PDA

View Full Version : Near disaster at today's cross race

Bruce K
10-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Here's a wierd one.

I escaped a potential major disaster in today's cross race. ABout 3/4 into the race my chain jumped off the rear derailleur top sprocket wheel and wrapped partially around my SRAM Force derailleur.

At first, it made lots of wierd grinding noises and didn't shift quite right.

After trying to shift, pedal, and do everything I could to figure out what was wrong without stopping, I stopped, replaced it, and continued on.

It didn't shift quite the same but I was able to finish.

When I got back to my car I noticed that the chain had cut the inside portion of the derailleur cage almost cleanly in half.

It looks like all it will cost me is a new rear derailleur, but I can't imagine the damage if the derailleur had let go.

Anyone have any ideas why this might have happened or what things I should look at beyond the replacement (please don't say because it's SRAM)? Chain too long? Misadjusted rear derailleur alignment?

BK

fstrthnu
10-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Anyone have any ideas why this might have happened or what things I should look at beyond the replacement (please don't say because it's SRAM)? Chain too long? Misadjusted rear derailleur alignment?

BK

Bruce,

I think you answered your own question.

Next time have the chain cut to proper length (on the side of tight for cross) and be sure all the stops are dialed, cables are taut, pulleys in line with the cogs, and hanger is straight.

Serotta_James
10-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Hey Bruce,
You made out well. My derailleur ripped in half on lap #3.

James

Bruce K
10-28-2007, 08:58 PM
Justin;

I did not do the original install but I plan to do the replacement.

I sort of had a feeling the chain was too long but it will be easy to take out a link or two when I open it up with the Power Link.

James - OUCH !! Any frame damage?

BK

Blue Jays
10-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Good luck with future races this season. It's fortunate you caught the problem early! :beer:

shinomaster
10-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey Bruce,
You made out well. My derailleur ripped in half on lap #3.

James

Campy centaur is the way to go imho.

Serotta_James
10-29-2007, 08:19 AM
Justin;

I did not do the original install but I plan to do the replacement.

I sort of had a feeling the chain was too long but it will be easy to take out a link or two when I open it up with the Power Link.

James - OUCH !! Any frame damage?

BK

Bent hanger. Nothing that can't be easily fixed. Just can't seem to shake my cyclocross gremlins this season.

James

Bruce K
10-29-2007, 08:31 AM
That's good to hear. It would have s++++d big time if that pretty pink bike had been damaged severely.

I assume you're doing Verge races and won't be at Plymouth or Lowell, correct?

BK

zank
10-29-2007, 08:44 AM
The Plymouth races/Putney are the week after the Verge weekend. And Lowell is the week after Plymouth/Putney.

Bruce K
10-29-2007, 10:59 AM
So which day will you be at Plymouth and you WILL be at Lowell?

:D

BK

zank
10-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I will be at Chainbiter (Sat) and Cycle-Smart (Sun) this weekend, then Plymouth (Sat) and Putney (Sun) the following weekend and then the GP in Trenton the week after that. So we will miss UNH and Lowell. Sterling (Sat) and Palmer (Sun) are the week following UNH/Lowell (Thanksgiving weekend).

Wow. Lot's of half circles in my post this time.

barry1021
10-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Here's a wierd one.

I escaped a potential major disaster in today's cross race. ABout 3/4 into the race my chain jumped off the rear derailleur top sprocket wheel and wrapped partially around my SRAM Force derailleur.

At first, it made lots of wierd grinding noises and didn't shift quite right.

After trying to shift, pedal, and do everything I could to figure out what was wrong without stopping, I stopped, replaced it, and continued on.

It didn't shift quite the same but I was able to finish.

When I got back to my car I noticed that the chain had cut the inside portion of the derailleur cage almost cleanly in half.

It looks like all it will cost me is a new rear derailleur, but I can't imagine the damage if the derailleur had let go.

BK

glad you're OK. Ummm hey, what size is that Meivici anyway??? :bike:

b21

Bruce K
10-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Step away from the carbon, sir !!! ;)

It's a basically a 53ST X 54.5TT

BK

Cdub
10-29-2007, 01:52 PM
This same problem happened to me first go round this season. SRAM Rival completely in half. Glad to know to check the chain length. I hope I do not regret the day i was talked out of Campy to go with SRAM.

barry1021
10-29-2007, 02:22 PM
Step away from the carbon, sir !!! ;)

It's a basically a 53ST X 54.5TT

BK

glad you are all right!!!!!

b21