PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for a fixed gear bike.

Spectrum Bob
10-26-2007, 09:37 PM
Out of the current selection of built fixed gear bikes for under $1,000.00 what would you all consider looking at.
Thanks,
Bob

Kevan
10-26-2007, 10:04 PM
http://www.pakebikes.com/

regularguy412
10-26-2007, 10:10 PM
I just pulled the trigger on a Soma Delancey -- with the 'new October geometry'. I liked the way it measured up to my CSI better than any of the others I looked at ( Pake, Surly, etc.) It's lugged steel w/ steel fork. Price should be in the neighborhood of $650 USD, although the list price is more.

Look here: http://www.somafab.com/delancey.html

Mike in AR

sbornia
10-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Kona Paddy Wagon

Sandy
10-26-2007, 10:24 PM
You sure are up late tonight. Can't really help you too much , but nice to see you on the forum. It has been a long while. Smiley and I may ride tomorrow later in the day if the sun returns. Maybe we will see you or you might want to join us. It is possible that Smiley may possibly ride his Kogswell fixed gear early in the morning even if the roads are wet and there is light precipitation. He likes his Kogswell a lot. You might ask him about it.

Serotta Sandy

Blue Jays
10-26-2007, 10:26 PM
Another vote for going the Soma route. Perhaps there is a deal out there on a lightly-used steel Spectrum for you out there!

Sandy
10-26-2007, 10:33 PM
Another vote for going the Soma route. Perhaps there is a deal out there on a lightly-used steel Spectrum for you out there!

I think that a new custom titanium fixed gear Spectrum with 14,000 layers of paint, flawless welds, with a Tom Kellogg fit and design is about $500. A lightly used one might go for $211.45. Pretty good deal I would think. :) :)

Spectrum Specialized Steelman Salsa Soma Serotta Sandy

Blue Jays
10-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Sandy, only ridden to church on Sundays by a little old lady from Pasadena, no doubt! Somehow that elusive Spectrum fixie at a bargain price might be a tough one to find!

:beer:

SadieKate
10-26-2007, 11:25 PM
I have a Milwaukee from Ben's Cycle that is pretty nice. The frames are made by Waterford and have a nice classic steel ride. They're making a track frame now also.

http://www.benscycle.net/

swoop
10-27-2007, 12:10 AM
canonndale and bianchi....

Ray
10-27-2007, 04:55 AM
Hi Bob,

Plenty of adequate frames out there, and a few full bikes. But, as you know from your Spectrum, its all about fit and handling. I like to err on the side of a bit more stability with a fixie - when you're flailing down a hill at 160+ rpm, you want everything else as predictable as possible. And, with the advent of the ENO hub, any frame will do - vertical dropouts are not an obstacle now. So, I'd find the frame first, new or used, that fits you best. Maybe something that comes close to mimicking the geo of your Spectrum. And get a rear wheel built with an ENO. And then you're good to go. Find a crank, a front brake, and a front wheel. With a used frame, you should be able to come in well under your price. My first fixie cost me less than $100 and it was enough to get me fully addicted.

Have fun out there,

-Ray

Fixed
10-27-2007, 06:51 AM
bro all you cats wait to get one a few weeks you won't be sorry there is a super super bike co. one of the best( the best imho) in the country( don't ask me who ) that builds the best bikes around will be out with a new line for cats like us ...you must wait please
cheers

Fixed
10-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Hi Bob,

Plenty of adequate frames out there, and a few full bikes. But, as you know from your Spectrum, its all about fit and handling. I like to err on the side of a bit more stability with a fixie - when you're flailing down a hill at 160+ rpm, you want everything else as predictable as possible. And, with the advent of the ENO hub, any frame will do - vertical dropouts are not an obstacle now. So, I'd find the frame first, new or used, that fits you best. Maybe something that comes close to mimicking the geo of your Spectrum. And get a rear wheel built with an ENO. And then you're good to go. Find a crank, a front brake, and a front wheel. With a used frame, you should be able to come in well under your price. My first fixie cost me less than $100 and it was enough to get me fully addicted.

Have fun out there,

-Ray

bro once you had one you never go back
cheers imho

fstrthnu
10-27-2007, 07:03 AM
canonndale and bianchi....

Good Call but if you want something easy to find, can use on the road and track, I like the IRO Mark V Pro. The Pro has a 30mm rake, no braze-ons and a drilled front fork.

Good Luck!

ericspin
10-27-2007, 07:36 AM
bro all you cats wait to get one a few weeks you won't be sorry there is a super super bike co. one of the best( the best imho) in the country( don't ask me who ) that builds the best bikes around will be out with a new line for cats like us ...you must wait please
cheers

OK, I will bite. What secrets are you holdin'?

Fat Robert
10-27-2007, 07:59 AM
fuji

cheap basic platform

(only problem is the rear brake bridge)

(witnessed last week: track frame, 'cross fork, single front canti, knobbies...and the cat was makin it work...not ss but fixed...obviously, no dismounts...but kind of a cool wack-job training/town rig)

jtferraro
10-27-2007, 08:17 AM
I have a Milwaukee from Ben's Cycle that is pretty nice. The frames are made by Waterford and have a nice classic steel ride. They're making a track frame now also.

http://www.benscycle.net/

I 2nd the Milwaukee. The fork is a Surly Pacer, painted to match the frame, w/lugged sloping crown. The frame tubing is True Temper Verus HT, while the fork is just basic 4130 I think. Definitely a nicer bike than my previous, 'out of the box' 2004 Fuji Track.

joe torre
10-27-2007, 09:51 AM
so many ways to go about a "fixed gear under $1000"

first, if you want to go on the track on it, be attentive to the geometry. this would exclude some models...

then - besides whether you want to go with steel, aluminum... - the first question is whether you would go for a full bike, or a frameset plus a group.

complete bikes will do the job but you will want to upgrade the wheelset, saddle, etc, sooner than later. fuji track pros are great little machines for the money. a bianchi concept is going to be a little over your budget. bianchi pistas are very decent. as much as i hate to link to that forum, the question pops up every now and then on the single speed and fixed gear section of bikeforums, do a search there, plenty of threads like "a bianchi pista or khs flite 100", "soma rush or iro angus", etc.

personally i'd buy frameset and group separately because i'd rather buy the components i want right away than upgrade later and basically buy the components twice. the best value in a group is the miche track group, period.

as far as frames you have a lot of choices and can go two ways: either used/somewhat vintage (local shops or ebay) or new, and you can easily find frames for any budget - sparton frames, pake, iro, soma, affinity, bareknuckle, etc, etc, and reviews/opinions about them online.

(perhaps spend some time on fixedgeargallery.com too.)

paczki
10-27-2007, 09:57 AM
You could get a custom travel pista!

http://www.iglebike.com/track.html

Ti Designs
10-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Even on the full fixed gear bikes (bianchi, cannondale, specialized, lemond...) you wind up changing out half the parts. Fit counts for a lot. so most of the time you wind up swapping bars, stems, crank lengths. pedals... Find the bike that you like the frame on and has good wheels and go from there. One last thing, ignore what they put on there for a gear and put on what you want. I think they have a dart board at the factory to decide which gearing combo to spec.

old_school
10-27-2007, 10:44 AM
You could get a custom travel pista!

http://www.iglebike.com/track.html

hey, that's my bike! :)

Fixed
10-27-2007, 10:59 AM
joe said ..the best value in a group is the miche track group, period.
that is what i getting for my new bike i think i like that seatpost
cheers

joe torre
10-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Even on the full fixed gear bikes (bianchi, cannondale, specialized, lemond...) you wind up changing out half the parts. Fit counts for a lot. so most of the time you wind up swapping bars, stems, crank lengths. pedals... Find the bike that you like the frame on and has good wheels and go from there.
OR upgrade the wheelset right away and try to sell it new on eBay/craigslist.
Many will be looking for a winter/beater wheelset in the coming weeks. (or keep it and consider it your winter/beater wheelset) :D

spiderman
10-27-2007, 12:48 PM
and bought the lemond fillmore
that had been on the floor
for a couple of seasons.
it is a perfect fit
and even though i'm tempted to upgrade
i'm riding it as is
until it is used up
and has to be replaced.
so far so good!

marle
10-27-2007, 01:51 PM
http://www.irofixedgear.com/

sjbraun
10-27-2007, 07:03 PM
Just saw an '08 Fillmore. Very nice fixed rig. All steel with a sloping crown steel fork.
$679

Spectrum Bob
10-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Thank you everyone for all of this valuable information.

Bob

Fixed
10-28-2007, 07:50 PM
thank you it was fun like riding a fixed
cheers

Blue Jays
10-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Here's the LeMond Fillmore (http://www.lemondbikes.com/bikes/track/classic_steel/fillmore.php) suggested by fellow forumite sjbraun from their website. It looks sharp (except the ergo handlebars) and comes with brakes for those who wish to have them:

http://www.lemondbikes.com/images/bikes/large/fillmore.jpg