PDA

View Full Version : dirty air: to ride or not?

Ken Robb
10-30-2007, 11:41 AM
The news reports that the fires in SD have produced lots of airborne particles less than 2.5 microns in size. These get through all but the most sophistcated filters and the paper masks that are common are ineffective except for catching large bits of ash.

The experts say these particles will certainly cause short term problems like coughing, shortness of breath, sore throat, burning eyes, etc. and they recommend staying inside and exerting oneself as little as possible. They have no definitive proof yet but strongly suspect long-term, possibly permanent, lung damage from deeply inhaling these tiny particles. It's not just tree and other vegetable ash but all kinds of plastics, etc. from burning homes, furniture and cars.

Fine, but over the weekend the roads were alive with the usual riders hammering along in pacelines and grinding up the hills. It was busier than usual along the coast because I don't think anyone was dumb enough to ride through the ashes.

Due to our recent trip to Minneapolis and the fires I haven't been on a bike for over 2 weeks and I'm eager to get some exercise but I'm not riding until the air clears. It looks pretty good now but the experts say that's a delusion. The big pieces have settled but the <2.5 micron stuff is still present.

Any experts here with opinions? Are the riders who couldn't wait for fear of losing fitness really doing themselves a disservice and compromising future health and performance?

jeffg
10-30-2007, 12:15 PM
but I'd ride my trainer if it (and the house) were still intact ...
I am glad my mom came back up here to visit for my son's birthday. We'll go hiking ...

Kevan
10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
for which I don't get paid...

I'd wait either a couple weeks or until you folks get a solid rainstorm to settle things. Otherwise, get the Londoner's choice of masks, tho they mostly fail: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/latest_news/109656.stm

Please rectify this problem before I get out there.

fiamme red
10-30-2007, 01:05 PM
Get a face mask, the kind that people use who suffer from dust or pollen allergies.

David Kirk
10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
Here is a guideline that uses visibility to gauge just how bad the air is. We've used this a good bit over the past few summers.

Dave

http://www.deq.mt.gov/FireUpdates/VisibilityRanges.asp

vaxn8r
10-30-2007, 01:37 PM
I was riding out to Sisters, Oregon last month and there had been a fire I wasn't aware of. My throat hurt, and was dry and itchy, my eyes were burning, I was coughing. I don't think it was a good thing at all.

If I had a choice I'd do something else for the time being.

CSI Man
10-30-2007, 01:40 PM
I too live and ride in the San Diego area. I wore a mask that traps particles all last week while riding to work. It does tend to restrict your breathing a bit as well. But it was better than not riding.

This week the air has cleared up considerably. You can check the air quality at San Diego Air Quility (http://www.sdapcd.org/air/forecasts/otoday.html)

CSI Man

slowgoing
10-30-2007, 01:46 PM
I was at a baseball tournament in San Clemente over the weekend. The air smelled and looked fine but a few kids got headaches and became sick to their stomachs. One kid with asthma had an attack. If the air is bad enough to do that, who is to say there is no danger long term?

I agree with waiting about a week (not till it rains, that might take forever!).

Fixed
10-30-2007, 01:47 PM
go for it bro a pac of smokes won't kill yeah today
cheers imho

bcm119
10-30-2007, 02:06 PM
I've ridden after fires down there and it made me cough for about a week. Sometimes my lungs would actually be sore. Not a good idea.

MarcusPless
10-30-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm in San Diego and did a fairly relaxed 35 mile group ride Saturday morning; haven't heard any complaints from anyone. I also rode 30 miles yesterday and again this morning without any problems. The air seems pretty decent to me (all things considered); it certainly seems a lot better than it was after the Cedar fire.

--Marcus

stevep
10-30-2007, 02:17 PM
my opinion.
better to take the time off.
with lousy air ( we have very little here ) it takes much longer to recover from a ride and likely is more harm than good.

make believe its a few days of rain and take a little rest.

swoop
10-30-2007, 02:36 PM
take a few extra days off. the particles that can hurt you are smaller than what paper mask can filter out.... and its just not worth any long term ill effects from having stuff in the lining of your lungs that you can't get rid of.
you're not going to lose fitness by missing a week of base.

if you do ride... stay in zone 1/2. don't do anything that requires an open mouth. breathe through your nose. just take it easy... it will blow out in the next few.... it drizzled the other day up her in LA and its like night and day....

atmo.

znfdl
10-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Ken:

Is the desert east you nice this time of year?

PBWrench
10-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Focus on fast driving for a week or two instead!

DukeHorn
10-30-2007, 05:04 PM
It's the winter. I'd take the hit to your fitness rather than take the risk of compromising your future health.

What's the old adage about "just because everyone else is doing it"?

I'm heading down to SD for a wedding this weekend. Was going to bring the Merlin down, but I think I'm going to pass and just drink a lot.

Fixed
10-30-2007, 05:08 PM
bro just dress for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_XY-C9M1Cw
cheers