PDA

View Full Version : neil young

chrisroph
10-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I saw neil in portland monday night. i took my 22 yr old son. he thought it was "awesome" and he downloaded some of neil's catalog last night. we ended up in the front row. the first set contained some unrecorded gems played solo and acoustic. the second set featured many cuts from the new album but also some older songs. my son now believes that neil is the grandfather of grunge.

if you get a chance to see the tour and are a neil fan you will not be disappointed. he still has the ability to hypnotize thousands with just his voice and a guitar.

shinomaster
10-24-2007, 02:12 PM
Oh, you suck! Wanna ride today?

barry1021
10-24-2007, 02:19 PM
I saw neil in portland monday night. i took my 22 yr old son. he thought it was "awesome" and he downloaded some of neil's catalog last night. we ended up in the front row. the first set contained some unrecorded gems played solo and acoustic. the second set featured many cuts from the new album but also some older songs. my son now believes that neil is the grandfather of grunge.

if you get a chance to see the tour and are a neil fan you will not be disappointed. he still has the ability to hypnotize thousands with just his voice and a guitar.

I think it was 1971. :cool:

b21

Ozz
10-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Hey hey...my my....sounds fun.

I saw him about 20 yrs ago...Sonic Youth opened.....it was a loud concert.

cmg
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM

Sonic Youth and Social Distortion was the opener when Neil young played Houston. social distortion played with the house lights on. ......not loud enough.

jhcakilmer
10-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Neil Young was the featured set at a festival concert I went to, about 10 years ago. All the stages were outside, and he played for 3 hours in the driving rain........epic concert! He had a little cover, but was still getting soaked. I was suprised the rain didn't effect the electronics. He changed guitar 3 times, so maybe it was, but it sounded great.

zeroking17
10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your concert report; really cool that your son "gets it" now. :)

Cinnamon Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOCnDAwqWyg) is the song that got me hooked.

roman meal
10-24-2007, 03:51 PM
My bratty nephew-in law looked a spot with Neil Young on the television with me, and asked who that was. "Neil Young" I replied, to which she replied " More like Neil Old".

She also asked me who "Special Ed" was, saying honestly "I mean, who is special ed? Was he like the first retarded kid or something?"

Honestly. These are the folks that will pay into my Social Security fund someday.

:crap:

Wayne77
10-24-2007, 05:58 PM

I saw the same show, different city. Has it been that long? Thanks for reminding me :rolleyes:

SoCalSteve
10-24-2007, 06:38 PM
A very different Neil Young...

I saw him in the mid 70's..He just showed up at a Stephen Stills concert..He sat on a stool with a guitar in his hands and was so messed up he couldnt even hardly play...

This is not to say that I dont have a ton of NY on my ipod and listen to him when I ride....I do and enjoy him thoroughly!

Just sayin'

Steve

Fixed
10-24-2007, 06:47 PM
bro you can remember that ?cheers :beer:

chrisroph
10-24-2007, 06:56 PM
Link to a review. He played love is a rose, and said it was for his old friend stephen. The first time i ever heard this song played was at a stills concert many years ago.

soulspinner
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM

Cherish that. :beer:

rwsaunders
10-24-2007, 08:18 PM
I heard an interview with him on The World Cafe several years ago. He talked about his brain aneurism, raising a family and life in general. He's a great musician and a class act in general.

PBWrench
10-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I was at the Move On concert a few years ago totally blissed out wiith the Boss, Fogerty and REM. Then Bruce said "I hope you don't mind that I've invited a Canadian friend to join us. Mr. Young? "And Neil walked out and launched into Down By the River." My 17 year old's stunned comment: "No friggin' way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Noonan
10-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Word to Neil fans - if you haven't heard it, go out and buy his album "Live at Massey Hall" tomorrow. Better yet, check it out on itunes. It's a remastered bootleg from a concert in 1971 in Toronto. His voice, guitarwork and piano playing are SUPERB. Many of the tunes you know by heart he plays for the first time in public, including Old Man (with a great verbal introduction!) To paraphrase my friend, you don't need to know the first thing about Neil Young to listen to this album and realize you are listening to sheer genius.

pdxmech13
10-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Christoph

Glad to hear you had a good time at the show. One your sone will remember I am sure for a long time to come. A co worker and I were just talkin today that we hadn't heard anyone's review yet of the show.

pdbrye
10-24-2007, 10:02 PM
He's playing 5 or 6 shows in NY in November I think. My 16 year old daughter wants to go so I'm trying to get tickets for the two of us. It'd be cool, two generations at a Neil concert! What a blast :)

thwart
10-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Yep---figure it's a good sign that many kids today really "get it'' about great artists like Young, in spite of the fact that he is the age of their parents... very, very old.

My 18 yo daughter is a big Who/Pete Townshend fan. Never would've seen that as even a remote possibility a few years ago.

I could listen to Who's Next over and over again for a long time... and lately, thanks to her, I have. :p

d_douglas
10-25-2007, 02:10 AM
I saw a NY/Sonic Youth concert too, but it wasn't that long ago, OZZ! I was in Vancouver, so I am sure it was the same tour as what you saw in Seattle - it was in 1994 or so, because I moved there in 1992 and it was a few years post arrival.

Nevertheless - he is great. Old Neil Young can bring a tear to my eye. Some new Neil Young can even manage that! Remember RE-ac-tor? Brilliant!

GregLR
10-25-2007, 03:22 AM
What about "Trans" ? That was a great album, also from the early 80s !

(Sorry, I'm actually a long-term fan dating from the time of "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" and I've seen NY live, even out here in Australia. While travelling in France for PBP last August I bought a Japanese compilation called "Mystery Train" that has a song from "Trans" on it. We played the disc so much in our rental car that I ended up humming that song at times. But I've only played the album twice - once when it came out, and then last year to see if it really was as unlistenable as I recalled.)

Greg

William
10-25-2007, 04:53 AM
I saw him do an acoustic show back in 83 or so, simply amazing. :cool:

William

Climb01742
10-25-2007, 04:57 AM
"after the gold rush" (album) to "rockin' in the free world", neil's range is amazing. not many singers are as true to themselves as he is.

Ray
10-25-2007, 06:04 AM
I love Neil Young - have seen him several times dating back to the mid-70s. I may have Tonight's The Night buried with me when I go. And whenever I eff something up, I always break into a high volume rendition of WHY DO I KEEP EFFing UP? When I was first learning to play electric guitar, my best buddy and I would jam on the two chords that makes up most of Down By The River for hours on end.

But the cheapest seats for the two shows he's doing in Philly are about $200 and there are tickets over $500 to sit up front in the pit. And these aren't scalper prices - these are on the venue's web site. I'm sorry. I just spent almost $100 to see Bruce Springsteen and that was more than twice what I've ever paid to see a concert before. There's no way I'm paying between 2-5 times that much. I saw George Harrison in '74 and paid $10 and THAT was outrageous at the time. Rod Stewart and Lynard Skynard in '75 only cost about $6 or $7. I got used to paying $35 to see the Dead in their later days and I was willing to pony up a C-note for the Boss, just once. But I'm too old for the live concert scene anyway and when you're asking for that much money, I'm sorry. Just isn't happening for me.

But if you go, ENJOY. This Spud's for you!

-Ray

chrisroph
10-25-2007, 08:21 AM
I hear you ray, tickets are getting expensive. you either have to suck it up and pay or give up going to the shows. i pass on some shows and go to others.

the morning tickets went on sale, i tried to get a couple and they were all gone. however, i found out a few days later that a friend bought a block of them and she offered me a couple. our tickets were $65 but, because our seats were occupied by sound equipment, we were eventually walked down to the front row and given some portable chairs that were placed in the front row just for us.

Ray
10-25-2007, 08:48 AM
I hear you ray, tickets are getting expensive. you either have to suck it up and pay or give up going to the shows. i pass on some shows and go to others.
Fortunately for me, MOST of my taste runs to the fairly obscure, so I can see the folks I like in small places for small prices. Doesn't do THEM a lot of good, but its aces for the consumer. I can generally find good seats to see the likes of Richard Thompson, Aimee Mann, Shannon MacNally, Joe Ely, etc for well under $50 and I don't have to fight crowds for it either. And there's still great jazz in small clubs for a cover and a few drinks. The musical choices are good, but I just have to let most of the really big names float on by in my dotage (and theirs). I'm glad they're still out there doing it it though.

-Ray

chrisroph
10-25-2007, 09:12 AM
got to see joe ely, lyle lovett, guy clark and john hiatt together in the round earlier this year

Ozz
10-25-2007, 11:04 AM
I saw a NY/Sonic Youth concert too, but it wasn't that long ago, OZZ! ...
Holy cr*p.....just shows how old I am....I just knew it was after college and before getting married ;)

pdbrye
10-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Yep---figure it's a good sign that many kids today really "get it'' about great artists like Young, in spite of the fact that he is the age of their parents... very, very old.

My 18 yo daughter is a big Who/Pete Townshend fan. Never would've seen that as even a remote possibility a few years ago.

I could listen to Who's Next over and over again for a long time... and lately, thanks to her, I have. :p

Thats funny, my 16 yo daughter also is big time into classic rock, especially The Who and The Stones. No interest whatsoever in contemperary pop. :cool:

39cross
10-25-2007, 07:14 PM
Rod Stewart and Lynard Skynard in '75 only cost about $6 or $7. -RayHey, I saw Rod Stewart in '75 also. It was at the Boston Garden. Peter Frampton opened for him. It was before "Frampton Comes Alive" was released. Don't remember what I paid for tix.

That said...I had every Neil Young album in my teen years. Looking back on the musicians in my collection, how many of those rock era guys and gals grew as artists....most are long gone from the scene. Neil on the other hand is a true artist who keeps evolving and giving us interesting and memorable music. My son gave me Prairie Wind for Christmas a couple years ago, I enjoy it immensely.

chrisroph
10-25-2007, 07:29 PM
my first good bike was a full campy ital vega superspeciale that cost about $650. Gas cost $.299 for premium, you could buy a vw bug for $2000 and a house in calif was about $50k.

thwart
10-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Good article on Mr. Young in today's NY Times...

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/arts/music/28pare.html

Russell
10-29-2007, 06:44 AM
I'm going to see him in a couple weeks. I prefer him with Crazy Horse, but this should still be great. Read his bio "Shakey" if you haven't already.

He is one of the few (Bruce, Dylan, Iggy) who is still putting out relevant music this far into his career.

Russell
10-29-2007, 06:51 AM
But the cheapest seats for the two shows he's doing in Philly are about $200 and there are tickets over $500 to sit up front in the pit. And these aren't scalper prices - these are on the venue's web site.
-Ray

Whoa, those are high. In DC the tickets are $157 for the floor and $99 for the seats on the side (which is where I am sitting). THis is at DAR Constitution Hall, which is fairly small; 3000 seats I think.

Don't know why they are so much more expensive in Philly.