PDA

View Full Version : Tubular recommendations

Walter
10-28-2007, 03:25 PM
I recently bought my first set of tubular rims in a couple of decades...and equipped them with Tufos. Good wear, good puncture resistance, but I am reading more and more that Tufos are low-ranked among tubulars for ride, rolling resistance and cornering.

I am soliciting advice on recent recommendations and comparisons for tubular brands and models from those of you with more experience than I.

Before the internet police lite me up about doing a search...I have done several and find nothing really recent. It seemed as though Vittoria and Veloflex were the preferred brands several years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Too Tall
10-28-2007, 03:34 PM
Do a search of this forum and you'll find tons of info. and recommends on tyres. The locals tend to like Veloflex, Vittoria and Contis.

saab2000
10-28-2007, 03:36 PM
I have had good luck with Veloflex. Supple, smooth riding and durable in my experience. And pretty puncture resistant in my experience too.

Mud
10-28-2007, 05:23 PM
But people who ride them tell me you have to use really high pressure, something we did not do. We enjoyed the Corsa CXs but actually prefer the Conti Sprinters which we run at relatively low pressure. I am 149ish and run at 100/97 (?). I have two bikes to deal with, hers and mine so Veloflex gets too pricey for me anyway, but I am sure they are as good as it gets.

terrytnt
10-28-2007, 05:49 PM
I used Vittorria for years and 2 years ago switched to Veloflex Criteriums and Carbons. I'll never look back... this tires are amazing and are lasting longer than one season (that ove 4K).

But search the forum and you'll find plenty

10-28-2007, 06:11 PM
But people who ride them tell me you have to use really high pressure, something we did not do. We enjoyed the Corsa CXs but actually prefer the Conti Sprinters which we run at relatively low pressure. I am 149ish and run at 100/97 (?). I have two bikes to deal with, hers and mine so Veloflex gets too pricey for me anyway, but I am sure they are as good as it gets.

Nah. There's no way to make a Tufo really work well except as a durable training tire. Heck, I can get a whole season on the front out of a 135 gram Tufo S3-Lite track tire and that includes riding it on the road quite a bit when I'm loosening up my legs during a long day of racing and don't have a road bike with me.

Definitely don't run the pressures higher. It's only the tri-weenies who want to do 200 psi and think it rides better. These guys swim and run for g*d's sake. There's an easier way to cover distance.

You can order Vittorias at $45 apiece from various English mail order houses. Get a couple other people to go in at 10+ tires per order and the shipping isn't bad. The Veloflex is definitely the nicest road tire out there, and these days I'd include the Dugast in that listing. You can always buy an FMB road tire, but why? Veloflex is worth the money. Can't remember the last flat I had on them, the ride is fantastic, they stick well in all weather conditions, and ... you'll just love them. Buying otherwise is like getting a decent sports car and then putting on some cheap Michelins at Costco. As long as you don't flat a lot, you'll get the value out of Veloflexes. Otherwise, the Vittorias are a close second and a much better price. Even the Vittoria Evo Pave tubulars -- big, resistant to cobbles and everything else, but a nice ride -- are only about $55. If they weren't green, they'd be perfect.

e-RICHIE
10-28-2007, 06:13 PM
It's only the tri-weenies who want to do 200 psi and think it rides better. These guys swim and run for g*d's sake. There's an easier way to cover distance.

i love this cat atmo.