PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Rant-Annoyed

Mud
10-29-2007, 05:48 AM
I realized Garmin's Motion Based service is free since I have no need for the bells and whistles offered by the paid service, but at least the website should work. Previously I waited 5 days for my rides to load and now I am waiting three more for the last three rides. :crap:

It is not a big deal since we prefer the Topofusion site anyway but the Garmin site offers a couple of snippets that the others do not.

I guess I should not get bent out of shape. The weather has turned cold here in North Jersey and our riding will be done on the Computrainers since it is really cold by 5:30PM when we can ride outdoors. The GPS does not work on the Computrainer. (Joke!).

I am curious if anyone has gotten their hands on the new Garmin and has it tied into a PowerTap. I have no interest for myself but would like a report if available.

onekgguy
10-29-2007, 09:39 AM
They've been experiencing server problems the past two weeks. I think it's more a matter of not being able to keep up with demand. I haven't had the problems you're referring to. I've ridden consistently the past week and all 6 uploads went through without delay.

I haven't used Topofusion. Aside from server issues at MB, what are the differences between the two?

Kevin g

Mud
10-29-2007, 10:30 AM
It is really neat. We ride through a couple of large parking lots where I can do figure 8's and circles and be a little kid again. It all shows up on the GPS. Try the site. I was impressed and bought the program.

ClutchCargo
10-29-2007, 10:39 AM
does anyone know if either of those sites works with an Apple Mac system, as opposed to a PC? I received a Garmin 305 as a gift and it seems that the software on their site works only with a PC. thanks in advance.

as an aside, my experience with the unit so far has been good, but I wish you could configure the display so that it has four equally sized windows (don't want to have to bring reading glasses with me on a ride!) and I wish you could display HR as a % of max. oh, and this is really pretty silly -- one of those things you just get used to having once you've had it -- but with all the bells and whistles, why is there no thermometer? (yeah, nobody really needs one on a bike computer, but you probably have the Garmin because you're a data freak, right? and, you know, before cars were power everything, I used to be ok with cranking down the windows, too ! :) )

rahill
10-29-2007, 11:24 AM
does anyone know if either of those sites works with an Apple Mac system, as opposed to a PC? I received a Garmin 305 as a gift and it seems that the software on their site works only with a PC. thanks in advance.

Try Ascent from Montebello Software (http://www.montebellosoftware.com/) -- seems like a pretty slick Mac program.

Ti Designs
10-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't do electronics on my bike, but I did get a pair of free socks from Garmin at the vegas show. Oddly enough one of them got lost...

ClutchCargo
10-29-2007, 01:38 PM
Try Ascent from Montebello Software (http://www.montebellosoftware.com/) -- seems like a pretty slick Mac program.

thanks, I'll check it out!

malcolm
10-29-2007, 03:16 PM
Clutch, motion based works fairly well on my mac, you have to open with safari however. I've been using it for a couple of years with no problem. I haven't tried in a while, but it initially would not work if I tried to go to the site with firefox so I've been usng safari, and no problem.

Mud
10-30-2007, 06:29 AM
and my 3 rides are still in the in box waiting to be processed. At some point TopoFusion will have HR . I assume that those who membership is paid on Garmin get priority on DLing. It is not a big deal, just really annoying.

Last night was a Computrainer night. I checked my spin and it is awful. I have been favoring my left fott because of some arthritis aches and it shows up on the display. My wife turns hers on and it is a perfect circle. Some have talent and I don't. However I won by 3/100 sec breaking a long, long losing streak. :banana:

Ti-Boy
10-30-2007, 10:19 AM
I rode yesterday and my ride was processed immediately. Same for Sunday's ride. Perhaps you should upgrade to the new 705?

Orin
10-30-2007, 10:47 AM
It was a bit slow loading yesterday, but my ride loaded just fine. I'd say delete the rides and try again... if it lets you do that.

Orin.

Mud
10-30-2007, 11:45 AM
and tried to load it, still on hold. I don't care. The last time it took a week. Why would I want the 705. That is the one that ties to the PowerTap I believe. Just another toy to tell me I am inept, although I got to 400 watts last night in the sprint up the hill on the Computrainer.

ds97a
10-30-2007, 08:34 PM

Well, I've been tracking my marathon training since August on my Garmin 305 and my iBook. Also tracked my cross training bicycle rides. All of which I upload to Motion Based (as well as the local client). Pretty flawless, except Monday when I wanted to upload the results of the marathon (USMC - DC). Motion Based was very slow but, eventually worked. It was the first glitch that I have seen with them

Regarding the Mac v. PC thing. I actually like the Garmin training center software on a PC better than a mac. It has more "stuff" to play with and just plain looks better.

The same, unfortunately, goes for the pay version of Motion-Based. The analyzer and map viewer don't work on a Mac. The beta version of the map player does, however.

So, generally, I take my 305 and upload it to my mac, then to Motion-based (through my mac) then turn on my PC because Motion-based is more functional on the PC.

Sorry to be so long winded but, hope it helps.

onekgguy
10-30-2007, 08:55 PM
My uploads have been going through without any problem.

Mud...are you prompting the rides in your queue to be sent to MB? I believe you may need to do that...I could be wrong but if they're just sitting there for as long as they've been something needs to happen for them to get to where they need to be. I can't recall the process for when you've got a files in the queue waiting to be uploaded...do they upload themselves automatically or not?

Kevin g

Mud
10-31-2007, 06:19 AM
which is supposed to bring up the rides to be named, then they are transferred to the digest where I can see the results and "play" with them. I checked this AM and have asked for help from CS. Again, frustrating but not earthshaking. I am at the point where I don't need them anymore. The info in the Garmin software is enough and Topofusion will be upgraded at some point (if Scott stops taking 9 hour rides) to include what extra Garmin offers in Motion Based. Plus, with another piece of software I can DL Topofusion files into my Computrainer. It just annoys me more when I hear than others have no problem so it must be kismet. :crap: