make me look like Boonen. I was wicked uncomfortable and simply gathered my things and bolted.

My first question would be are you Tom Boonen? If the answer is no, trying to make you look like him would be a mistake. We hear the same crap here, this pro uses this saddle so it must be good...

It sounds like the Serotta fitter put you within your range of motion, which is the key to a good pedal stroke with comfort. As for the wedges, they can help if used well, but that's not something I can tell over the internet. if you're ever in the Boston area we can take a look at what's going on.

Elefantino
10-31-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm confused.

There are other pedals besides Speedplay?

Why?