PDA

View Full Version : Off topic - need advice on surfboards

PaulE
10-23-2007, 09:01 PM
Are there any surfers here? Keith A, aren't you a surfer? I need some advice on surfboards. Our 18 year old son wants a new surfboard, something shorter than the 9 ft. BIC that we bought him a few years ago, so he can surf at the Jersey shore now. The longboard is good for the summer when the waves are small, but now that the waves are stronger, it's too big. He's 6ft 7in and about 225lbs. This is the board he wants to get:

Rusty (http://www.surftech.com/shaper.phtml?labelId=67&type=shortboards&typeId=8&thumbInc=8)

Well as a parent you always have concerns, and when you don't know anything about something your kid wants to do you worry more about safety than you do if it's something you've done yourself all your life. If I didn't ride a bike and my kid wanted one, I'd probably say something like "Are you crazy, you'll get hit by a car!" But since I do ride a bike, I don't worry about that. I don't surf and know next to nothing about it. If I had my way, he would be surfing on one of those soft boards. I tried that a couple of times, and if I surfed that is what I would use and I would be happy as a clam. But I understand that's not for him.

At least his BIC surfboard has a fairly blunt nose. A lot of surfboards I see have such points on their noses that they look like daggers to me. And then I envision him getting tossed off the board and having it go airborne and come straight down with that point into the back of his head. Or some other surfer losing control and surfing into him, but we've already assumed that risk, haven't we? Now he can potentially hurt someone else more than he could have without this pointy instrument.

So, am I overly concerned about this? He believes something like the scenario I've described never happens. FWIW when I was his age that's what I would have believed as well, but now I believe if it doesn't happen 99.999999% of the time, the 0.0000001 % of the time it happens it is 100% certain to happen to him.

Is there a surfboard similar to what he wants that has a rounded nose instead of a point? Or is there a rubber bumper device one can buy to put over that dagger point? I buy his argument about the material this board is made of vs. fiberglass, and his argument that this is a short board for big guys. If you're still reading this, by now you understand I just don't like those points.

You folks are a wise bunch and if any of you are surfers and have some advice on this subject I would really appreciate it. I'm going to bed now and hope when I get to work tomorrow and check in it will be like Christmas morning all over again with lots replies with great advice. Thanks in advance for your help. :banana:

chuckred
10-23-2007, 09:10 PM
Well as a parent you always have concerns, and when you don't know anything about something your kid wants to do you worry more about safety than you do if it's something you've done yourself all your life. If I didn't ride a bike and my kid wanted one, I'd probably say something like "Are you crazy, you'll get hit by a car!" But since I do ride a bike, I don't worry about that. I don't surf and know next to nothing about it. If I had my way, he would be surfing on one of those soft boards. I tried that a couple of times, and if I surfed that is what I would use and I would be happy as a clam. But I understand that's not for him.

At least his BIC surfboard has a fairly blunt nose. A lot of surfboards I see have such points on their noses that they look like daggers to me. And then I envision him getting tossed off the board and having it go airborne and come straight down with that point into the back of his head. Or some other surfer losing control and surfing into him, but we've already assumed that risk, haven't we? Now he can potentially hurt someone else more than he could have without this pointy instrument.

So, am I overly concerned about this? He believes something like the scenario I've described never happens. FWIW when I was his age that's what I would have believed as well, but now I believe if it doesn't happen 99.999999% of the time, the 0.0000001 % of the time it happens it is 100% certain to happen to him.

Is there a surfboard similar to what he wants that has a rounded nose instead of a point? Or is there a rubber bumper device one can buy to put over that dagger point? I buy his argument about the material this board is made of vs. fiberglass, and his argument that this is a short board for big guys. If you're still reading this, by now you understand I just don't like those points.

You folks are a wise bunch and if any of you are surfers and have some advice on this subject I would really appreciate it. I'm going to bed now and hope when I get to work tomorrow and check in it will be like Christmas morning all over again with lots replies with great advice. Thanks in advance for your help. :banana:

While I haven't surfed since the early 80's, I grew up at the beach and spent as much time as I could in the water. All my friends were avid surfers. Not saying it hasn't happened, but we sure never worried about it. Think about someone telling you to put training wheels on your Serotta because the wheels look just so thin and it might tip over... would you do it? Of course not.

Just like cycling, surfing has a significant technical aspect to it. Equipment is designed the way it is for a reason. I have no idea what would work best on the Jersey shore, but assuming he's researched it, has good advice from a surf shop, I'd worry about alot of other things before I worried about the surf board! At least when he's surfing, he can't be on a skateboard, and that's what caused most of my injuries at that age!

maunahaole
10-23-2007, 09:18 PM
I am a novice surfer and can at least tell you that the bigger hazards are either submerged (rock, reef, et.al.) or the fins on the board, as opposes to the pointy ends. Any board big enough to float him will be pretty heavy, so that shape is less an issue for injury as the simple mass of the thing.

How big are the waves there anyway? A longboard can surf into bigger waves. Make sure that he doesnt want a pointy "fish" board because its what the cool kids use...he is 18 and is still open to that kind of suggestion.

Viper
10-23-2007, 10:23 PM
At 6'7" tall and 225 lbs, he needs a nice hunk of foam under him. I'm 6' and 190lbs, surf the same neck of the ocean your son does. Do the waves beef up in the winter with off-shore winds and an angry sea, yes, but he needs to remain on a longer board.

There are longboards, fun boards and short boards. A 'fish' (type of board) fits in on the shorter side.

Your son needs to know that surfing longboards in Hawaii or Northern California is normal. I surf a 9'4", 9'8" and a 10'. Too bad I wasn't here a while back, I sold a 9'6" Yater Spoon.

Anyway, your son is surfing a cheesy board sold in Walmart. It helped get him in the water, got him on his way, now he needs a new board. Your son on a short board would make no sense. Call down to these guys:

https://www.longboardhouse.com/index.php?cPath=1

They know their stuff, can paddle you in the right direction and supply the right stick ftw.

Then again, if I was going to buy a board, it'd be from here:

http://beckersurf.com/browse/productsubgroup.aspx?pgid=1&sgid=4

BSteele
10-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Took up surfing after moving to Nantucket, and I'm making the transition to a shorter board. At 6'2 190 lbs, my 9'2 Spyder is my go-to for most days here, but for the bigger days I use my Rusty 8' Desert Island (short board template, but bigger). Still a little big to duck dive, but it paddles well and is pretty responsive.

For his size/weight, I'd suggest a big guy tri or a transitional board. Going from a longboard to a 6'3 is a huge jump, and chances are he'll be pretty frustrated until he gets the hang. I've been eyeing a mod fish for my next board. The Walden Compact Disk looks like interesting, too - sort of a squished down longboard.

http://www.waldensurfboards.com/CD-Foam-P251C52.aspx

Keith A
10-24-2007, 09:32 AM
As Viper stated, your son does need a "nice hunk of foam under him", however I do think he can still ride a "short board", but I'm not sure that the one he is looking at would work for him very well -- especially coming from riding a long board.

First of all to address your concerns about the pointed nose. They do make some rubber protection tips (http://www.surfboardshack.com/surf_shop/noseguards/sunogu.html) for the nose of the board and I have one on my short board. Additionally, if you were having a custom board shaped, you could have the shaper just round the tip so it is so pointy. There is no reason to have a sharp point as it is never in the water when the board is being ridden.

I would say that your concern is somewhat justified as I have seen a number of injuries including several pretty serious damage done to some surfer's faces do to the point of the board. However, IMHO this is not a very common injury and would not be overly concerned about this. I've been surfing for 30 years and have never been injured by the point of my board.

As for the board choice for your son, he's going to be a little harder to fit compared to your average 18 year young man. I would suggest going to one (or more) of your local surf shops and talk to the guys there. Just like bike shops, there are some good ones out there that could be very helpful to a beginner -- and there are others that have an attitude that if you not one of the bro's, then they won't give you the time of day.

I have several boards for different wave conditions. My standard short board bigger waves is 6'3" which is the same length that your son is looking at -- but I'm a little under 5'10" and run between 150 to 155 lbs. I have a 5'11" fish for smaller & medium waves and a 9' long board for just messing around on...usually with my kids.

There is a BIG difference between riding a short board and a long board which your son is used to. It would be great if he could try one out before purchasing a board. Does his friends have one that he could ride? The surf shops might rent one that he could use. I would also suggest considering getting a used board to start off with. That way if he didn't work for him, he could sell it back to the shop or exchange it for another board. Again, finding a good surf shop to work with will help quite a bit.

I would think that a board more along the lines of this Rusty T2 (http://www.surftech.com/shaper.phtml?type=shortboards&typeId=8&labelId=67&boardId=1162&thumbInc=8) would serve your son much better.

BTW, I didn't even get into the issue of standard foam boards compared to epoxy based ones. Just know that there are different materials the boards are made out of which make the boards ride and float differently. The epoxy based boards float you more which some people like and others don't. They are also a little more resistant to being damaged.

Hopefully this helps some...just let me know if you have any more questions. You can send me a PM or email and I'd be happy to try and help.

PaulE
10-24-2007, 11:52 AM
The link I posted isn't exactly correct. He thinks the 7ft 3in or 7ft 6in version is the one for him, which is what I thought I was posting, but it looks like the 6ft 3in version is what comes up from that link. He has rented shorter boards in Outer Banks and Hawaii, so he has some experience with them.

It's also sinking in to me that this pointy tip is only one of many dangers associated with surfing.

Viper
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
The link I posted isn't exactly correct. He thinks the 7ft 3in or 7ft 6in version is the one for him, which is what I thought I was posting, but it looks like the 6ft 3in version is what comes up from that link. He has rented shorter boards in Outer Banks and Hawaii, so he has some experience with them.

It's also sinking in to me that this pointy tip is only one of many dangers associated with surfing.

You bike, you love cycling, right? Not the safest sport around, even ping pong has the element of danger/risk (lol). I think you get my drift, pun intended.

The goal of a surfer is to be a true waterman.

A surfer, a real surfer isn't someone who paddles hard ten times and pops up on a plank; no, a true surfer is one with the elements, the ocean, his former dwelling and the air, his current home. He/she is nearly incapable of drowning (the larger element of risk involved) as he/she respects the power of the ocean. He/she heard Tom Blakes, 'The Voice of the Wave' and within due time, he/she will fully understand what Blake meant. The actual tip/point of the board is no more/less dangerous than the tail, the rail or the fin...any piece of the board could knock one unconscious.

Surfing begins with swimming. Want to surf? Become a great swimmer. The ocean is about 8lbs per gallon in weight, a wave can become a wall of destruction or a floor of fun and although we once came from the ocean, we are now visitors to our former home.

Drowning is what goes through a new surfer's mind and something that never crosses the mind of a waterman.

Peace.

rinconryder
10-24-2007, 12:27 PM
I have been surfing for 20 years now. Did it twice a day, every day, for several years, and then have fell out of it more recently. The pointed nose on the surfboard is probably the least thing you need to be concerned with. There was a period where noses were really sharp and then makers realized that it didn't really serve a purpose, so they have since blunted them. In addition the make mose guards (a rubber device) that you can put on the tip, but that will pretty much take away from any cred that your son has in the water - can't think of the bike equivalent, maybe wearing one of those refelctive mirrors?

Anyway, the major danger areas arise from other surfers - 1) guys who don't know what the hell they are doing and end up paddling into a big lineup and get in the way, bail their boards at the wrong place, etc. 2) the fins on a board pose a far greater risk than the board. 3) the board is hard. So, the nose shouldn't really be a concern. In 20 years of surfing I have only been hurt a few times, mainly from user error - board hitting me in the face etc., but I have nearly been killed, or at least felt like I was gonna be killed by other morons in the water or getting caught inside and having 8 people take off directly in front of me as I am trying to duck dive.

Surfboard makers are like bike makers - everyone has their favorite. I think channel islands surfboards are by far the best. I would venture to say that more world champions have ridden these boards than anyone else and Al Merrick is the greatest shaper on the face of the plance. www.cisurfboards.com. I would say your son needs something like the Flyer I, Black Beauty, or the M13 - all big boy boards. Of course you can custom order a board as well after talking to the guys and the cost is the same as one out of the shop, just a little bit of a wait.

As for materials, I like regular fiberglass. Surfboards have not gone the way of bikes, i.e. the epoxy boards are not used by the more knowledgable surfers because the boards lack flex and have a very stiff feel to them. They are rigid.

Hope that helps. Probably makes things more confusing - but the bottom line is you can't buy a board on line. no way. Have your son talk to someone at a shop and they will help put him on the right board for his needs.

Keith A
10-24-2007, 12:38 PM

It's also sinking in to me that this pointy tip is only one of many dangers associated with surfing.That sounds more like it given his size. I wouldn't rule out the 6'11" size either.

As far as dangers go, I would say that you face equal if not more real dangers everyday that you get on your bike. These are the risks that you are aware of and hopefully are prepared to handle.

Surfing is the same, there are risks involved and you need to be prepared to handle whatever situation arises. Obviously there are surf spots that are much more hazardous than others and should only be surfed by experienced surfers. One of the most important things is that your son become comfortable in the water. He must become a good swimmer -- not necessarily the fastest one, but one that has good endurance and stamina. He should never paddle out in a situation that he would not be comfortable swimming in, because the reality is that he could loose his board out there and have to swim in.

He should always respect the ocean and recognize the potential for harm. One of the problems that both surfers and swimmers run into is that they get into situations when they are out of their comfort zone and they panic.

For many surfers, it is more a way of life rather than just an activity you enjoy doing. Carriers, relationships, vacations, work schedules, schooling and where you live are all based on your ability to drop everything when the surf is good. It takes a combination of elements to produce good or great surf and in some locations that doesn't happen often. So when it's on, you want to do everything you can to be there...otherwise you are one miserable person.

Hank Scorpio
10-24-2007, 08:49 PM
I am close to your sons size and I just started surfing this summer on the jersey shore. I have a 6' 10" Rusty Pirhana from surftech and it floats me fine. I would agree with most of the other posters that the tip of the board is of minimal danger. I saw a guy get run over in asbury park by a longboarder this past weekend and luckily neither were injured. The biggest thing he needs to be concerned with is paddling out in the right spot as to avoid a collision.

andy mac
10-24-2007, 09:21 PM
something like this would work well too and probably help him progress much faster. could easily go up to 8 foot +. easy to turn, paddle, and the performance would be a bazillion times better than the shaver he's riding.

http://www.surftech.com/shaper.phtml?type=&typeId=&labelId=18&boardId=988&thumbInc=0

or/

http://www.amazon.com/McTavish-Surftech-80-Carver-Funboard/dp/B0002KH60K/ref=sr_1_2/102-7385583-5056965?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1193278722&sr=1-2

i have a 7'4 carver in glass and i'm 6 foot/190. i wouldn't need/do justice to anything much smaller and i've been surfing (rather badly) for years.

there's a book by taj burrows that says don't 'learn' on a shortboard. it takes 10 years to 'learn' at minimum unless you are one of the blessed few. and at that size and weight your kid won't ever be. (kelly slater probably weighs 150 wet.)

i think it's probably a bit like bikes. there are boards and bikes that are right for you and your aspirations - then there are boards and bikes that look good to others... 11 cm drop anyone??

:beer:

andy.

PaulE
10-25-2007, 08:28 AM
We are going to a surf shop that carries the board he thinks he wants in the size he wants. We never planned to buy it online, I only posted that link as that is what was shown to me. Any surf shop is a minimum 1.5 to 2 hour drive for us. Hopefully he will tell them what he wants to do and they will offer some good suggestions that he'll listen to. On the ride down I will float the custom concept, but I suspect the wait factor will be an issue for him.

When we bought the BIC a few years back, it was a compromise between the soft board I was in favor of, what he wanted and the budget we set. Then he was 5 inches shorter and weighed less too. And for the record, we didn't buy it at Walmart, not that there's anything wrong with that, we did go to a surf shop.