PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Rant 'n Ramble

TimB
10-24-2007, 01:24 PM
So I'm browsin' stuff on Ebay and come across:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Single-Speed-Kit-White-Ind-ENO-Wheel-Dura-Ace-Brakes_W0QQitemZ220161946747QQihZ012QQcategoryZ361 44QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and that seems cool. And then I take a look at the included photos of the wheel, which would be what I'd really be interested in. And the photos are so blurry it's impossible to make out whether it's even an Eno hub. Even the close-up is too blurry to see.

I just don't get it. To me, to use such poor photos just makes me wonder what/whether the seller is trying to hide. How hard is it to get a clear shot? The seller has to realize the photos are bad - why not try again (and again?) until you get a good photo?

This is far from the first time I've seen this - and I just don't understand...

BURCH
10-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Unfortunately, there is no prereq that states that you must have a marketing degree to sell on Ebay. That pic is not going to sell anything.

Kines
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm with ya, but I've bought so much stuff on ebay that had crappy photos and turned out to be just fine that I just go by the feedback now. Also, I always ask a question if it's something worth more than 50 bucks or so. If they don't answer to my satisfaction, I don't bid.

Maybe there's an occasional seller trying to hide something behind the blur, but I think it is almost always a case of just low standards and/or talent with photography.

KN

markie
10-24-2007, 01:49 PM
FWIW, it is an ENO hub, look at the top right pic.

But unless you want the other junk the price is getting too close to the new price for it to be worth it. IMHO.

Fixed
10-24-2007, 01:55 PM
i think it's good bro
cheers imho

t. swartz
10-24-2007, 02:00 PM
agree with kines-look at seller's feedback. a few months back i picked up a pair of sidi carbon shoes-only two small photos with the listing, but a with a high feedback score. best looking/fitting shoes i've ever ridden.

handsomerob
10-24-2007, 02:04 PM
I'm with ya, but I've bought so much stuff on ebay that had crappy photos and turned out to be just fine that I just go by the feedback now. Also, I always ask a question if it's something worth more than 50 bucks or so. If they don't answer to my satisfaction, I don't bid.

Maybe there's an occasional seller trying to hide something behind the blur, but I think it is almost always a case of just low standards and/or talent with photography.

KN

I bought my Serotta Club Special on eBay and the posted pics were terrible, which worked out good for me because not too many folks could make out that the group on it was first gen Record. I confirmed my suspicion by asking for better/bigger pics. The end result was I sold the parts and was left with the frameset for free. :D

TimB
10-24-2007, 02:45 PM
was not about this particular auction - just that it seems to me that if I were trying to sell something and wanted to get the best possible price that I'd make sure I had good photos, as it would seem obvious that bad, blurry photos would be more likely to cause concern.

DRZRM
10-24-2007, 03:06 PM
True enough, but as Kines said, sometimes as the buyer, a terrible picture means less interest, less competition, and a lower price. I picked up my fiance's Legend from a racer in Seattle with awful pics. I asked him to email others (still not great quality, but at least I could tell what I was getting) and got it for a steal.

:beer:

Look on the bright side.

was not about this particular auction - just that it seems to me that if I were trying to sell something and wanted to get the best possible price that I'd make sure I had good photos, as it would seem obvious that bad, blurry photos would be more likely to cause concern.

Too Tall
10-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Rainin' down south too? Sigh.

TimB
10-24-2007, 04:55 PM
S'good thing, really. It's been weeeeks since we've had any significant rain.

Why, ya thinkin' I'm just being grumpy?

DukeHorn
10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
I bought a Rocky Mountain Element TO that was photographed very poorly.

When I went to pick it up, I was talking to the e-bayer and it turns out that she was a fashion photographer. She showed me some of her portfolio pics of Jessica Simpson, Christina Aguilera, etc. Turns out it was her husband's bike and his photos, just sold on her account. Bike was full XTR and basically unused. Probably my best e-bay purchase ever.