PDA

View Full Version : OT: Second Avenue Deli reopening

fiamme red
10-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Not in the old space (which now houses yet another Chase branch), but at 162 East 33rd Street between Lexington and Third Avenues.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/magazine/21deli-t.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Lebewohl, who is also 59, said he won’t make the same mistake he made after Abe was shot. “I put a section on the menu called ‘healthy alternatives,’ ” he recalled. “Roast chicken, broiled salmon, fillet of sole. I stopped selling all of it.” He shrugged. “People come to the deli because they want to eat a certain type of food.” Or as the New York Times reporter and deli aficionado Richard F. Shepard used to say, “I love Jewish food, but when you eat it, 72 hours later you’re hungry again.”

Too Tall
10-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Manet, RastaDale, Fiamme the rest of youz? I'm all about NYC good eats.

I'm starving.

e-RICHIE
10-24-2007, 04:20 PM
i could plotz atmo.

RIHans
10-24-2007, 08:00 PM
When I first moved to NYC in '91, I lived on that block. Nice area of the city, easy to the subway and trains at GCT.

Next time there, I can visit the old 'hood and get a bagel with 'nova!

djg
10-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Saw the story in the Sunday Magazine -- it made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me think I'll need a road trip.

keno
10-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Am I the only one old enough here to remember LOX, not nova. The Endurolytes of food.

keno

Too Tall
10-25-2007, 08:30 AM
LOX Makes me howl everytime I see that painted on aircraft.

The "problem" when we get to the deli is what to have?

I'm incline to stay the true path:

Bowl of matzo ball soup,sliced brisket, potato pancake, kugel.

Lord...take me now....to the emergency room ;)

bigman
10-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Can't beleive they never found his murderer!

LegendRider
10-25-2007, 08:34 AM
I've never understood the appeal of those massive sandwiches with roast beef or turkey three inches thick. Too much of a good thing is still too much.

michael white
10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
LOX Makes me howl everytime I see that painted on aircraft.

The "problem" when we get to the deli is what to have?

I'm incline to stay the true path:

Bowl of matzo ball soup,sliced brisket, potato pancake, kugel.

Lord...take me now....to the emergency room ;)

one matzo ball at one of those joints is like Thanksgiving anywhere else.

e-RICHIE
10-25-2007, 08:42 AM
I've never understood the appeal of those massive sandwiches with roast beef or turkey three inches thick. Too much of a good thing is still too much.
you have to be a yeshiva bucher atmo.

gt6267a
10-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Am I the only one old enough here to remember LOX, not nova. The Endurolytes of food.

keno

Lox is the business. That said, I like a mound of the good stuff so large that to go all lox is over bearing. If you just put 5 slices of lox on a bagel its fine, but if you go all out you need to cut the salt with something … the real purpose behind Nova, to get your fish pile to the right height without over-salting.

fiamme red
10-25-2007, 08:56 AM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/08/01/something-to-nosh-on-heres-the-skinny-on-jewish-delis/

Mr. Lebewohl remarked on the difficulty of finding pitcha — a dish prepared by cooking calves’ feet for a long time, creating a gelatinous substance that is then chilled, with bits of meat in it.

He recalled that he was once at a forum with his late brother Abe (who was murdered in 1996) and Mr. Federman, where they were asked about the nutritional content of their offerings. Mr. Federman offered a learned explanation of the calorie content of his dishes, while “my brother said, ‘My food is delicious, but it can kill you,’ and sat down.”

torquer
10-25-2007, 10:52 AM

From the article:
Early next month, the Second Avenue Deli is scheduled to reopen in a building the Lebewohls bought at 162 East 33rd Street between Lexington and Third Avenues, a nondescript patch of Midtown near New York University Medical Center. “The doctors there are so excited,” Jack said. “Mostly the cardiologists.”

fiamme red
12-11-2007, 03:09 PM
http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/41798/

e-RICHIE
12-11-2007, 03:14 PM
i could plotz atmo.

Blue Jays
12-11-2007, 03:15 PM
"...I've never understood the appeal of those massive sandwiches with roast beef or turkey three inches thick. Too much of a good thing is still too much..."Same here. Bread, lettuce, salt, pepper, and whatever else is just as much part of the sandwich as the turkey. Too much of any single component throws off the true "balance" of a sandwich.

e-RICHIE
12-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Same here. Bread, lettuce, salt, pepper, and whatever else is just as much part of the sandwich as the turkey. Too much of any single component throws off the true "balance" of a sandwich.
let my people go atmo.

Blue Jays
12-11-2007, 03:18 PM
e-RICHIE, no big deal. The huge mounds of turkey are simply removed to make for a more reasonable-sized sandwich. The waste is unfortunate. :(

e-RICHIE
12-11-2007, 03:26 PM
e-RICHIE, no big deal. The huge mounds of turkey are simply removed to make for a more reasonable-sized sandwich. The waste is unfortunate. :(
next year in israel atmo.

Bud_E
12-11-2007, 03:40 PM
http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/41798/

Nice interview. Brought back memories of my Dad making gribenous at home. It contributed to the many heart attacks he had but he sure loved it.

Blue Jays
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
"next year in israel atmo."What's happening in Israel next year that has to do with sandwiches?

djg
12-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Same here. Bread, lettuce, salt, pepper, and whatever else is just as much part of the sandwich as the turkey. Too much of any single component throws off the true "balance" of a sandwich.

Turkey? You go to the 2d Avenue Deli for turkey? And then complain that it's too much turkey, because you don't want it all on one sandwich and don't want any to take home either?

I'm not criticizing, just tryin' to understand.

Blue Jays
12-11-2007, 06:08 PM
"...Turkey? You go to the 2d Avenue Deli for turkey? And then complain that it's too much turkey, because you don't want it all on one sandwich and don't want any to take home either? I'm not criticizing, just tryin' to understand..."I've never been to the 2nd Avenue Deli. I'm saying any deli that slices a half-pound of turkey on my sandwich is too much. If I'm walking around as a tourist and stop for a bite, I'm not going to carry around unrefrigerated turkey to take home, it's unfortunately going into the garbage to be disposed. I also like to taste the delicious bread, lettuce, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and anything else that is part of the sandwich.

:beer:

e-RICHIE
12-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I've never been to the 2nd Avenue Deli. I'm saying any deli that slices a half-pound of turkey on my sandwich is too much. If I'm walking around as a tourist and stop for a sandwich, I'm not carrying around unrefrigerated turkey to take home, it's unfortunately going into the garbage to be disposed. I also like to taste the delicious bread, lettuce, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and anything else that is part of the sandwich.
it's an ethnic thing atmo. my folks from
bialystock are more likely to get it atmo.

Bud_E
12-11-2007, 06:12 PM
i could plotz atmo.

OY! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zJxyPPK8c)

e-RICHIE
12-11-2007, 06:19 PM
OY! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1zJxyPPK8c)
wow -
from cough drops to camp atmo.
what a long strange trip it's been -

http://cityguide.pojonews.com/fe/Heritage/stories/he_smith_brothers.gif

Blue Jays
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
"...it's an ethnic thing atmo. my folks from
bialystock are more likely to get it atmo..."I know New York delicatessens are famous for their stuffed sandwiches and I certainly get it because I'm reasonably familiar with world-class Jewish eateries.
My point is that many typical consumers would be just as pleased with a little less turkey, pastrami, or roast beef on their sandwiches to reduce the inevitable food waste.

gt6267a
12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
I know New York delicatessens are famous for their stuffed sandwiches and I certainly get it because I'm reasonably familiar with world-class Jewish eateries.
My point is that many typical consumers would be just as pleased with a little less turkey, pastrami, or roast beef on their sandwiches to reduce the inevitable food waste.

so ... what you are saying is that you are weak and don't finish the sandwiches?

e-RICHIE
12-11-2007, 08:03 PM
I know New York delicatessens are famous for their stuffed sandwiches and I certainly get it because I'm reasonably familiar with world-class Jewish eateries.

world class jewish eateries atmo?
that's a list i wanna get!

Blue Jays
12-11-2007, 08:07 PM
"so...what you are saying is that you are weak and don't finish the sandwiches?"Normal-sized sandwiches are perfectly sufficient for lunch. :)

rphetteplace
12-11-2007, 08:10 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm

http://milwaukee.citysearch.com/profile/11012209/milwaukee_wi/jake_s_delicatessen.html

Blue Jays
12-11-2007, 08:11 PM
"world class jewish eateries atmo?
that's a list i wanna get!"There are many of them to be found in cities all over the world. While on business in New York City the one we visited seemed to specialize in extra-stuffed sandwiches that could honestly feed two or three people.
The sandwiches were truly gigantic.

CNY rider
12-11-2007, 08:23 PM
There are many of them to be found in cities all over the world. While on business in New York City the one we visited seemed to specialize in extra-stuffed sandwiches that could honestly feed two or three people.

Share the sandwich so you have room for some kishka.
Otherwise if you just go there and have turkey those cardiologists will go out of business!

e-RICHIE
12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
There are many of them to be found in cities all over the world. While on business in New York City the one we visited seemed to specialize in extra-stuffed sandwiches that could honestly feed two or three people.
i guess what i sense from the 1s and 0s is that you like
to eat well and eat wisely. those are not the reasons one
(we - my people) goes to a 2nd avenue deli or its ilk atmo.

stevep
12-11-2007, 08:50 PM

blue jays...
you're trying to sell a beat up used bike to jack brunk.

he's not gonna buy it no matter how many times you tell him its the right thing.

Steevo
12-11-2007, 08:59 PM
Corned beef on rye is the best comfort food. Takes me back to my youth, growing up in Borscht Belt Ellenville. Many lunches on Saturdays were spent with my dad at Sam's Restaurant with a big bowl of matzo ball soup and a corned beef on rye. Man, that place was good. These days, a good corned beef sandwich is a rare treat. Its just a different sandwich experience.

e-RICHIE
12-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Corned beef on rye is the best comfort food. Takes me back to my youth, growing up in Borscht Belt Ellenville. Many lunches on Saturdays were spent with my dad at Sam's Restaurant with a big bowl of matzo ball soup and a corned beef on rye. Man, that place was good. These days, a good corned beef sandwich is a rare treat. Its just a different sandwich experience.
a fellow yeshiva bucher no doubt atmo.

Steevo
12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Not really - public school with a side of religion for me.

MarleyMon
12-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Corned beef on rye is the best comfort food...These days, a good corned beef sandwich is a rare treat. Its just a different sandwich experience.
you just talked me into a trip to Shapiro's Deli here in Indy.
Great corned beef, great food overall.
Cafeteria style w/ all the yummy deserts offered first,
then the sides, then the steam table & grill
still in the same place for 70 years or so.

RIHans
12-12-2007, 12:49 AM
http://gonyc.about.com/od/restaurants/tp/best_delis.htm

It's all about the good stuff!

schadenfreude
12-12-2007, 04:34 AM

Blue Jays, why do you refer to yourself in the third person?

MarleyMon
12-12-2007, 08:52 AM
Blue Jays, why do you refer to yourself in the third person?
Marley sez - "we" is first person plural, his companion is unnamed but implied.
If he was alone, the use of "we" would be the "royal" usage,
like Queen Victoria saying "We are not amused."

"...and so, from too much reading and too little sleep
his brain dried up and he lost his wit." Cervantes

gt6267a
12-12-2007, 09:03 AM
i guess what i sense from the 1s and 0s is that you like
to eat well and eat wisely. those are not the reasons one
(we - my people) goes to a 2nd avenue deli or its ilk atmo.

+1 ... one does not go back to work after hitting katz's and russ and daughters. if you are concerned about your diet or ability to work, get sushi. after a festival of pastrami delights, one takes a nap in central park or does a little people watching while thinking about whether to get the skirt steak or lamb chops at sammy's roumanian steak house and whether to tell the bat mitzvah every sat night guy that its your friend's birthday. schmaltz in the house.

fiamme red
12-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Normal-sized sandwiches are perfectly sufficient for lunch. :)I think you're missing the point. To quote from the NYT article in the original post:

New York Times reporter and deli aficionado Richard F. Shepard used to say, "I love Jewish food, but when you eat it, 72 hours later you’re hungry again."

Blue Jays
12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
fiamme red, that was a very humorous modification of the classic joke about eating Chinese food and being hungry two hours later! Definitely funny stuff! :D

e-RICHIE
12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
fiamme red, that was a very humorous modification of the classic joke about eating Chinese food and being hungry two hours later! Definitely funny stuff! :D
so - if you dine on nouvelle cuisine do you leave hungry?
jew food is the opposite atmo.

michael white
12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
one of those big sandwiches has nothing to do with lunch or 72 hours or any normal measure of nutrition. They're for a deeper sort of hunger, which goes way way back, and it's something that nothing else can touch. It's a pilgrimage; it's in your blood.

Blue Jays
12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
e-RICHIE, the sandwiches we experienced were probably two pounds each, if not more! There is no leaving hungry from a classic Jewish delicatessen.
That must just be their time-honored gustatory claim to fame and it's a technique they'll likely use forever. :)

J.Greene
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
e-RICHIE, the sandwiches we experienced were probably two pounds each, if not more! There is no leaving hungry from a classic Jewish delicatessen.
That must just be their time-honored gustatory claim to fame and it's a technique they'll likely use forever. :)

2lbs????

No place to eat for a bike racer.

JG

e-RICHIE
12-12-2007, 01:26 PM
ah you do get it atmo.

so, if it were not for carrying around a few half-eaten
sandwiches when you hit macys and moma, it'd all work
out? from what i read here, it's only wasted for you because
you can't walk around nyc with a doggie bag atmo.

davids
12-12-2007, 01:48 PM
This is making me sad.

Good Boston deli is an oxymoron. Zaftig's? Feh!

OTOH, that Israeli HDTV ad was priceless.

Blue Jays
12-12-2007, 02:16 PM
"...ah you do get it atmo.

so, if it were not for carrying around a few half-eaten
sandwiches when you hit macys and moma, it'd all work
out? from what i read here, it's only wasted for you because
you can't walk around nyc with a doggie bag atmo..."e-RICHIE, well maybe it would be fine during icy-cold wintertime because the turkey wouldn't spoil in the heat! OK, you've convinced me to make this type of gigantic sandwich a few meals. ;) :D

gt6267a
12-12-2007, 02:28 PM
e-RICHIE, well maybe it would be fine during icy-cold wintertime because the turkey wouldn't spoil in the heat! OK, you've convinced me to make this type of gigantic sandwich a few meals. ;) :D

i think there is a great difference between treating one of these sandwiches as a daily lunch prospect and a culinary opportunity for glorious consumption. if you are in the former camp, well, split the thing between nine co-workers, get yourself a side salad, and be done with it. If you are in it for the glory of pastrami, man-up and finish the thing at the restaurant and stop with this doggie-bag in the heat crap.

e-RICHIE
12-12-2007, 02:41 PM
e-RICHIE, well maybe it would be fine during icy-cold wintertime because the turkey wouldn't spoil in the heat! OK, you've convinced me to make this type of gigantic sandwich a few meals. ;) :D
let's party after the 'cross natzmo atzmo.
we leave in 30 minutes.
where the eff is spinelli...

Ken Robb
12-12-2007, 02:44 PM
world class jewish eateries atmo?
that's a list i wanna get!

here ya go:
Sol's bubbe's house
Abe's bubbe's house
Rachel's bubbe's house
etc, etc, etc, :)

Too Tall
12-13-2007, 09:28 AM
I may starve to death reading this thread. You have no idea how loud my inner-fatman yearns for deli!!! Am heading to NYC soon to fix this. I'll do my 72 hrs. and live to tell.

HEY! All you CA forum readers. Go to my cousin's frozen treat store, it's outta this world.

http://myfoxla.cityvoter.com/Details.aspx?business=56502&img=254192

fiamme red
12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
It's easy to remember the new location of the 2nd Avenue Deli. Just say, in your best imitation of a Brooklyn accent, "Toity-toid an' Toid."

RIHans
02-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Review in todays NYT food section.

http://events.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/dining/reviews/13rest.html?th&emc=th

Yum.

fiamme red
02-13-2008, 02:19 PM
Review in todays NYT food section.

http://events.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/dining/reviews/13rest.html?th&emc=th

Yum.More here:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/13/mustard-and-memories/

fiamme red
02-13-2008, 02:23 PM
For NAHBS 2009, this is said to be pretty good:

http://www.shapiros.com/

e-RICHIE
02-13-2008, 02:32 PM

shapiro is our maiden name atmo.
it all happens for a reasonmo.

MarleyMon
02-13-2008, 02:46 PM

mere blocks from the convention ctr.
great food!

Too Tall
02-13-2008, 06:16 PM
"Toity-toid an' Toid" (check)
http://www.streetvendor.org/vendies.html (double check)

...is where I'm bound in the early am. Text me. It will be like shooting at a moving fox hole ;)

djg
02-13-2008, 06:19 PM
shapiro is our maiden name atmo.
it all happens for a reasonmo.

but the picturemo seems to show cheesemo on the corned beef sandwhichmo...i

e-RICHIE
02-13-2008, 07:46 PM
but the picturemo seems to show cheesemo on the corned beef sandwhichmo...i
if it tastes good, who the fkuc caresmo atmo.

djg
02-13-2008, 08:19 PM
if it tastes good, who the fkuc caresmo atmo.

The guys at the second avenue deli.

But if you're happy, I'm happy -- have any sandwich you wantmo.

e-RICHIE
02-13-2008, 08:24 PM
The guys at the second avenue deli.

But if you're happy, I'm happy -- have any sandwich you wantmo.
ah gotcha atmo.
i don't mix myself.