PDA

View Full Version : Are Tubulars More "Surefooted" In The Rain?

93legendti
10-28-2007, 12:31 PM
I took a ride in the rain yesterday. It was lightly drizziling at first and then it just rained. I was riding my Legend ST with Dirt's old Heliums and new Conti Sprinters I had mounted, psi was ~100. Seems like cornering was safer than if I had been on clinchers. Made me wonder...

Fixed
10-28-2007, 12:49 PM
lower press. try 80 tires are round
imho cheers

Too Tall
10-28-2007, 02:51 PM
Really depends on the tyres and how you have set them up as SirFixAlot suggests tyre pressure is a huge factor. FWIIW I find less difference in cornering between tubulars vs clinchers in the rain and a more prounounced diff. in dry corners where you really can push them harder.

93legendti
10-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Conti Sprinters (glued) around 100psi...maybe it was just one of those good days...

svoop
10-29-2007, 06:32 AM
No, not in the wet.

In the dry? Maybe.

I think it's all in the feel you get from the tyre as you transition from upright to leaned over. A round profile tyre like Michelin P2R (and just about all tubs) feels progressive as yuo lean over, which gives me confidence. A tyre with a pointy, egg shaped profile like the old Conti GP3000 seem to fall into a turn as you lean the bike over. This can feel a little disconcerting, but the tyre might well have plenty of grip. Capische?