PDA

View Full Version : Single Speed Cross Frame?

Frog Hair
10-30-2007, 09:38 AM
I've got an old cross bike that I turned into a single. Basic hack job with an old derailer for chain tension with matching hack cassette-to-single gear job.

Now I want to do a proper single cross bike. Funny thing is that I realized I have no idea where to start for a frame. Who makes a stock single cross frame? I've looked at the races, and I see a lot of custom or some kind of hack job like mine. I'm not willing to pay custom for this ride. Not yet at least.

Any recommendations would be great.

hansolo758
10-30-2007, 09:59 AM
Specialized Tricross, Bianchi San Jose are both available as singles. Also try IRO and On-One.

Alexi
10-30-2007, 10:02 AM
I've had an iro, it was an awsome bike but I treated it like a mountain bike.

Spot also makes single speed cross bikes and kelly did. You can still find a lot of kelly stuff on evil bay

coylifut
10-30-2007, 10:18 AM
I've had an iro, it was an awsome bike but I treated it like a mountain bike.

Spot also makes single speed cross bikes and kelly did. You can still find a lot of kelly stuff on evil bay

I heard Kelly is coming back...I have a Knobby X, great SSer

NicaDog
10-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Spot makes a nice SS Cross frame

http://www.spotbikes.com/frames/

Used to be from Canada, now from Lovely Colorado!

weatherman
10-30-2007, 12:08 PM
I've got an old cross bike that I turned into a single. Basic hack job with an old derailer for chain tension with matching hack cassette-to-single gear job.

Now I want to do a proper single cross bike. Funny thing is that I realized I have no idea where to start for a frame. Who makes a stock single cross frame? I've looked at the races, and I see a lot of custom or some kind of hack job like mine. I'm not willing to pay custom for this ride. Not yet at least.

Any recommendations would be great.

Why limit yourself--build up a White Industries Eno rear hub based wheel and use any cross frame of your choice out there without regard for what kind of dropouts it may have! I ran one on a Gunnar Crosshairs last year and a Moots PsychloX this year--works like a charm and it is a good looking, well built hub!

regularguy412
10-30-2007, 12:12 PM
I just ordered a Soma Delancey with the new geometry. This iteration is more road-friendly than the previous one, and definitely more road-able than the Rush ( which is more of a true track frame ). It's not yet in my posession, but the geometry measures up well to my CSI geo. Frame and fork are reasonably priced around $650 - $700, depending on where you purchase.

http://www.somafab.com

Mike in AR

Frog Hair
10-30-2007, 12:30 PM
Why limit yourself--build up a White Industries Eno rear hub based wheel and use any cross frame of your choice out there without regard for what kind of dropouts it may have! I ran one on a Gunnar Crosshairs last year and a Moots PsychloX this year--works like a charm and it is a good looking, well built hub!

Does it still require using a chain tensioner?

weatherman
10-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Does it still require using a chain tensioner?

Absolutely not--the rear hub acts like an eccentric BB and allows you to create chain tension using the hub adjustment. Do a search in this forum and you will see some writeups/comments on the hub.

It has performed flawlessly for me in hundreds of miles of road and cross use. A great option in my opinion.

Frog Hair
10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Specialized Tricross, Bianchi San Jose are both available as singles. Also try IRO and On-One.

Do you have a link for On-One? I did the google but did not seem to come up with what I'm looking for.

SadieKate
10-30-2007, 05:20 PM
http://www.on-one.co.uk/index.php

PBWrench
10-30-2007, 05:21 PM
+1 to Eno hub. I have one on a Seven Tsunami cyclocross. Love it.

vaxn8r
10-31-2007, 12:18 AM
This comes as a SS/fixie built up with decent components for $700-$800 complete. They also have a frameset but it's not a fixie and it's $1,200. Complete with eyelets for racks and fenders if that's your thing.

crossjunkee
10-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Spot makes a nice SS Cross frame

http://www.spotbikes.com/frames/

Used to be from Canada, now from Lovely Colorado!

Good stuff from these guys!

The off the shelf Specialized is cool too.