PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Silver and Black Components

edward12
10-26-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm contemplating purchasing a NOS Masi 3V (with threaded fork). The frame's color is bright red. I have all the silver bits for the cockpit. And the groupset is silver. However, the only wheelset I have is black (Fulcrum Racing 5's).

I'm not sure whether a black wheelset on a classic frame with silver components is asthetically permissable (forgive my spelling).

Any thoughts?

Pictures of your bikes would be most welcome.

maunahaole
10-26-2007, 07:51 PM
ride the snot out of it.

Blue Jays
10-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Sounds fine to me. What color are the hubs?

chrisroph
10-26-2007, 08:55 PM
who cares, slap them on and go for a ride

MRB
10-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I don't think putting black wheels on the bike will be bad at all. Especially considering the availability of black tires, that would blend with the rims. It's all subjective anyway.

There are a few guidelines that Dave T expressed to me that I follow. Black seatpost for a black stem and vice versa. All black jewelery is OK, and all silver jewelry is OK. Personally the only thing that bugs me is when I try a set of black bars on a silver stem. Silver bars on a black stem are OK, IMHO

Use what you want and enjoy what you use!

Hope this helps,

John

Elefantino
10-26-2007, 10:09 PM
Try this test:

Put the black wheels on the bike. Take it for a nice, long ride.

If you return safely, keep them and enjoy them for many miles.

If, at some point along the way you go POOF! and turn into a frog … well, you can't say you weren't warned.

MRB
10-27-2007, 06:00 PM
That is a great test!! I will have to try it if I start to fret the details. Life is short ya' know!!
Try this test:

Put the black wheels on the bike. Take it for a nice, long ride.

If you return safely, keep them and enjoy them for many miles.

If, at some point along the way you go POOF! and turn into a frog … well, you can't say you weren't warned.

DarrenCT
10-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm contemplating purchasing a NOS Masi 3V (with threaded fork). The frame's color is bright red. I have all the silver bits for the cockpit. And the groupset is silver. However, the only wheelset I have is black (Fulcrum Racing 5's).

I'm not sure whether a black wheelset on a classic frame with silver components is asthetically permissable (forgive my spelling).

Any thoughts?

both would look good. get a silver and black wheelset and trade off. this way you'll never regret a specific choice :)

Fixed
10-27-2007, 09:50 PM
who cares, slap them on and go for a ride
+1 cheers

Your_Friend!
10-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Edward12!

You Must See

_This_ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLl7TmddnIg) Before Deciding!

Love,
Y_F!

Avispa
10-27-2007, 10:54 PM

Any thoughts?

For the bold, use the Firefox web browser! It has built in spelling... ;)

For the other stuff, check this post out: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=34866

I do think that a classic bike, should have classic components... But that's me.

..A..