PDA

View Full Version : Funny Celebrity

sevencyclist
10-30-2007, 03:03 PM
There are two main types of comedians. One type makes fun of others at other's expense, and second type makes fun of situation that is humorous. I am trying to find comedian in movies or shows that would belong to type two.

Robin Williams and Bill Cosby belong in that category. Any movies by those stars or any other stars you can think of are good for children to see?

swoop
10-30-2007, 03:12 PM
when your kids reach school age their peers exert a greater impact upon their personality than the parents (current researchs suggests this). your work was done at about 3 months (i'm overstating but there is a huge kernal of truthiness in there too)

so.. good luck on that! your best bet is to have good stable structure and boundaries and a stable relationship with your significant other....and your own heathy ability to self soothe.

kids tend to have childish defense mechanism, they act out their feelings as a way to make sense of them or get relief. they also use play to work through internal conflict.

so.. avoid things that trivilalize violence or desesnitize them to it (realizing of course that we have teenagers fighting wars for us and life can be violent).... but understand that aggressive humor is a way for kids to work out their own fears about themselves.

i'd say at about 4th or 5th grade i was deep into mad magazine, cracked, george carlin, and what was the beginning of steve martin. this having come off of childhood of abott and costello, laurel and hardy and the keystone cops as wel as loony tunes (sic) maybe the conversation is with your kids about what they find funny and then maybe normalize the desire to laugh at someone else.. but help them locate it within the anxiety we all carry around about being different or unlovable.

ok.. that's 4 cents worth. trying to edit the world never really works cuz they see more of it than you do.... thank youtube.

atmo.

BumbleBeeDave
10-30-2007, 03:14 PM
. . . because he solidly seems to fall into type two. Any jabs he took on his show at individuals always seemed to be gentle, with the big laughs reserved for the situation.

That's in contrast to people like Don Rickles, who I find very disturbing. his whole schtick is based on insulting people.

BBD

davids
10-30-2007, 03:41 PM
when your kids reach school age their peers exert a greater impact upon their personality than the parents (current researchs suggests this). your work was done at about 3 months (i'm overstating but there is a huge kernal of truthiness in there too)

atmo.
You know I love you, n, but I'm gonna call you on this. All it takes is being a steady, consistent, constant presence in their lives, and you can continue to have remarkable sway over your kids. My 14-year-old daughter cares more about what my wife & I think than what her friends do. And she cares that we like her friends, too.

I think Seinfeld is a great example of type 2, but his themes aren't all that kid-appropriate. I'm not sure who other kid-friendly comedians are - Again, most comedians' audiences aren't exactly children. At least, most funny comedians...

As far as TV/movies, I'd go with the Simpsons, with the caveat that some of them also have age-inappropriate content. And there's a lot of older stuff that's great - Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplin. And any Brad Byrd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Bird) movie...

sevencyclist
10-30-2007, 03:42 PM
. . . because he solidly seems to fall into type two. Any jabs he took on his show at individuals always seemed to be gentle, with the big laughs reserved for the situation.

That's in contrast to people like Don Rickles, who I find very disturbing. his whole schtick is based on insulting people.

BBD
That's what I am looking for. Steve Martin and Jerry Seinfeld are great example of situational rather than insults. I think Steve Martin does have a lot of kids friendly movies. Jerry is not insulting, however the situations are a little more adult based situations. Thanks.

swoop
10-30-2007, 03:49 PM
i'd vote david chappelle. his comedy is a commentary on the world around us and it includes all the racial stereotypes, celebrity worship, dysfunction, and politics as humor... and from what i see a good curious kid will laugh at and be able to engage in the big picture at the same time.

atmo.

soulspinner
10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
You know I love you, n, but I'm gonna call you on this. All it takes is being a steady, consistent, constant presence in their lives, and you can continue to have remarkable sway over your kids. My 14-year-old daughter cares more about what my wife & I think than what her friends do. And she cares that we like her friends, too.

I think Seinfeld is a great example of type 2, but his themes aren't all that kid-appropriate. I'm not sure who other kid-friendly comedians are - Again, most comedians' audiences aren't exactly children. At least, most funny comedians...

As far as TV/movies, I'd go with the Simpsons, with the caveat that some of them also have age-inappropriate content. And there's a lot of older stuff that's great - Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplin. And any Brad Byrd (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Bird) movie...

Despite yor bike habit, you sir have done a good job parenting, keep it up. :beer:

Bill Bove
10-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Bill Murray :beer:

When Harry Carey was out sick they had a series of celeb stand ins, Bill Murray calling a Cubs game was one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

John Belushi could split your gut just by raising an eyebrow...

sailorboy
10-30-2007, 06:22 PM
What about Ali G? RESPEKT YO!!!

big shanty
10-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Jim Gaffigan - Beyond The Pale DVD....a modern classic.

DarrenCT
10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
Seinfeld.

check this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkez7JMeB9g

manet
10-30-2007, 07:37 PM
seinfield makes me wanna go to the dentist

Grant McLean
10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
seinfield makes me wanna go to the dentist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APTBYQWsnrA

-g

Louis
10-30-2007, 11:21 PM
Lenny Bruce - sure to cheer up the little ones...

Blue Jays
10-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Reruns of either The Andy Griffith Show or Mayberry R.F.D. are innocently hilarious. Don Knotts and his facial expressions alone are too much to not bust out laughing.

RIHans
10-30-2007, 11:58 PM
...Regarding parental vs. fellow student influence.

Is there a differance socially? Economicaly?

It would seem to me the better educated parents would have, perhaps, more input, and maybe more influence in the childs decisions...Rather than their peers.

Wondering if better educated adults, make better choices for the kids. What does the data say...Feel free to add personal input.

Thanks Doc!
Hans

vaxn8r
10-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Peter Sellers, Pink Panther.

Rowan Atkinson, Johnny English.

Mike Meyers, Austin Powers. Depending on age appropriate.

Will Ferrel, Elf.

Jack Black, School of Rock. Nacho Libre.

Bill Murray, What about Bob, Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters.

andy mac
10-31-2007, 01:32 AM
from memory seinfeld's book was pretty funny and kid friendly.

'blades of glory' is a funny recent movie. airplane, even frasier, monty python, austin powers...

mr bean is pretty funny too.

aj4e
10-31-2007, 08:53 AM
One of my favorite funny, kid-friendly movies that I enjoyed as a child and still now as an adult is Mrs. Doubtfire featuring Robin Williams.

Tom
10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Way funnier than Charlie Chaplin, in my opinion.

These days, Lewis Black is the absolute master of making the unfunny howlingly hilarious. See his bit on the Constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. I was laughing so hard I couldn't see, which wasn't good because I was driving to work at the time. Not kid friendly, though, unless your kids swear like I did when I was five.