PDA

View Full Version : Bikesnob

Marron
10-26-2007, 04:50 PM
For those of you who haven't sampled the pleasures of this blog I particularly recommend the discussion of why your bike doesn't have a soul, second only to the advice on downgrading you components.

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/

Mud
10-26-2007, 05:20 PM
but I am sure my bike does.

old_school
10-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Remember—your new (high end) road bike is less about riding then it is about your idea of what a road bike should be.

He hit that one on the head.

Ti Designs
10-26-2007, 05:49 PM
I find myself in agreement with much of what is written. My bike is my home away from home, but it's still just a bike. I'll always value the time on the bike far more than the bike itself. I regret every adventure missed 'cause someone didn't want to do abuse their bike. As for downgrading, I find that time does that for me. I have Dura-Ace stuff on my road bike, but it's 9-speed with Ultegra replacing the parts that have worn out. What my fixed gear lacks in soul it makes up for in rust.

Kevan
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
of mine. I can tell you all the annoying little aspects of that frame that drive me nuts, but I stand back and thoroughly enjoy it. And smile when I ride it. I've worked hard to understand it, to overcome its shortcomings and quirks, and built it up so it functions as I need it to.

I often question if a "better" frame would ride better. How much better? I question if a "better" frame is better built. How much better built? And I question if a "better" frame weighs less. How much less?

The one thing I don't have to question is, is a "better" bike better painted. I can tell you without hesitation, better bikes are better painted.

Soooo...I ponder the value of simply having this not so good frame stripped and better painted, customizing some decals that are all mine and calling it quits.

Whaddayathink?

Dave B
10-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Kinda reminds me of the book Zen and the Art of Motor Cycle Maintenance

Good story about a guy who lost himself looking to understand what quality really is.

While we all have our own picadillos, it is fascinating to see how bikes are thought out in others' minds.

Some of those who only use campy, steel, ti, shimano, silver, black, king, brooks.

I like seeing the different bikes we post. Jack's come to mind. So many different frames, but all campy, all look pedals, SLR saddles etc.

Almost like a signature.

As I "grow up" it is weird to see function over fortune. 105 works...DA works, which is better.

I still look at campy and try to justify why I should have record, when chorus is as good minus some carbon, and then down the line that are all similar.

I think I read somewhere that when Record was updated year after year Chorus and everything else was the next level up for the previous year.

Brilliant ideas those wonderful Italians have.

Blue Jays
10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
BikeSnobNYC is always very funny. Certainly a favorite read on the internet.

Sandy
10-27-2007, 02:23 AM
of mine. I can tell you all the annoying little aspects of that frame that drive me nuts, but I stand back and thoroughly enjoy it. And smile when I ride it. I've worked hard to understand it, to overcome its shortcomings and quirks, and built it up so it functions as I need it to.

I often question if a "better" frame would ride better. How much better? I question if a "better" frame is better built. How much better built? And I question if a "better" frame weighs less. How much less?

The one thing I don't have to question is, is a "better" bike better painted. I can tell you without hesitation, better bikes are better painted.

Soooo...I ponder the value of simply having this not so good frame stripped and better painted, customizing some decals that are all mine and calling it quits.

Whaddayathink?

I thiink that I am in love....... :) :)

Simple Sandy

vaxn8r
10-27-2007, 11:29 AM
The gilded cage and the classified section made me LOL. Thanks for the link.